America's Declining Military Budget

SFC13557

NES Member
From today's WSJ.

Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine has alerted most Americans that the world is becoming a far more dangerous place. Count it as a befuddling failure, then, that the military budget President Biden unveiled Monday doesn’t meet the moment. It treads water amid inflation and invites autocrats to exploit a widening window of American weakness.

The Pentagon is seeking $773 billion for fiscal 2023, and spending on national defense reaches $813 billion when other accounts are included. This sounds large, and Mr. Biden is pitching it as a big increase over his request last year. But even defense officials say the Pentagon would see only a 1.5% real increase over last year’s funding after inflation. Defense spending will still be about 3.1% of the economy, close to post-Cold War lows and heading lower over the next decade. (See the nearby chart.)

The Administration calls China a “pacing challenge,” and Russia an “acute threat,” and it touts $130 billion for research and development, including crucial efforts on artificial intelligence and 5G applications. Also welcome is $24.7 billion for missile defense, including a badly needed $892 million to defend Guam from Chinese missiles, and $27.6 billion for space capabilities. The Pacific Deterrence Initiative would get $6.1 billion.

But the overall budget picture is that the Biden team is betting on weapons that don’t yet exist for a war they hope arrives on someone else’s watch. They want to save money now in order to spend on what they say will be a more modern force in a decade.

To this end, the 298-ship U.S. Navy would buy only nine ships next year while retiring 24. The fleet would shrink to 280 ships in 2027, even as the Navy says it needs a fleet of 500 to defeat China in a conflict. That trend won’t impress Xi Jinping as he eyes Taiwan.

As for the Army, Mr. Putin’s revanchism will require more forward deployments by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. The alliance will need more troops and hardware in the Baltics, and much of this will have to come from the land branch. But the Army is seeking $177.5 billion, barely up from $174.7 billion last year and a cut after inflation.

End strength would fall to 473,000 from the 485,000 authorized last year. The Army shrugs because it hasn’t been able to fill all its spots in a hot labor market. This may relieve a recruiting headache for some general, but it won’t reduce the threats the Army may have to address in multiple theaters.

The Air Force “is now the smallest, oldest, and least ready it has ever been in its 75-year history,” as the Air Force Association put it this week, but the Pentagon plans to cut its buy of F-35 fighter jets this year.

The Air Force wants 33 F-35s, down from 48 requested in years past, which was still too few to upgrade the fleet in any reasonable time. In a future conflict, the U.S. will need these advanced aircraft to survive against sophisticated air defenses. Reducing purchases will put pressure on the supply chain and raise the per copy cost of the aircraft.

These hard-power priorities were squeezed in order to request, with great self-congratulation, $3.1 billion for climate change. This is consistent with a White House that wants to create a Civilian Climate Corps with more personnel than the Marine Corps. This $3.1 billion could be spent on weapons. The Navy’s ship retirements save $3.6 billion over five years, and the country needs that offensive power more than it does electric vans.

A couple more questionable decisions: The Administration appears to have canceled a program to develop a nuclear sea-launched cruise missile, precisely the kind of weapon designed to deter Mr. Putin from using tactical nukes in Europe. The Air Force also wants to retire much of its aging airborne warning and control fleet (Awacs) without a replacement in hand, but this capability is essential to air dominance in any conflict.

A decades-long decline in American military power is an under-appreciated reason the world’s authoritarians are on the march. We never thought we’d write this given its penchant for military pork, but Congress can do a lot to improve the Pentagon request, which should be a baseline. Republicans are suggesting the military budget needs to grow 5% in real terms. Congress should set a goal of returning the U.S. to its deterrent strength of the Cold War years, when defense spending was 5% or more of the economy.

If lawmakers don’t intervene, the U.S. might not be ready for the next war until a decade after we lose it.

We've seen this play out before during the Clinton years. He cut military spending, bases and materials across all branches of the military. It's why we were so ill prepared and equipped during the first Iraq war. Basically we're looking at history repeating itself.

Read an article that the Navy is going to scrap up to 10 Freedom-class littoral combat ships as their sacrifice for the budget cuts. These ships have had issues so I'm guessing they are going to be the sacrificial lamb for the Navy

Its a tough call. We've had a massive spend on military to give us things we take for granted today. Like open waters all over the world. The US has used it's defensive might in a post-WWII world to ensure that ports around the world are just open and unfettered. Imagine in China ran the western Pacific. Russia the area surrounding Japan.

The flip side - we don't get compensated for keeping the world "free." (Not free in democracy sense, but access sense.) It costs the US $ and no one else. And the rest of teh world shits on us for doing so.

My bigger concern isn't our global spend on defense. The WSJ is being disingenuous saying that military spending is only 3% of GDP. It's 10% of government spending, which seems high to me. It's not nearly high enough for me to worry about balanced budgets, but it's getting close. We need to figure out how to deal with the non-negotiables in our budget and fast. Interest payments (which are going up exponentially in the next 2 years), SSI, Medicare, Medicaid, military. Something has to budge. It's nice to rail against a $50mil bridge to nowhere, but it's a drop in the bucket on a $7T total US budget. It just doesn't matter. It's not even a rounding error in the grand scheme of things. It's an .00001% (I think I counted my zero's right) issue.

As referenced in WSJ: Opinion | The U.S. Military’s Growing Weakness

“As currently postured, the U.S. military is at growing risk of not being able to meet the demands of defending America’s vital national interests. It is rated as weak relative to the force needed to defend national interests on a global stage against actual challenges in the world as it is rather than as we wish it were. This is the logical consequence of years of sustained use, underfunding, poorly defined priorities, wildly shifting security policies, exceedingly poor discipline in program execution, and a profound lack of seriousness across the national security establishment even as threats to U.S. interests have surged.”

23B69850-7CA1-465A-8410-159BAEF70301.jpeg BCA28866-269E-42F1-B1A6-AACBE30D1875.jpeg 7118095A-4F5F-4A53-BF83-98053360D6FF.jpeg 9B4E3085-1F1F-43EB-82BD-220C0C179958.jpeg

As referenced in WSJ: Opinion | The U.S. Military’s Growing Weakness

“As currently postured, the U.S. military is at growing risk of not being able to meet the demands of defending America’s vital national interests. It is rated as weak relative to the force needed to defend national interests on a global stage against actual challenges in the world as it is rather than as we wish it were. This is the logical consequence of years of sustained use, underfunding, poorly defined priorities, wildly shifting security policies, exceedingly poor discipline in program execution, and a profound lack of seriousness across the national security establishment even as threats to U.S. interests have surged.”

View attachment 674807View attachment 674809View attachment 674812View attachment 674813

Interesting read. I'm a little skeptical on the Air Force being very weak and the Navy not having capacity. I'd have to read more into it, but I do agree that the goal posts keep moving and there are not enough funds or knowledge in place to keep moving our military to the latest whizbang that someone thinks up. Problem I see is that our military need to take a strong dose of what is current and keep a very careful eye on what happens in the Ukraine. Tanks unfortunately are easily susceptible to missile attack. Drones can hit targets all over a battle field. Missiles in number will make it through the Navy's defense screens. These are key things I think the Military really needs to start paying attention too. They might be already, but we don't know.

The plan for destroying America from within is moving along nicely. Just save/stack/prep what you can, while you can and keep your head low.

I strongly suspect that, at some point, things will change quickly and drastically as nothing has been, or will be done to stop it. It's too late now!

Back
Top Bottom