• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

20 State Attorneys General Push to Restrict 5.56mm Ammo to Military

Reptile

NES Member
A coalition led by New York Attorney General Letitia James, representing various U.S. states including New York, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Hawai‘i, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, has issued a letter to the White House, pushing for restrictions on the sale of military-grade ammunition to civilians.

5.56 ammunition is mostly used for legitimate, often essential, activities such as self-defense and recreational shooting The approach of penalizing the vast majority not only seems unjust but also encroaches upon the constitutional rights of Americans.

Suddenly paying $1.00 per round of investment grade 5.56 Lake City is a good idea!

And the industry pivoted and everyone re-barreled for 6mm Max and became more lethal.

Thankfully this isn’t going anywhere, at least on a federal level. It doesn’t stand up to even cursory constitutional muster. BUT, sadly the 1st circuit would do nothing to stop it.

Line up the a holes and shoot half with 223 and the other half with 5.56 and see if they can tell the difference. I don't know, just throwing ideas out there. 🤪

trying to restrict the ammo to make the firearms useless that use that ammo that are already in circulation.

Back door ban...

dems are good at going in the back door as evidenced by that intern video.
even in the worst of cases.... still... this:

"Ammo has been banned for 10 years, I think we're ready. Get everyone all gayed up in their operator gear and go door-to-door and get ze gunz....."

(oops... the average gunowner stocked 50,000 rounds and only magdumped 45,000 of them....)

Tfw you own pieces in .30-06, .30 carbine, 7.62 NATO, 7.62x54r, 8mm Mauser, and 7.7 Arisaka 😆 🤣 😂
I don't disagree with people having more calibers, but a major reason for .223/5.56 being popular is because it's cheap. Not many other options in the same price range for ammo. 7.62x39 and .300 BLK are close, but one that might be overlooked is 5.;7x28. From a 16 inch carbine, the 5.7 has decent velocity and range and compared to stuff like .308 the price is reasonable.

At least the article links to the actual letter:

While the letter rehashes the usual absurdities about "military-style" and "military-grade" materiel, it's specific to ammunition manufactured at the government-owned Lake City Army Ammunition Plant. While halting sales from Lake City for civilian and commercial use would require altering or terminating contracts with Winchester, it poses no constitutional issues.

A coalition led by New York Attorney General Letitia James, representing various U.S. states including New York, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Hawai‘i, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, has issued a letter to the White House, pushing for restrictions on the sale of military-grade ammunition to civilians.

5.56 ammunition is mostly used for legitimate, often essential, activities such as self-defense and recreational shooting The approach of penalizing the vast majority not only seems unjust but also encroaches upon the constitutional rights of Americans.

Suddenly paying $1.00 per round of investment grade 5.56 Lake City is a good idea!
Good. Maybe that will stop the turds at my range from chewing up all the steel targets with M855's. Ban that shit! [laugh] (Green tips and they are not allowed on steel)

Before anyone gets triggered- it's a joke. Though I do hate the morons wrecking our steel targets.

It has been addressed in the Massachusetts Constitution:

Article XVII.​

The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence. And as, in time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it.

It would seem that these various idiot AGs weren't able to figure out that it wasn't the DoD subsidizing civilian buyers, it's that the civilian buyers have been subsidizing the DoD by buying up all of Lake City's capacity excess to DoD needs, allowing the plant's operating contractor to maintain the possibility of switching to full DoD production at the drop of a hat. Leaves the DoD with no good options - they can either purchase the entire yearly production capacity whether they need it or not, or they can order only what they need and accept that the plant will not be able to switch more production to them and that their cost per round will go up when the economy of scale changes.

Either way, it's a major contract renegotiation.

That's why I shoot .500 Linebaugh extensively....much safer than 5.56. I save my 5.56 for bear defense.
Third-World-Skeptical-Kid.jpg

Back
Top Bottom