American Outdoor sells Savage to investors

I used to use a lot of good quality REI climbing and back backing equipment, clothes (including down winter parkas) made for them and tents (by mail order when their only store was in WA) , now they are nothing but a high end bicycle and canoe shop for the urban outdoor warriors.

Update, sort of [laugh]

Yesterday I towed a customer out to Longmeadow, he was a retired CEO from a skin care product company.
He told me he sold it to an investor group, took the money and retired. Since it was a long ride, we had a very interesting conversation. I asked about trademarks, IP and patents on the products, he was very friendly and forthcoming. I didn't ask about numbers, but the trademark was worth far more than the production facility.
Anyway, the subject of local gunmakers came up, and as we drove through Monson, I told him the history of Dan Wesson Arms. He wasn't a gun-guy per se, but he'd resided in area for over 30 years and was somewhat familiar with the regional history of gunmaking.
Then he tells me a friend of his, Al Kasper (another CEO type), recently bought Savage Arms from the Vista group.
Cool!
He said Al bought it for $170M, which is about half of what Vista paid for it in 2015.
The story Al told him was ; There was a mass shooting in Miami, and the wife of the owner of Vista asked her husband if they owned any gun companies. He answered "yes", then she went full moonbat and told him to divest themselves of the gun stuff, and be quick about it. So he did what he thought would be in his best interest and dumped Savage.

Then I asked if he knew if they were bringing back the Chief Lame Deer logo.
He couldn't answer that, but said he would ask.
Then I told him some History of Savage, and the honer bestowed upon Arthur Savage, as a gesture of friendship from Chief Lame Deer, to allow Savage to use his likeness for their logo.
I hope they bring it back. F-Vista Outdoors.

Update, sort of [laugh]

Yesterday I towed a customer out to Longmeadow, he was a retired CEO from a skin care product company.
He told me he sold it to an investor group, took the money and retired. Since it was a long ride, we had a very interesting conversation. I asked about trademarks, IP and patents on the products, he was very friendly and forthcoming. I didn't ask about numbers, but the trademark was worth far more than the production facility.
Anyway, the subject of local gunmakers came up, and as we drove through Monson, I told him the history of Dan Wesson Arms. He wasn't a gun-guy per se, but he'd resided in area for over 30 years and was somewhat familiar with the regional history of gunmaking.
Then he tells me a friend of his, Al Kasper (another CEO type), recently bought Savage Arms from the Vista group.
Cool!
He said Al bought it for $170M, which is about half of what Vista paid for it in 2015.
The story Al told him was ; There was a mass shooting in Miami, and the wife of the owner of Vista asked her husband if they owned any gun companies. He answered "yes", then she went full moonbat and told him to divest themselves of the gun stuff, and be quick about it. So he did what he thought would be in his best interest and dumped Savage.

Then I asked if he knew if they were bringing back the Chief Lame Deer logo.
He couldn't answer that, but said he would ask.
Then I told him some History of Savage, and the honer bestowed upon Arthur Savage, as a gesture of friendship from Chief Lame Deer, to allow Savage to use his likeness for their logo.
I hope they bring it back. F-Vista Outdoors.

Damned if you don't meet some interesting folks.

Damned if you don't meet some interesting folks.

Yes, I do.
The guy I met a few days earlier was even more interesting, he owns Hippie Shops in P-Town and Northampton.
Told me he was the original plaintiff in a precedent setting lawsuit against the state of Mass, back under the Ed King administration, when they shut down the Headshops. He was also a Zappa fan, told me stories about being in LA and SF in the 60's, seeing all the great bands and hanging out with the band members, then getting drafted for Vietnam.
But that's another story.

Yes, I do.
The guy I met a few days earlier was even more interesting, he owns Hippie Shops in P-Town and Northampton.
Told me he was the original plaintiff in a precedent setting lawsuit against the state of Mass, back under the Ed King administration, when they shut down the Headshops. He was also a Zappa fan, told me stories about being in LA and SF in the 60's, seeing all the great bands and hanging out with the band members, then getting drafted for Vietnam.
But that's another story.
Listening: I'm up for another piece of history

Back
Top Bottom