• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

American Outdoor sells Savage to investors

Hopefully this isn't Cerberus 2.0. That would kill Savage.

Savage guns aren't the best in the world but they're accurate, easy to modify, and economical. Think of the average guy's version of the Winchester Model 70 and a simpler alternative to the Remington 700. Without the wonky trigger issues.

I didn't know Savage was from Massachusetts [hmmm]
There used to be a large red brick Savage building right by the MA Pike in the western half of the state that had the Savage name up with the indian logo. Some folks apparently did not take kindly to the association and the sign, or at least the logo, was sacrificed on the alter of political correctness.

I didn't know Savage was from Massachusetts [hmmm]

They've had plants in Mass since 1920, when they bought Stevens Arms in Chicopee.
Savage also made 1917 Lewis Guns, and was also major producer of Thompson Guns and #4 Lee-Enfields for the government during WW2.
They were also one of the very few gun companies to make a .30-30 bolt action.

Savage Arms - Wikipedia

Here's a thread from three and a half years ago about the logo change.

Looks Like Savage Buckled To PC

When I heard about it, I went to their website store and bought a variety of hats featuring their former logo prominently.

There used to be a large red brick Savage building right by the MA Pike in the western half of the state that had the Savage name up with the indian logo. Some folks apparently did not take kindly to the association and the sign, or at least the logo, was sacrificed on the alter of political correctness.

IIRC, that was their old Chicopee facility.
As for axing the Chief Lame Deer logo, I'm sure that was a Vista thing, I hope the new ownership group brings it back. Maybe we should contact them and urge them to do so.
You'd think that maybe there would be a Savage insider here on NES who could help get the word through to upper management ?

Last edited:
It doesn't say in the press release who they sold Savage to, just says financial buyer for $170 million.

Here's the press release:
Vista Outdoor Announces Sale of Savage Brand

I've never owned, shot or even seen any firearms from Savage. Are they any good? I wonder if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Savage used to be a big player in the hunting rifle market in the 1950s and 1960s. The model 99 lever action rifle was considered a "hunters rifle" back then and Savage had enough market power to even design it's own proprietary cartridges.....the 300 Savage and the 303 savage.

The model 99 was innovative as it was the first lever action with a rotary magazine which allowed for the use of spitzer type bullets.

Savage also made the model 1907 pistol which was very successful commercially in a 32 cal. Savage entered this pistol Inna rechambered 45acp version to the government for the pistol trials that lead to the 1911 being adopted. The savage 1907 did very well in those trails and is considered by many to be the pistol that came in as runner up to the 1911.

Savage used to be a heavy hitter in the rifle world. Not so much anymore. The new investors have their work cut out for them.

Savage Model 99 - Wikipedia

1907 savage - Google Search

Last edited:
Man, some of you live in very small boxes ..lol

I have 2 rifles now that are incredibly good, with an itch for something in a useless caliber like .338

They have some decent features at reasonable price points.

Last edited:
I've got three of their rifles, two in .22 (one bolt, one semi), and a bolt action in .308. All decent quality at decent prices.

My 1928 A1 Thompson was made by Savage. They are unique in that the actuator/cocking knob is machined from bar stock, not separate parts. Damn nice machining. Best $500 I ever spent in 1990. Dealer sales sample. When I go out of biz, it'll end up with Little Jack, hopefully. Jack.

I drive by the main plant in Westfield every day, the parking lot has actually been empty since Wednesday last week, pretty wierd.

I have several Savage rifles from across the years. The newest one I have is a 110 in 30-06 that my son and I are about to turn into a bench rifle chambered in 280 Remington, maybe with the Ackley Improvement.
There are lots of people on YouTube that take a stock Savage and turn it into a 1000 yard gun for under $1000.

I love my savage mark ii ..22. Great gun and considering the price. Amazing gun

With a logo like that, they BETTER be from Massachusetts.

I heard it was a pretty Savage deal, FWIW. ;)

BREAKING: Vista Outdoor Sells Gun Maker Savage Arms to Investor Group - The Truth About Guns

I’d love to know how this all went down.... was the CEO just sick and tired of bigger companies telling him how to run Savage. And was all like
“ f*** it.... let’s just buy it”

Christopher Metz (Vista Ceo) has a reputation as a slash and burn, turnaround (performance is mehh) manager. Worked at/on black and decker, friendlys, arctic cat. IMHO they cut Savage partially because of the public/political optics of owning a gun company. That and the recent downturn (post election) in gun/ammo buying has had companies tightening their belts. A lot of gun companies ramped up production, as if expecting a Democrat win. In house and channel inventory (distributors, retailers) is still high, so manufacturers are working through the glut.
Vista still owns Federal, CCI, Blazer etc, as well as camping brands camelback, scope makers etc. So buy some guns/ammo, keep these companies healthy!

Last edited:
It doesn't say in the press release who they sold Savage to, just says financial buyer for $170 million.

Here's the press release:
Vista Outdoor Announces Sale of Savage Brand

I've never owned, shot or even seen any firearms from Savage. Are they any good? I wonder if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Ive got 4 savage rifles. 3 bolts and a semi. Love them all

You are welcome to shoot my A17 in .17HMR anytime...

dYUjg8k.jpg

:emoji_tiger:

Silly side note here; Savage makes a youth size single shot .22 bolt action called the Rascal.
Every time I hear that, it reminds me of a line from the Zappa song "Sy Borg" from the Joes Garage album, "plook me now you savage rascal".

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

I would keep the name and replace the Indian chief with Orange Man and let snowflakes complain!
Even better: Trump dressed up as the Indian from the Village People.
May as well throw insults across the entire snowflake spectrum.
Are the LGBTXYZPDQs insulted by the Village people yet? They will be.
How could they not be with all the semen in that "In the Navy" video?

I miss Chief Lame Deer...

MuseumIndian-ah-vn-012018-ph01

Because not all kids wanted to be the "Cowboys..."

REI Will Do Business With Vista Outdoor After Sale of Savage, Stevens | GearJunkie

From the article

Today, we notified our merchants that we will resume orders with Giro, Bell, CamelBak, Blackburn and Camp Chef on the news that their parent company, Vista Outdoor, has secured a buyer for Savage Arms.

REI orders of Vista-owned brands have been on hold since March 2018. At that time, Vista Outdoor chose not to engage in the national conversation about common-sense gun safety solutions that followed the tragic mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

REI does not sell guns or ammunition, and does not oppose hunting or the Second Amendment, but we believe companies that profit directly from the sale of guns have a civic responsibility to engage in the national discussion about gun safety, as Dick’s Sporting Goods, Walmart and others have done.

We understand and respect that our members and employees enjoy life outside in many ways — including hunting.

Savage has a great reputation on their rimfire lines of which I have one. It is extremely accurate though I do find the Savage magazines to be somewhat lack-luster but with that said, they have never given me any issues. I have a Savage BSEV in 17HMR. The fluted barrel is completely free floating due to the barracuda stock. I mounted swivel studs, added a latigo sling, Harris bench top swivel pod with a locking lever and a scope with a BDC for .17HMR with side parallax. To say it is accurate is an understatement but wind will affect it. On a windless day, popping small plastic soldiers at 50 yards is very easy, boring actually. Headshots on them is also very doable with a bit more concentration.

SavageBSEVimage_zps731e5ab5-2.JPG

I guess Savage makes some great rifles, right here in Massachusetts. I hope they continue to do so, and this isn't some sort of "Gordon Gecko, Wall Street" type of break up of the company and sell it off piece by piece.

In the ideal world, they would find their roots, and bring back a renewed 99 in .300 Savage and some of the newer calibers (6.5 Grendel/Creedmore), or even collaborate with one of the ammo companies and work on a new caliber.

REI Will Do Business With Vista Outdoor After Sale of Savage, Stevens | GearJunkie

From the article

Today, we notified our merchants that we will resume orders with Giro, Bell, CamelBak, Blackburn and Camp Chef on the news that their parent company, Vista Outdoor, has secured a buyer for Savage Arms.

REI orders of Vista-owned brands have been on hold since March 2018. At that time, Vista Outdoor chose not to engage in the national conversation about common-sense gun safety solutions that followed the tragic mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

REI does not sell guns or ammunition, and does not oppose hunting or the Second Amendment, but we believe companies that profit directly from the sale of guns have a civic responsibility to engage in the national discussion about gun safety, as Dick’s Sporting Goods, Walmart and others have done.

We understand and respect that our members and employees enjoy life outside in many ways — including hunting.

I used to spend a lot on money at REI.. I haven’t spent a dime there since they made that stupid move... and I still won’t

Back
Top Bottom