• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Outdoor House Camera

mitch28

NES Member
We ordered something off Facebook made in China
had some sort of app download etc. in the trash!
Ordered another one screw in mount came with a
USB cable? Don’t want a subscription service.
Help! Thanks.
Mitch

Been using WYZE have one in my shop and 2 on the house
Subscription is optional if you want to use cloud based storage and get notifications of movements
Or you can put an SD card in and it will loop record over it. Time of recording depends on the quality of the file saved and the card size

Depends what you want to do, budget, need, abilities, etc…

Check out: IP Cam Talk
Lot of info there to dig through. The preferred brand is Dahua. These are pro/installer type camera’s.

Last edited:
Stop being an NES skinflint pay for a subscription and get blink cameras.

I have 20 of them 10 at each house.

When I have them set up very tight nothing gets near my house without me knowing about it.

I see rabbits cats possums coyotes anything that comes in the driveway or to any of the doors or gates to the backyard

Most of the ones inside the house are plug-in the ones outside the house use lithium ion batteries I haven't replaced any of them yet and they have been running for over 2 years.

I have a couple here at the Florida house that swivel and tilt those are great.

Besides getting notifications on my phone if I hear something outside the house in the driveway I use my Alexa device and can look at the cameras on my Alexa devices

Stop being an NES skinflint pay for a subscription and get blink cameras.

I have 20 of them 10 at each house.

When I have them set up very tight nothing gets near my house without me knowing about it.

I see rabbits cats possums coyotes anything that comes in the driveway or to any of the doors or gates to the backyard

Most of the ones inside the house are plug-in the ones outside the house use lithium ion batteries I haven't replaced any of them yet and they have been running for over 2 years.

I have a couple here at the Florida house that swivel and tilt those are great.
If you buy the sync module then you don't need any subscription

What I did. NVR no subscription and POE. Costco might have also.

Link:

61EJ4mOER3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Lorex Fusion 4K Security Camera System with 2TB NVR - 8 Channel PoE Wired Home Security System with 4 IP Metal Dome Cameras - Color Night Vision, Long-Range...

So for these cams the USB plugs into one of those
iPhone square AC dongles for power?
Mitch

I have a few Wyze wired (USB cable plugs into wall wart for power) at the house and at MIL's in Falmouth.
Also have their indoor/ outdoor wireless (rechargeable battery powered) camera. Charge lasts a few months at a time.
No complaints other than the indoor/ outdoor camera sometimes has trouble finding our wireless network.
Just picked up another Wyze camera on sale at HD last week for $20. They're fun to play with. HD also had the Wyze floodlight cam (two LED floodlights plus cam) on sale for $50.

I have a few Wyze wired (USB cable plugs into wall wart for power) at the house and at MIL's in Falmouth.
Also have their indoor/ outdoor wireless (rechargeable battery powered) camera. Charge lasts a few months at a time.
No complaints other than the indoor/ outdoor camera sometimes has trouble finding our wireless network.
Just picked up another Wyze camera on sale at HD last week for $20. They're fun to play with. HD also had the Wyze floodlight cam (two LED floodlights plus cam) on sale for $50.
My wife didn’t like the wire so returned it and bought one with a rechargeable battery.
Mitch

Hate to say it, but I broke down and got Google Nest Cam and Doorbell. Wireless versions are simple to install. Doorbell charge lasted about 90 days, the wireless cam needs a charge every month or so. Had a Nest Hub already my wife loves to use and set up is a snap. You can see who is at the door via the hub.

Help! Thanks.
Mitch
i was extremely surprised by the cheap crap i got - i posted about it in the deals section. it still works and quite well, for what is matters.

I have 8 wired HD cameras (I think Lorex?) to a DVR that I can access with a free app. Every walkway/entrance is covered. No subscription, no real upkeep.

Only downside is the DVR setup is a bit complicated (at least for me) and I need to call the guy any time there’s a software glitch. Also, I guess the connectors are now outdated and upgrading cameras/DVR basically requires a full re-wire install.

Best security measure I did. Have 2 separate monitors at 2 different parts of the house on 24/7 in case I need to quickly check what’s up. Have only replaced the DVR once, cameras going strong for years.

If you're an Apple iCloud+ subscriber, check out their end-to-end-encrypted (E2EE) video offering, "Homekit Secure Video" . Works with several brands of camera, the cameras talk to a "home hub" (e.g. a HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad) and video uploaded to iCloud is encrypted.

Ring also offers an opt-in E2EE option, but it is more limited.

We ordered something off Facebook made in China, had some sort of app download etc. in the trash!
Every camera brand mentioned in this thread is made in China, mostly by a company complicit in the ongoing genocide in Xinjiang. To be fair, there are maybe a half dozen camera brands sold in the US not made in China, all expensive "commercial" PoE cameras from the likes of Axis (Sweden), GeoVision (Taiwan), Arecont, Bosch...

Most cheap consumer IP cameras are cloud-tethered, and can only be deployed via their proprietary app.

The wireless outdoor that take lithium aa batteries
Battery-powered cameras intrinsically offer the worst results in terms of detecting and recording motion.
All such cameras obtain their battery life by putting everything except for a passive IR detector to sleep, then when the PIR sees motion, hopefully the "camera" part wakes up in time to capture the tail end. Best solution to get good evidence is to go with hardwired (power-over-ethernet) cameras, unlike battery cameras they can be set for continuous recording, and unlike WiFi cameras will reliably send video to your recorder at full framerate/resolution.

Last edited:
Help! Thanks.
Mitch
I have a 4 camera, hard wired security system from Annke. No subscription or fee of any kind.
I also have a Tactacam Reveal trail cam that costs about a hundred dollars. You can buy a cellular plan for as low as $5 a month.

Back
Top Bottom