• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Always ask for a warrant before letting the police in

I had the cops enter my house that I just bought when I wasn't home. This happened in 2009. I had posted it on NES back then. This is what I wrote.
"So I bought a house in Claremont NH and have been slowly moving my stuff up to it. I moved all my guns up to the house (it took 5 trips), I still need to move most of the ammo and other stuff that was in my gun room. I have a pretty big gun collection

So my girlfriend and I are loading up the dogs to move to them too the house in NH and my cell phone rings and it is a 603 area code as I don't really know anybody in NH I picked it up and it was the Claremont police department. The asked me if this was Erik and if I just bought a house in town. I said yes to both questions. They asked me if I had been at the house on Friday (this is Sat when i got the call), I told them that I had left on Friday about 4:30pm to go to MA. They told me that they got a call from the people behind me that they heard alot of banging and crashing coming from my house at about 11:30pm on Friday night. The house that I bought was a forclosere and had been empty for a year. There had been some homeless guy living in it at some point during that year. So the sent an cop to go check it out. They walk around the house to make sure everything was locked (and it was), but they found a screen that was cut and lying on the porch (this screen was like that when I bought the house, I just hadn't do anything with it yet). So they think that someone might have gotten in the house and locked the window behind them. So the call the fire department and they bring down a door jam spreader so that they can get into the house and see if anyone is in there. So they walk through the whole house to see in there was someone in the house and they found no one. The fun part must have been when the opened the door to my gun room. Now i have about 6 gun cabniets in there also about 15 or 20 ammo cans stacked in the corner, I have some crates of ammo and more ammo on the first floor. In the gun room on the floor was my 1910 Maxim on it's wheeled mount, my MG34 on it bipod, my 1919 in the corner, a few other tripods and other gun stuff all over the floor. It would have been fun to see there faces when they got to that room.

So if I'm not know in town I must be now at least to the cops, I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing. They didn't say anything about the guns. They just said that everything was secure. I asked them if I needed to come down to the station and they said no. They said the only was they found my phone # was that they googled my name and Kingson's Traders came up and it had my cell phone #. They must have gottin my name from the mail that was on the counter and from my expired NH pistol permit that was on the counter. So that is the fun I have been having up here in NH. So I hope that it is not a bad thing that the cops know that I have a lot of guns (and big scary ones too)"

I have sence sold that house and got out of Claremont NH.

For instance, police (and anyone else not under a trespass notice) can legally walk up and knock on your door. If you step out, they can now justify cuffing you “for their safety” and giving you a terry frisk.

No, not completely randomly, but if they suspect you of something, they can do it.
Or they can do it randomly and make up a reason.

Better to stay inside with the door locked and talk to them through an open window or through the dead-bolted front door instead.

I have not answered my door in probably 10 years. Anyone that's welcome in my house has a key and knows they can just come in.....or walk around back to the backyard.

If my doorbell rings I never answer it. I have a window in my living room (raised ranch) that overlooks the front door. If it's a solicitor or the damn jovah porch joggers ringing the bell they get nothing but dogs barking. If they ring a second time the window opens and injust say "not interested in anything please leave".
We live in a townhouse with a detached garage on the second floor. Two exterior doors lead into the building. Then there are two interior doors to the unit, plus reinforced steel interior doors leading to our bedrooms. Good enough for the Haverhill police station, good enough for our home.

I seem to remember that with a 911 'hangup" (someone calls 911 and just hangs up) police will come and check it out and even ask to go inside and look around - not taking the homeowner's word that all is ok. I don't know if it is a federal requirement or local - the idea being that someone in trouble may have been interrupted in calling for help.

Given the sheer amount of large knives and number of firearms on display in the great room, they'd be really, really nervous. So, no warrant = no entry. [rules] [grin]

When i had a medical in my house, I didn't block them from the patient, but kept eyes on what was going on with the unknown in my yard.

One of the rookies looked out a window that was inbthe knly room they entered and asked about a town line, and I said about where it was.

The question came up cause of a car chase, accident, and foot chase that occurred 9 hours before

Honestly why even respond to a knock on the door?

Do I have to even say anything? I’ll just ignore them.

If they have a warrant, no matter what I say, they are coming in.
"Exigent circumstances". If you don't answer or acknowledge them, the cops could kick your door down. Last summer this riced out douche civic farted a couple backfire pops as it passed my house in rapid succession and I guess the shotspotter picked it up and my local PD thought it was automatic gunfire. Showed up pounding on my front door with ARs slung. Don't want cops to see the inside of your house? Don't give them a reason to kick your door down and potentially shoot you in their adrenaline rush.

"Exigent circumstances". If you don't answer or acknowledge them, the cops could kick your door down. Last summer this riced out douche civic farted a couple backfire pops as it passed my house in rapid succession and I guess the shotspotter picked it up and my local PD thought it was automatic gunfire. Showed up pounding on my front door with ARs slung. Don't want cops to see the inside of your house? Don't give them a reason to kick your door down and potentially shoot you in their adrenaline rush.
Or give you a reason to return fire and kill the jackboots! That's why they want our centerfire semiautomatic rifles. Those things will tear through their ballistic vests like a hot knife through butter.

Or give you a reason to return fire and kill the jackboots! That's why they want our centerfire semiautomatic rifles. Those things will tear through their ballistic vests like a hot knife through butter.
Do you have enough homies to even the odds, or will it be a last stand based on principle? Coppers usually bring a good number with them before breaching your house. 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, MSP, BPD SWAT kicking everyone out of their homes so they can go thru your shit. 2013 Never Forget. LE knows they can pull 'exigent circumstances' out of their ass whenever they want now lol.

AP_swat_searching_homes_nt_130419_6_4x3_992.jpg
li-620-search-cp-04313065.jpg
ca3e54f2-f691-46c8-a748-c7c1d7a54b37.jpg

I read somewere that a dude had this, and the cops did exactly what was asked.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I can imagine a judge with the "If you have nothing to hide...." mentality issuing one.

Oh.....dude with the doormat, got jammed up.

He didn't get jammed up because of the doormat.

And the fact that they were there at all means they already had intent to get a warrant, but figured they might not need it if they got let in.

Or put another way: That doormat didn't make anything worse for him. If anything, it gave him time to hide/move/destroy/clean-up anything that they might have seen otherwise.

Destroying evidence is a crime, of course, so I'd never do that.

Do you have enough homies to even the odds, or will it be a last stand based on principle? Coppers usually bring a good number with them before breaching your house. 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, MSP, BPD SWAT kicking everyone out of their homes so they can go thru your shit. 2013 Never Forget. LE knows they can pull 'exigent circumstances' out of their ass whenever they want now lol.

View attachment 818605
View attachment 818606
View attachment 818607
Wouldn't matter. Return fire. Five ATF jackboots died at Waco. One died at Ruby Ridge after return fire killed a child-murdering U.S.Marshal. Every time I hear about a POS cop getting shot dead, I am happy. I only hope and pray I will be selected for the jury: my vote? Not guilty! Then I owe the shooter a beer or two!

Wouldn't matter. Return fire. Five ATF jackboots died at Waco. One died at Ruby Ridge after return fire killed a child-murdering U.S.Marshal. Every time I hear about a POS cop getting shot dead, I am happy. I only hope and pray I will be selected for the jury: my vote? Not guilty! Then I owe the shooter a beer or two!
My college in TN, where I was going for criminal justice, had one of the ATF agents from Waco as a guest speaker. He brought in his MP5 and a few other toys, but said, "My partner (the agent on the roof, who you can see getting shot up through the roof under him) was murdered, as soon as that happened, everyone in that compound was dead". I should have known at that point that I wasn't going to be able, in good faith, to be a LEO. So many red flags, I should never have thought I'd be a good cop. It's cost me quite a lot in therapy since I left the profession.

My college in TN, where I was going for criminal justice, had one of the ATF agents from Waco as a guest speaker. He brought in his MP5 and a few other toys, but said, "My partner (the agent on the roof, who you can see getting shot up through the roof under him) was murdered, as soon as that happened, everyone in that compound was dead". I should have known at that point that I wasn't going to be able, in good faith, to be a LEO. So many red flags, I should never have thought I'd be a good cop. It's cost me quite a lot in therapy since I left the profession.
The U.S. Marshal who murdered a young boy and was killed by return fire at Ruby Ridge has a shrine dedicated to him at the Moakley Federal Courthouse in Boston. The guy who pulled the trigger and shot that jackboot bastard dead is the real hero as far as I am concerned.

The U.S. Marshal who murdered a young boy and was killed by return fire at Ruby Ridge has a shrine dedicated to him at the Moakley Federal Courthouse in Boston. The guy who pulled the trigger and shot that jackboot bastard dead is the real hero as far as I am concerned.

I don't think you're wrong.

"Hold him" or hold the parents? Or hold both? At 15, kid was a minor. If illegal drugs or weapons were found, kid goes to juvenile court. Parents would face charges as well, since they are responsible for disciplining him and protecting his welfare. Then CPS gets copies of the arrest reports, kid ends up in foster care...family damaged forever. Your chief was a real prick! Sadly, there are many others like him in law enforcement.
Chief wanted leverage on the kid, not the parents, in case the kid showed the psych docs that he was perfectly fine and should be allowed to go home. My chief was an a**h***, and I stand by that.

Last edited:
All it takes is a neighbor calling 911 while you’re not home saying that she saw smoke coming from your house and five minutes later there’s a cop and fire fighters in your basement. Suddenly the cop sees a firearm out on your workbench that your were tinkering with earlier in the day and now you’re charged with improper storage. I know of several similar scenarios to this that have happened.

Also don’t think this is limited to residences. If you’re driving along and your vehicles becomes disabled, the cops have authority to order it towed if they deem it to be a hazard. When they do that they’ll conduct a motor vehicle inventory (aka warrantless search that has been upheld by SCOTUS) and can charge your for anything they find during it.
I actually run go-pros when I use rental cars now. If you're pulled over and searched and that 4-month-old breadcrumb under the floormat tests positive for something you're fked. Later, the gopro can prove whatever they found wasn't placed or brought into the car by you since you recorded every second of yourself in the vehicle along with everything you did or didn't do. (if you have a good enough attorney to get that evidence into the hands of the jurors I guess).

We have one of those drive by our house every few nights. Back a few days after the Lewiston shooting, he ripped about 4 or 5 good ones at the top of the hill. 6 cruisers showed up. 4 town and two state. It deescalated quickly, but that was a scenario where anyone farts wrong and dies.

Sitting and staring out of a hotel window
Got a tip they're gonna kick the door in again
I'd like to get some sleep before I travel
but if you got a warrant I guess you're gonna come in

Busted - down on Bourbon Street
Set up - like a bowling pin
Knocked down - it gets to wearing thin
They just won't let you be

lately it occurs to me, what a long, strange trip its been.

Idk about you most cops run level 4 plates which will stop pretty much all .556

Problem is, so many people have the mind set of "If you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't worry!" and just let them on in, or let them search their vehicle. I had a visit once from one of the federal agencies. I went out my front door and chatted with him. Several times he mentioned that it would probably be more comfortable talking inside. I had nothing to hide, but I just kept telling him I'd rather stay outside and talk.

"I can grab you a lawn chair if you'd like." LOL

Back
Top Bottom