Alternatives to Millet 1-4x24 DMS?

Mass-diver

NES Member
I'm thinking about buying one of these for my sig556, but I keep reading that they are junk.

While I don't have 1K to spend (no ACOG for me), I was wondering if there are any alternatives that are a little higher quality for a little more money. Or is the Millet good enough for my SHTF rifle (i.e. I not going to be shooting competition with it, but I need quality)?

Thanks for any comments/feedback.

where did you read that they were junk? There's 38 reviews of it on midway, all of which are 4 stars or higher.

The two best scopes in this class are the Nightforce NSX 1-5 and the Leupold MRT 1-5. Larue Tactical has em both at about the best price you will find.

While series 1 Millet DMS suffered from some issues, the remedy seems to have worked and I've read nothing to indicate they are junk at all. They get panned by folks bathing in the higher end, but the reviews I've read have been very good for a versatile scope at a great price.

Still, if you feel the need to go big or go home, I'd go for a Schmidt-Bender Short Dot...Words are hard to come by at what a nice scope it is.

Closer to earth, Derek has a superb Leupold on his M4...He can give you the finde details, but it's a laser beam...

Last edited:
Thanks guys

I read a few threads on ar15.com that there where problems with glass clarity and "mushy" adjustments - but I did see lots of positives too.

Thanks guys

I read a few threads on ar15.com that there where problems with glass clarity and "mushy" adjustments - but I did see lots of positives too.

Millet had a few issues with "fisheye" at low magnification and fungus in the tubes. Also some reports of inconsistent illumination. Those were early in the middle of the initial run and by the end of series one, they cleared up. Problem is, there are many of those units floating in the used marketplace. Millet also answered the illumination issues with a better light source and a hard reticle back-up. You can tell new series scopes by the finger tab adjustments and the room for a spare battery in the side cover. They stand behind their products however and fixed those issues. Series two units are GTG...

Thanks Mark, I just grabbed one from Midway on sale, I'm going to use a larue mount, should be a sweet set up!

Millet had a few issues with "fisheye" at low magnification and fungus in the tubes. Also some reports of inconsistent illumination. Those were early in the middle of the initial run and by the end of series one, they cleared up. Problem is, there are many of those units floating in the used marketplace. Millet also answered the illumination issues with a better light source and a hard reticle back-up. You can tell new series scopes by the finger tab adjustments and the room for a spare battery in the side cover. They stand behind their products however and fixed those issues. Series two units are GTG...

Thanks Mark. I have officially added one to my Christmas list :)

Thanks Mark, I just grabbed one from Midway on sale, I'm going to use a larue mount, should be a sweet set up!

As an official mark for anything LaRue, I have to agree - what a sweet set-up. I'm tempted to buy the Millet with the Burris PEPR - everything I've read on it has been stellar, but I think I'll cave and spend the extra dough on an SPR...

Thanks Mark. I have officially added one to my Christmas list :)

I think you will be a happy camper my friend...Glad to help.

Just got the scope in the mail and opened the box, wow, really nice!

Now for the Larue mount to arrive...

Hope you enjoy it! I have the same scope on my Sig 556 as well mounted with a Wilson Combat 30mm mount. Works great though once I pick up a bolt action rifle in .308 or .338 lapua mag for long range I'll be replacing the Millet with an Eotech and use the Sig 556 for closer range shooting

Back
Top Bottom