Almost got a deer with my truck

On my way into work this morning. On Rt. 2, with the cruise control on at 60MPH, at 3 in th morning, all of a sudden I realize there's something standing in the middle of the right lane. I had just enough time to hit the brakes to ABS activation and swerve into the left lane as it just stood there. If I'd been in traffic it'd been bad. I entertained the idea for a second of rolling down the window and pulling my CCW...

Iffin' you manage to wack one with your truck, don't forget to ask for your free deer tag so you can fill your freezer !

Oh, and watch out for Moose too... [smile]

I have had the unfortunate experience of hitting three over 5 years or so. I work in Canton right next to Blue Hills and it always happened after a very late night when I was leaving in the Midnight to 2am timeframe. I had only minor damage on a Grand Am, but needed some significant body work on my Bonneville and my Trailblazer. The Trailblazer was only 3 weeks old when I hit the deer. I couldn't believe it at the time. If ever there was one place that needed hunters with a slew of tags to fill, that place is it.

I was in a vehicle once where the driver approached and braked, and the deer started running off the road and then the driver hit the horn, and the deer turned squirrel-like and ran in front of the vehicle. To this day I break and expect the thing to do an about face in front of me at any moment.

Use the horn while you are still some distance away. Animal should move before you get close enough to be a problem. That's what works for me.

I watched one run across a three lane highway, OVER a sports car, and across the other side of the highway as well, in heavy, fast moving traffic, without anyone getting hurt. That was maybe the closest to seeing a unintentional deer-vehicle interface that I've ever gotten.

I did watch a Maryland state trooper shoot a struck deer about a dozen times once.

Hit the brakes AND the HORN! Holding on the horn works to get them to move rapidly. BTDT and it's worked each time.
????

But then you might MISS him! Hit the high beams and the accelerator. And tell the officer that you'll keep the deer.

Yeah sure, and you'll eat the deductible plus be buying a new car after you get out of the hospital. Very expensive venison! [rolleyes]

About ten years ago I was with a bunch of friends heading back from "La Casa de Fiesta" in Millinocket ME. We were wrapping up a week long snowmobile trip near Moosehead Lake. Shortly after I turned onto the Golden Rd heading toward Baxter State Park a moose came up the enbankment on the side of the road, briefly turned and looked at my truck, then began running down the center of the road away from me. I braked hard and moved as far to the right as I could, but still ended up hitting the moose.

It's antlers came through the windshield, and the rear view mirror was thrown into a rear passenger's lap. Luckily the moose did not slide up over the hood and instead fell off to the left of the truck. It died shortly thereafter and we fetched a ranger to take a report. He helped us gut the moose and we eventually ended up with 280 pounds of moose meat.

I duct taped the hole in the windshield and drove the truck back to MA. Here's the truck. Still on the road ten years later with 275,000 miles and the dent in the roof from his nose.

truck_moose.jpg

Here's the moose. Note the tag on the antler making it a legal kill. [grin]

moose.jpg

Sense of humor failure.

I lost my sense of humor about deer and cars after one ran out and hit our car, causing $3K in damage (and we were going NMT 25 mph) on a rural road around here. Seen too many since then also meandering out in the road in the dark.

My wife has come close to hitting deer 3 times in the past 3 weeks: each time it is driving past the apple orchard near our home at 5am.

She has now learned to drive 25mph there instead of 50mph.

Haven't seen any in our back yard yet although we did come across a bow hunter in the conservation land next to our house, I saw him from about 50yds away, my wife never noticed him (once we passed him I asked her if she saw the hunter and her reply was "what hunter?").

That looks like Kokadjo, if I'm not mistaken.

Yep. Spent a lot of time there in the late 90s. Fred and Marie were always great hosts. I've heard they've updated the cabins quite a bit since then too. In a few more years my kids will be old enough to come along for some serious rides and I hope to be a regular there again.

-Nat

You killed Bambi! [laugh] Seriously, glad you weren't injured.

About six years ago my brother hit one on 195 just outside Fall river. He was driving a brand new Corvette that he had bought about 3 months previously. The deer took out his grille, bounced up over the hood, cracked the moon roof fell back down over the rear of the car. It then proceeded to run off into the woods! [shocked]

IIRC, the insurance total came to over $7,000.

He was not a happy camper. All he kept saying was "G**D***ed deer!"

I had a buck lower its antlers and ram the side of my truck a few years back when I was stopped at a red light coming out of Foxwoods. I had won some money and I figured he was trying to get the cash back to the tribe. He rammed the truck then just shook his head and dashed off into the woods. If three other people weren't with me in the truck I don't think anyone would believe it.

Back
Top Bottom