AK - Troopers Stop Woman For Carrying An Unholstered Handgun

A former Fairbanks police officer has filed a complaint against two Alaska State Troopers, saying they badly overreacted to her decision to legally carry an unholstered handgun while taking a walk last week.

Beth Allard said she was carrying a snub-nosed .38-special revolver while walking near her mother's home off Farmers Loop on Thursday evening when she was contacted by two Alaska State Troopers.

>snip<

Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters agreed that Allard was not breaking any law by carrying the unholstered weapon, but she said a trooper response to such a situation is almost guaranteed.

http://www.ktva.com/ci_15077334?.

Troopers owe her a written apology. I know it was unholstered in her hand but it is commonplace there. There are more than bad guys that walk the streets there. There were 5 maulings of joggers and mt bikers within Anchorage city limits and Fairbanks isn't much better.

Beth Allard's Letter To The Editor...

Deciding law
by Beth Allard, North Pole
20 hrs ago | 478 views | 40 40 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Letter to the Editor

May 12, 2010

To the editor:

I am the woman who had the disturbing contact with Trooper Enders regarding carrying my .38 in my hand. After reading the article in the paper, I just wanted to clear up a few points.

This was not about getting apologies or written reprimands; this was about the judgment and tactics used by these troopers after they realized this welfare check was nothing more than a citizen following the law and carrying her firearm safely.

What the paper failed to mention, and what was so disturbing to me, was the fact that these troopers decided they were not going to let me follow the law, that they were going to decide what the law was for me that day.

These troopers threatened to throw me in jail and let me explain it to a judge if I did not agree to somehow conceal this small .38 revolver. When I asked what I was going to jail for, Trooper Enders responded for “reckless endangerment.” After I pointed out there was no reckless endangerment, the trooper then told Trooper Neason to “confiscate her gun.” He said I could explain it to the lieutenant.

The other thing I need to correct is the fact that there was no angry exchange on my end. I spoke slowly and softly the whole time. At that point, I was not angry; I was in absolute shock at being told I was either going to jail or getting my gun confiscated.

Thank you for letting me clear up those points.

http://newsminer.com/bookmark/7424920-Deciding-law.

What part of "Allard was not breaking any law" merits "a guaranteed trooper response"?

In most (if not all) states the cops are required to respond to 911 calls, which is why every broken phone, kid playing with the phone and other stupidity always gets responded to. It's also not illegal to walk around Logan airport with swords a few days after 9/11, or to hang around a closed business late at night, but either one will still elicit a police response if someone calls 911 for it.

Allard said she was taking a walk while carrying a handgun for protection. Without a fanny pack or holster to store the revolver in, she chose to carry it in her hand instead. Allard said she kept the small pistol, which is roughly the size of a water bottle, pointed down with her finger away from the trigger, a method she frequently uses while jogging.

She said Enders and Neason approached her with guns drawn as she walked on a dirt road off Auburn Drive. She was upset that the contact stretched on for about 20 minutes and, she said, included an angry exchange with accusations of her acting recklessly and carrying the weapon in an unsafe manner.

Allard was not arrested and said the troopers were correct in making the initial contact, but she believes she should have been released promptly because she was not violating any law. Allard said she has been carrying the small pistol that way for the past 15 years and had never previously been contacted by authorities.

If the story was reported correctly (and I stress the "if"), the troopers involved acted like dickheads with the threats of filing trumped up "contempt of cop" charges.

Also, if the story was reported correctly, this lady's a whiny moron. She was stopped for 20 minutes and possibly yelled at. She also bitched that the troopers approached her with guns drawn, when her own gun was drawn, which she doesn't think is a big deal, but apparently the troopers should always keep their guns holstered when dealing with armed people...WTF? She regularly walks around with a gun in her hand too [rolleyes], because for 15 years she hasn't been able to effectively conceal a .38 snub.

It sounds like Meleanie Hain got stopped by Rodney Farva and they engaged in a stupid exchange on the side of the road. Now the uninformed think cops and gun owners are equally inept.

I'd personally like a face-to-face apology from all three of these idiots for making my life more difficult.

Huh. I wasn't aware pigs thrived that far north.

Don't you think that's a little uncalled for? Lots of cops serve well and professionally, including saving lives.

They were clearly wrong here, but I think we could point out there errors without the name calling. Just my 2 cents!

Don't you think that's a little uncalled for? Lots of cops serve well and professionally, including saving lives.

They were clearly wrong here, but I think we could point out there errors without the name calling. Just my 2 cents!

If his other posts are any indication, he's got a little thing against cops.

If his other posts are any indication, he's got a little thing against cops.

I have nothing against cops. I despise pigs.

If you don't understand the difference, I don't know what to tell you. Are you going to defend the actions of the Officer's as the woman states they were?

If you don't understand the difference, I don't know what to tell you. Are you going to defend the actions of the Officer's as the woman states they were?

If you'll re-read my post, you can't miss the words....."They were clearly wrong here, but...."

If you'll re-read my post, you can't miss the words....."They were clearly wrong here, but...."

Making mistakes is not the same as harassing a citizen for a lawful activity, escalating into threatening a citizen with (wrongful) arrest for a legal activity, along with threatening to confiscate (steal) a tool for self defense from someone who is using it in a legal fashion.

Making mistakes is human. Acting the way the cops did in the article (if it went down as the lady claims) does not make them mistaken... it makes them fascist pigs. I'm sorry if you feel that that's name calling. I don't subscribe to the PC bullshit that we're inundated with... I'll call a duck a duck, thank you very much.

I will add that jogging with a .38 in your hand seems odd, but then again I don't live someplace where the wildlife routinely eats the populace. perhaps I'd feel better about the whole ordeal if she'd been jogging with a .454 instead.

Sounds to me like a typical officer contact where he just doesn't like what you are doing (legal or otherwise) and sees fit to let you handle the expese of letting the judge sort it out. She should send him the legal bill to pay out of his unenjoyment check.

Should she have been checked out? Absolutely. And then sent on her way when all was found to be well. This buttmunch decided that he was going to make policy for her that day.

There is a show on national geographic, called "alaska state troopers". Basically, the show is tv coverage of the trooper going around trying to cause trouble for very minor stuff. Ho boy, report of a guy drinking a beer in town, lets go find him and lock him up in the state pen.! Routine pix of them harrassing legal hunters and fishermen, snowmobilers, guys parking their truck along the road so "they must be doing something illegal", etc etc.

Maybe it is the philosophy of frontier justice....there is nobody else around so I AM THE LAW, RESPECT MY AUTHORITY! But those guys seem way over the edge.

From what I have seen on that show, I would give this poor lady the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Are you going to defend the actions of the Officer's as the woman states they were?

My post was clear, I haven't defended them and I'm not starting now, assuming that the story was reported correctly.

From what I have seen on that show, I would give this poor lady the benefit of the doubt on this one.

TV, including "reality" shows, is responsible for a lot of people misunderstanding police work. Ask a cop who's been filmed on a reality TV show like Cops, they routinely re-shoot scenes, edit out facts/details and use other trickery to make things seem like something that they aren't. Again, for the folks who foam at the mouth at the sight of a badge, I'm not defending sh*tty cops, but I am saying that I've personally seen many good arrests, use of force up to and including shootings turn into an incorrectly reported media circus.

I'll generally give the cops the benefit of the doubt when it comes to news stories, in the same way that I give the lawfully armed law abiding citizens the benefit of the doubt when it comes to news stories.

What are you, some aging Hippie who`s still got it out for the cops? Calling the cops "pigs" went out a long time ago. Rather insulting and demeaning. Also makes you look ridiculous.

What are you, some aging Hippie who`s still got it out for the cops? Calling the cops "pigs" went out a long time ago. Rather insulting and demeaning. Also makes you look ridiculous.

[laugh2]

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Thanks.

[laugh2]

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Thanks.

Now problem. Now answer the question. Are you an aging hippie who still refers to cops as"pigs". If not then why would you call a cop you disagree with a "pig". Is your use of the word "pig" restricted to cops or anyone who disagrees with you? Just asking?

Now problem. Now answer the question. Are you an aging hippie who still refers to cops as"pigs". If not then why would you call a cop you disagree with a "pig". Is your use of the word "pig" restricted to cops or anyone who disagrees with you? Just asking?

First, the word you were looking for was "no". As in, "no problem". Sorry, pet peeve.

Second, I'm not sure I feel like giving you an answer. Mostly because the sum of your inaccurate assumptions are good for a few chuckles for me and the handful around here that know me, but also because I don't take well to having things demanded of me by strangers on the internet.

So, I'll leave you wildly guessing as to who/what I am. But, I will clarify my position on the use of the disparaging term "pig", for you...

Personally, when I use the term "pig" to describe a LEO, I am specifically describing a LEO who though abusing his power either in the execution of his official duties, or while off duty, treats a citizen as if they are somehow a lower class of human being, AKA a "subject". Hearkening back to the likes of "Animal Farm" and the concept of "some animals are more equal than others".

"Pig" is meant as the most vile thing an individual LEO can be called, for truly, as public servants, for an Officer of the law to violate the trust the citizenry have placed in him (or her) is one of the most vile acts that can be committed.

"Pig" is not a disparaging term that somehow magically applies to more than the intended individual target of the slur, the "body en mass" of the LEO community. If the LEO community takes it as such, it's a problem they have to figure out. The "group think/group feel" concept of a whole class of people being injured by an attack committed against one of the class's individuals is just PC bullshit.

Both sides seem to agree the responding officers were in the wrong here. This whole kerfluffle is about being called a name? Really? Sticks and stones anyone? You have no Constitutional right to not be offended.

First, the word you were looking for was "no". As in, "no problem". Sorry, pet peeve.

Second, I'm not sure I feel like giving you an answer. Mostly because the sum of your inaccurate assumptions are good for a few chuckles for me and the handful around here that know me, but also because I don't take well to having things demanded of me by strangers on the internet.

So, I'll leave you wildly guessing as to who/what I am. But, I will clarify my position on the use of the disparaging term "pig", for you...

Personally, when I use the term "pig" to describe a LEO, I am specifically describing a LEO who though abusing his power either in the execution of his official duties, or while off duty, treats a citizen as if they are somehow a lower class of human being, AKA a "subject". Hearkening back to the likes of "Animal Farm" and the concept of "some animals are more equal than others".

"Pig" is meant as the most vile thing an individual LEO can be called, for truly, as public servants, for an Officer of the law to violate the trust the citizenry have placed in him (or her) is one of the most vile acts that can be committed.

"Pig" is not a disparaging term that somehow magically applies to more than the intended individual target of the slur, the "body en mass" of the LEO community. If the LEO community takes it as such, it's a problem they have to figure out. The "group think/group feel" concept of a whole class of people being injured by an attack committed against one of the class's individuals is just PC bullshit.

No problem Professor? Typing error.
Since you refuse to answer the question of whether you restrict the use of the word "pig" to cops who piss you off or the general public I would advise you that where I come from calling someone a "pig' is a reason to get your ass kicked in. Example, call someone`s wife/ girlfriend a "pig" and you probably will get your ass kicked. Call someone`s daughter a "pig" and you will probably get your ass kicked. Just a little advise from me to you. Words have a powerful effect on some members of our population. Some people don`t subscribe to the sticks and stones saying.
Just a little advise

Both sides seem to agree the responding officers were in the wrong here. This whole kerfluffle is about being called a name? Really? Sticks and stones anyone? You have no Constitutional right to not be offended.

You are correct but what do you think would happen if you went up to a crowd of African-Americans and called them the "N" word? You can be arrested and prosecuted for a hate crime merely for uttering a word.

You are correct but what do you think would happen if you went up to a crowd of African-Americans and called them the "N" word? You can be arrested and prosecuted for a hate crime merely for uttering a word.

Please, cite the law. Respectfully, I believe you are mistaken.

... You can be arrested and prosecuted for a hate crime merely for uttering a word.

And that's right?

I'm not saying anything further so as not to muck this thread up anymore then it is. If you want to persue this with me further please go to PM as dad has said 'enough'.

There is a show on national geographic, called "alaska state troopers". Basically, the show is tv coverage of the trooper going around trying to cause trouble for very minor stuff. Ho boy, report of a guy drinking a beer in town, lets go find him and lock him up in the state pen...

#1. Haven't seen but maybe a partial episode of the show.

But having spent a bit of time up there "in my youth" as well as having a family member or two who live up there, I'll comment on the above briefly. Like it or not a number of villages up ther are DRY, and despite national prohibition being over for 70ish years they remain dry, and probably for good reason (spend 1/2 an hour outside of "touristee" Alaska and you'll figure it out). On top of that "drunk in public" or variations there of is criminal in probably all states...

As for locked up "in state pen", I don't know the answer to this, but just a guess with the exception of some of the bigger cities, I wouldn't be surprised if "state pen" is the only lock up "facility" available.

Like it or not a number of villages up ther are DRY, and despite national prohibition being over for 70ish years they remain dry, and probably for good reason (spend 1/2 an hour outside of "touristee" Alaska and you'll figure it out).

Could you elaborate on this? The only thing I've heard about this before is that many of the Native Americans have dramatically unpleasant reactions to alcohol.

As for locked up "in state pen", I don't know the answer to this, but just a guess with the exception of some of the bigger cities, I wouldn't be surprised if "state pen" is the only lock up "facility" available.

Considering that a good number of the Alaska State Troopers use aircraft to travel in their patrol area, I'd say that's pretty likely. [laugh] In Florida, the sheriff's dept. books every single arrest in their county no matter which agency makes it, even in very large cities. Things are done different in every state.

Another thing, I know several people from Alaska (including a former Alaska LEO) who've all repeatedly told me how common weapons are up there, and how little the cops care about them, even things like illegally carried switchblades or open carried guns when they were contacted by LE while engaging in stupid teenager antics. One lived in an apartment building in a large city where an angry drunk was trying to kick in the door of an apartment he thought was his (there's a comical story behind it), and the person inside shot & killed him through the door...LE showed up and didn't even run the serial # of his pistol or temporarily take the gun; no charges filed or anything, they took the situation at face value and let him go back to sleep.

If the Troopers in this case did in fact try to drum up some charges over something legal then I think that's an abuse of power, but from everything I've ever heard of that state, she must've been doing something extraordinarily stupid to get the kind of LE attention she allegedly got.

Back
Top Bottom