AK Trigger Slap

Thanks for the pics and links. If the plate doesn't get here in time I'll use the correct method posted by atilla shown on the century. This is a Romanian rom arms imported via vt fyi.

Yup, Via VT through CAI (Century Arms International) They all were.
If you started right now, the plate would probably still get here before you get that blasted shepards hook installed properly. LOL

However if you do not want to wait for your retainer plate, just whip up your own.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/163-ak-...tainer-plate-diy-instructions.html#post373611

Not to hijack the thread, but my AMD65 has a trigger that is scary. No take up and extremely light. It's supposed to be a Tapco G2. Any way to increase trigger pull weight?

Oh no mine is light as **** and still surprises me when I'm not careful enough. I would consider it smooth with a noticeable reset however. And no slap.

I ordered the retaining plate and threw a G2 in there. Midway had the single hook on sale for $20, why not...

Mike - Thanks for the offer on the plate, reps in-bound.

I post some pics once it's ready to go bang and I can test it out at my buddy's house, he's got a barn.

I checked, the price was the same at most of the vendors but Amazon only had it as an add on item. I ended up paying the same for it at Midway and considering the trigger was on sale for $20 I was happy. All the other vendors had over a week ship time. Copes is good but you have to call and ask them to throw stuff that small in an envelope and adjust the shipping charge for you, similar to glockmiester.

I checked, the price was the same at most of the vendors but Amazon only had it as an add on item. I ended up paying the same for it at Midway and considering the trigger was on sale for $20 I was happy. All the other vendors had over a week ship time. Copes is good but you have to call and ask them to throw stuff that small in an envelope and adjust the shipping charge for you, similar to glockmiester.
true, and you got a great price on the trigger. I use Copes when I want a ton of AK Mags.Hehe

I found the problem while installing the new g2 trigger. Holy sheat balls. Pics coming when I get to a computer.

Trigger slap is caused by the the bolt carrier smashing the hammer too far back into the disconnector / trigger......some times it's the front of the disconnector stick out to far so it needs to move more then the clearance allows .

All the SAR-1s came with the crappy Century trigger and most had trigger slap to varying degrees. You can fix it by grinding the tail off of the disconnecter or by replacing the FCG with a G2.
This was very common with the SARs since the early 2000s

Do a search for lynx310 or linx310 (I forget which spelling is correct)
Back when the SARs were still being imported, he had an excellent site on all things SAR related including how to fix the famous canted sights and trigger slap. I don't know if it is still up or not, but it had some pretty interesting SAR info.

Edit to add: It looks like the original site is gone, but at least someone was smart enough to mirror it. here's a link http://novarata.net/Linx310/

You guys were dead on. Look at the scoring and damage to the trigger caused the bolt, smashing the hammer into the disconnector into the trigger.

Hxp58UA.jpg

3c2f9id.jpg

4LJIxi7.jpg

Compare the the stock CAI Rom Arms trigger (top) to the new G2 trigger (bottom)
Dg1AOfh.jpg

The link that 7.62 x 39 provided showed the perfect fix and look, it makes it like the tapco g2
"Take your Dremel and cut the area to the right of the red line off, go slowly and take your time. Make sure don't cut any thing off of the front of the disconnector, this could cause slam fires possibly killing you and or destroying your rifle. Leave the blue area alone for now." - Cited Linx310 site - http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/slapfix.shtm
slap2.jpg

So that extra material on the disconnector was smashing into the trigger to point that it wore the metal as you can see in the picture. This was also causing the jarring of the trigger which your finger was still on. No wonder I hated shooting it, especially in the cold, like slamming your finger in a car door.

Thanks again for all the input. I'll test run it this weekend and let you know how much better it feels. And that tapco plate is waaayyyy better than the improperly installed shepherd crook too.

Last edited:
I love these threads bc every time I open it up I learn something. Sorry you had to go through that but glad you have it figured out.
Can't wait to hear the range report.

Glad your rifle is better dude. Ask me about being cheap and using parts kits disconnectors and how poorly it worked out for me.

What the **** comrade.

The link that 7.62 x 39 provided showed the perfect fix and look, it makes it like the tapco g2

I'm glad it all worked out for you.
That was a very popular site 15 years ago, back when SARs were still being imported. I'm glad that somebody mirrored it.

SARs are really nice rifles if you got one without the canted sights, but even those were pretty easy to fix. I've had this one almost 15 years.
I added a Red Star FCG and an original Russian Kobra sight along with a custom PG and buttstock. PG is clone of 1911 and will accept any 1911 grips. I also Modified a Chinese gas tube to fit the Euro pattern of the SAR.

sar1l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom