• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK Trigger Slap

My Romanian SAR1 has the worst trigger slap. It's at the point where I and others don't even want to shoot it for more than mag. Think of taking your hand and shutting it in the car door repeatedly, it's that bad.

I searched the site and saw several threads that mentioned AK trigger slap but non dedicated to getting rid of it which brings me here. On top of that, the threads were from 2008. Fast forward 7 years, is there anything better, cheaper, more reliable than the tapco's that people were recommending in 08? I was looking at the alg defense trigger for about $50. https://algdefense.com/ak-trigger-akt.html

What do you think?

Advice and feedback welcomed, thanks.

how are you securing the fire control group?

i've got the same tapco G2 in both of my homebrew AKs, one feels just fine, the other slaps worse than any other gun i've ever shot.

however the reason it does this is because i am a lazy mother****er and have secured the pins for the FCG with c-clips. so yeah, i kind of deserve it.

My AMD 65 doesn't slap a bit. In fact, the trigger is kind of a pussy. I used the Tapco plate to secure the trigger group. Does yours use the shepherd's hook or the plate?

I'm not sure how it is secured, I will have to at it tonight when I get home. If it is secured poorly with c-clips will I be able to move the fcg by hand to see if that is where the slap is coming from?

Thanks

I'm not sure how it is secured, I will have to at it tonight when I get home. If it is secured poorly with c-clips will I be able to move the fcg by hand to see if that is where the slap is coming from?

Thanks

i doubt it's secured this way, but let us know. if it is someone was phoning it in that day on the assembly line.

you can replace whatever retention stuff is in there with one of these, too: http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29836

Last edited:
Trigger slap is caused by the the bolt carrier smashing the hammer too far back into the disconnector / trigger.
The pin holes ore in the wrong spot just out of spec parts.
The retaining plate doesn't do any thing for this.

You can pull the bcg back by hand and see what is hitting and remove metal if it's on a place that doesn't matter .some times it's the front of the disconnector stick out to far so it needs to move more then the clearance allows .

Last edited:
All the SAR-1s came with the crappy Century trigger and most had trigger slap to varying degrees. You can fix it by grinding the tail off of the disconnecter or by replacing the FCG with a G2.
This was very common with the SARs since the early 2000s

Thanks all for the input so far. I am going to try Ben's test tonight, check to make sure they didn't put my AK together with c-clips, and then grind some off the disconnector if it is sticking out.

Do a search for lynx310 or linx310 (I forget which spelling is correct)
Back when the SARs were still being imported, he had an excellent site on all things SAR related including how to fix the famous canted sights and trigger slap. I don't know if it is still up or not, but it had some pretty interesting SAR info.

Edit to add: It looks like the original site is gone, but at least someone was smart enough to mirror it. here's a link http://novarata.net/Linx310/

Last edited:
Back when the SARs were still being imported, he had an excellent site on all things SAR related including how to fix the famous canted sights and trigger slap. I don't know if it is still up or not, but it had some pretty interesting SAR info.

Edit to add: It looks like the original site is gone, but at least someone was smart enough to mirror it. here's a link http://novarata.net/Linx310/

There's a few guides on gunco too ;)

I have the ALG in my WASR 10. It is nice. It was too light as is so I installed the (included) secondary spring. The trigger pull now tests out just under 4 lbs.

I have the ALG in my WASR 10. It is nice. It was too light as is so I installed the (included) secondary spring. The trigger pull now tests out just under 4 lbs.

The trigger pull on my AMD 65 is pretty damn light so I don't know that I would want a lighter trigger. If somebody came out with a two stage like the SSA then I would try that.

You can smooth out a Tapco trigger with some fine sandpaper and a little work on contact points. Some of mine are actually polished and it makes a big difference.

The trigger pull on my AMD 65 is pretty damn light so I don't know that I would want a lighter trigger. If somebody came out with a two stage like the SSA then I would try that.

Red Star, The trigger by which all other AK triggers are judged.

Thanks for that link. I am going to do whats linked here - http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/slapfix.shtml

OP don't leave us hanging, did you get your rifle squared away?

I've been slacking, still in vaca mode and I took today off too so it's been a longgg weekend. I just stripped the rifle and found some hokey stuff. This is the retaining pin that is holding in the hammer and trigger pin, i drew an outline of it on the bottom right of the pic, haven't seen one of these before.
EyxB6Tm.jpg

I'll post some pics once I break out the dremel later.

Thanks for that link. I am going to do whats linked here - http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/slapfix.shtml

I've been slacking, still in vaca mode and I took today off too so it's been a longgg weekend. I just stripped the rifle and found some hokey stuff. This is the retaining pin that is holding in the hammer and trigger pin, i drew an outline of it on the bottom right of the pic, haven't seen one of these before.
EyxB6Tm.jpg

I'll post some pics once I break out the dremel later.

From the looks of it you are lucky the pin is still in its original position! Please keep us informed, this looks like a nice little educational video in the making!

[popcorn]

this should help, it does look like it's not installed properly.

Yup, major fail on the Shepards hook installation. That has nothing to do with why OP is getting the slap, but it obviously needs to be addressed when FCG goes back together.

Of all the various methods of retaining the FCG, these are my least favorite. They are the biggest PIA to install and there are much easier alternatives available.

Not to hijack the thread, but my AMD65 has a trigger that is scary. No take up and extremely light. It's supposed to be a Tapco G2. Any way to increase trigger pull weight?

Yup, major fail on the Shepards hook installation. That has nothing to do with why OP is getting the slap, but it obviously needs to be addressed when FCG goes back together.

Of all the various methods of retaining the FCG, these are my least favorite. They are the biggest PIA to install and there are much easier alternatives available.
I didn't think it could be right when I was taking it apart. I think this is the right time to buy a tapco plate for it. Amazon will have it here by Friday, in time for me to test function this weekend.

Thanks for the pics and links. If the plate doesn't get here in time I'll use the correct method posted by atilla shown on the century. This is a Romanian rom arms imported via vt fyi.

Back
Top Bottom