Ak refinish

So I'm in the process of refinishing the furniture on my AK, but I was thinking Bout cleaning up the metal parts on the gun. I want to keep the finish on, but clean it up a little bit. Any suggestions? Thanks

So I'm in the process of refinishing the furniture on my AK, but I was thinking Bout cleaning up the metal parts on the gun. I want to keep the finish on, but clean it up a little bit. Any suggestions? Thanks

If I've learned anything here on NES, I think they can only be cleaned with a 1:1 blood/vodka mixture.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

what sort of 'dirt' is on it that you want to clean off and what type of finish is presently on the metal?

Have you checked the sub forums on here? I think this has been discussed over in the Build it Yourself and Mil Surp Collectors forums. Take a peak through there. The time spent reading will be 1/2 of what it takes to redo bad work.

To get you going, I second Mike's question. If it is not extremely nasty and covered in cosmo then just CLP and a stiff toothbrush. If it is nasty and you have removed all the plastic / wood then I would use brake or carb cleaner on the metal and then a good coat of CLP. I only use tung oil on the wood. It does not crack like epoxy / shellac, it will bend with the dents. That is my .02.

If I've learned anything here on NES, I think they can only be cleaned with a 1:1 blood/vodka mixture.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

blood and vodka also work as cutting lubricant. cheap pisswater beer as well. F the haters.

go find some cobblestone or otherwise stone and rough stairs and throw your AK down it. give it character, make it a man.

what sort of 'dirt' is on it that you want to clean off and what type of finish is presently on the metal?
Well it's a WASR so the finish isn't that great, but I just wanted to clean it up and make the metal look somewhat new

spray and bake coatings that you can buy at midway will work well for that purpose. i would not advice to invest any more serious cash than that into WASR just because you'll never gonna get it back.
if you do go with spray on stuff, make sure you get kind that comes in aerosol can otherwise you might need to get compressor and paint-gun or at least air-brush.
I've painted two AK using this bake on finish here.
if i didn't screw up first time I could easily paint 3-4 guns with it.
adequate surface preparation with any finishing is a big must and very important step!

SAM_0171_zps96a107ee.jpg

SAM_0172_zpscc0c4aef.jpg

SAM_0174_zpsb8e138ac.jpg

SAM_0176_zpsf81a8415.jpg

SAM_0175_zps6c3fe283.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom