AK - my first build (rated R for gore, sexual situations and language)

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
First, I got to thank for all the support during the build and especially to comrade Flintoid who inspired me to expose my credit card number on the AK-builder site. When I got the kit, it was similar to what’s pictured here, except more peeling laquer and teeth marks on the buttstock. I couldn’t friggen believe that I just spent all that cash on a plate-load of worn metals bits floating in cosmoline.

romy1.jpg

Building an AK was a fantastic and the most meritorious endeavor. Some people enjoy the journey and some destination. Building is more of a journey. You’ll need lots of tools you may never had, various jigs and tons of research. It’s fun, very addictive and it’s a joy to see how ordinary bits of metal gradually become a firearm. It takes time to figure everything out on the first build, it’s helpful to have a pair of extra hands or someone who have done this before. Another really cool part is that you may know how to take apart an AK and put it back together, but after the build you’ll know every crevice, hook and bulge on your AK and know exactly why it is there.

girl_38.jpg

I am building a RomyG – Romanian Guard AK. Originally, it had its auto parts temporarily removed, since their guardsmen were not awesome enough to handle dual wielding AKs on full auto. All original receivers were marked S, FA and FF. FF stands for Foc cu Foc (not sure if double f**k or f**k squared) but it’s still not as bad as FA – Foc Automat (automatic f**k) which aptly describes what happens to about quarter million people who are dispatched to pearly gates, Buddha or planet Xenu via Kalashnikov systems, annually.

sfafffx3.jpg

A bit of history.

Croatia.jpg

Romanians are well known for being the Harbor Freight of Kalashnikovs and having the same word for toilet paper as for a hand (joke) Let this not deceive you to think them as weak. Vlad Dracula the Impaler was a Romanian, and just for the record, most Westerners, to this day, can not wrap their naïve, puritan minds around that “impalement” had actually nothing to do with impaling. This is how they imagined Vlad “impaling” thousands of Muslim invaders with his “chianti and fava beans” for dinner.

Impaled.gif

The real “impaling” was just an insertion of a stake into one’s already well formed rear orifice and raising said stake perpendicular to the ground. Here are a few screenshots from Polish classic Pan Wolodyiewski demonstrating the proper technique of “to sit on a stake” – as impalement was incorrectly translated. This is how Polaks used to deal with AlQuida before Gitmo.

Image00031.jpg
Image00032.jpg
Image00033.jpg
Image00034.jpg

So imagine this times tens of thousands and you now understand why Romanians were considered a bit eccentric, even by medieval standards. Whatever you feel, just don’t ask them for a refund on your WASR. You have been warned!

Unlike once great Romans and Greeks, Romanians, to this day, continue to demonstrate the depths of depravity and wanton disregard for human decency. A few decades back, before joining NATO (and getting a bunch of ARs) pissed off Romanians shot chairman Chaushesku and his wife without any trial. The dude had a toilet cast from solid gold but the country had zero national debt!

I have documented removing barrel pin, bending the receiver and heat treating it in these threads. Those were projects in their own right and I hope to update more info relevant to the topics once I do more .

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...AK-–-remove-your-worst-barrel-pin-(pic-heavy)

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ent-Russian-technologies-revealed-(pic-heavy)

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...eating-your-receiver-with-vodka-(picture-fat)

Once the receiver was ready to go, I cleaned and sandblasted it together with other small bits like I do with powder coating. I used DuraBake to paint and bake the paint. I was thinking that it would be similar to powder coating. Plus I have no patience so there is no way I would wait 3-4 weeks for the paint to fully cure per DuraCoat instructions. Well, honestly, I’m not too happy with durability so far. The paint is not much different durability wise from regular HomeDespot paintcan, after full bake at 380. May be they meant 380 Centigrade or Kelvin, who knows?

Image00001.jpg

I made a special jig to do the front trunion rivets. It’s not as nice as the one on AK-builder, but it works very well. I am using 20 tonne press and for the jig specifically it’s a bit of cold chisel ground with an angle grinder to assume shape and position. Chisels are not very expensive and are a good source of heat treatable steel, if your scrap heap runs dry. You have to be careful as some cold chisels may shutter.

Image00002.jpg

Another thing that I found to be incredibly useful is to have handy various scraps of aluminum alloys as mini anvils. Virgin aluminum is too soft, but many alloys from pistons are great for hand riveting. Aluminum will deform just enough to keep rivet’s head in immaculate condition no matter how much you hammer the rivet with extreme prejudice on the other end.

Image00003.jpg

1st WTF moment

This was a royal WTF moment. Picture doesn’t really shows it too well. I have followed many AK build guides and I thought I had it all figured out. I just spot welded the rails that came from AK-builder and thought that everything was fine. When I went to insert a magazine, I realized that there was something terribly wrong with the rails. For a second I thought that I welded the rails wrong and the entire process: drill out, clean, fit, re-weld just flashed before my eyes. Actually, I just needed to grind down the bottom “rails” It’s good thing that I have another AK, I just poped the dust cover and realized what was wrong. It would be frigging good to know, so I can do most of the grinding of those rails before I weld the rails on. It did not take long but it required dremel time while being mindful not to grind anything else around.

Image00004.jpg

Here is the complete receiver with all trunnions mounted. I did not do the artsy, domed rivet heads. This is a man’s tool, so I just hammered the crap out of the rivets to get them boringly flat. One thing here will come to haunt me later. That center support rivet.

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

To insert barrel, I have came up with my own jig again. I think that it is more stable since it rests on three solid parts of the front trunnion. The treads are ¼ inch and I don’t think that they are in danger of being ripped apart.

Image00013.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Barell pin.
WTF moment #2. I ordered a new pin from AK-builder. It did not fit. Going back to the site I realized that it’s “oversized” so I need to enlarge the hole by re-drilling it, then rimming it. The more I read, the better the old pin looked to me. I pushed it in with a 20 tonne press and it went in like a champ.

Shepards spring. Trigger group.
WTF moment #3 and #4. Putting the trigger group in I realized that the shepards pin was not going to fit. While d*cking around I realized that it’s impossible to insert existing Romanian fire selector after Tapco’s trigger group was in. I still don’t know what the middle thingie does, it seems totally useless. I also had to fashion my own shepard’s spring from an old spring.

I did not refinish the original Romanian wood furniture, you may call it cheap spa treatment. Just a quick sand down, fake mahogany alcohol stain (they were out of cheap red varnish) followed by Danish oil and Poly. Most dings and marked were left where they were.

Image00010.jpg

from here on things started to accelerate, I forgot to eat and instead of cleaning shop wanted to finish the build ASAP as I was so close and it itched like crazy. Also, at this time wife finally found out why I moved to the basement and offered to help putting it together (she used to have the fastest time in school for AK tear-down/ assembly) You got to love hot chicks who know their way around an AK. [smile]

Image00012.jpg

Image00011.jpg

Once everything was together I realized that damned slide fit really tight in the receiver. So tight in fact that the spring could not return it all the way. I had two choices: go to a range, fire a few hundred rounds and let things settle by themselves or do the right thing and try to figure out what was really going on. So I went to the range [wink]

Image00018.jpg

Image00017.jpg

Image00016.jpg

Image00019.jpg

Everything was great besides the tight fit. Romy failed to eject the cartridge every time, so I had to manhandle it after each shot like it was a Mosin. I hoped for f*ck-oo-f*ck (semi-auto) and all I got was simple f*ck (single action) After lots of playing with the gun and looking at it from each side like a monkey into a mirror, I finally realized that there weren't specific parts that did not fit. The center support rivet just held sides too close to each other, in other words, the center support rivet from AK builder was too short. I can't blame them, I can only blame myself for not measuring enough. I had to de-mill the rivet and install it twice more: second time I realized that excessive hammer time shortens correctly sized rivet support to smaller dimension, second time I got it right (I think that I ran out of things to f-up) This time to the range was much better:

Image00025.jpg

Image00022.jpg

Image00029.jpg

that's 50 yards in case you were wandering. I'm not bragging. [rolleyes]

I know, I know, I had my pink panties on, so I had to shoot from a bench. Still, zombies would not survive (btw, they ARE "enemies of the people") [laugh]

and as far as the old shepherd's hook goes- yes, they are a bitch to use in the new rifle. Fashioning our own retention hook is a good idea. I just buy the AK-builder retention hooks... they are like the chinese style AK retention hooks and are very easy to install.

This is a very impressive build, Boris. It brings a tear to my eye to see another AK built in such a glorious fashion.

Is good work.

Comrade Kalashnikov would be proud of you!

and as far as the old shepherd's hook goes- yes, they are a bitch to use in the new rifle. Fashioning our own retention hook is a good idea. I just buy the AK-builder retention hooks... they are like the chinese style AK retention hooks and are very easy to install.

This style?...

ak0680-sm.jpg

On any of my builds, I never bothered with even trying to install a standard shepherds hook after reading how much of a PITA they are.

ugh, I installed 5/16 cross brace instead of 1/4 inch. A pair of retaining rings would work perfectly unless you are in Taiga with bears. I'm not sure why they are not used other than service and installation time at the factory. That would be the German solution to the problem with some obscure, special tool to install them.

fapping hard. time to switch this bitch up to NC-17.

i do not see any liquor during the build process--the only acceptable answer would be that you were too hungover to think about more alcohol.

someone help me adjust the front sight on my romy abomination, it shoots about two feet high. not even shitting you guys, it's like two feet over the target and into the berm. the kentucky windage is good so i guess i'll run some tennessee elevation?!

may i also add that your jigs yet again are genius. every time you touch metal you create metal out of more metal. and finally i will add HAMMERED RIVET BUDDY!
21no4kj.gif

my rear trunnion rivets are hammered because it felt good to hit the rifle with a BFH when i got everything sorted.

someone help me adjust the front sight on my romy abomination, it shoots about two feet high. not even shitting you guys, it's like two feet over the target and into the berm. the kentucky windage is good so i guess i'll run some tennessee elevation?!

"unscrew" the front sight post. If you turn it counterclockwise it will move up, thus bringing your point of aim down more in line with your sights.

You can use a pair of pliers, or my ak FS adjustment tool next time we hang out (we need to go shooting sometime). But pliers work pretty dang good for this.

noice. i'm going to tool with it when i get home i think.

you missed an opportunity to come out and see me get shamed by my ranch hand on sunday at the pin shoot, the thing is going back to rossi tomorrow. [laugh]

we need someone to host us at HSC and we should have a NES AK meet.

That would be the German solution to the problem with some obscure, special tool to install them.

spoken like a man who drives a German car.....

ETA:
to anyone building a Romy, i suggest you build while listening to some nice gypsy music... Goran Bregovic is a personal favorite (not that i've ever built an AK, but the music seems fitting...)
[video=youtube_share;iNlAnUXsf0Y]http://youtu.be/iNlAnUXsf0Y[/video]

or maybe more fitting.....

[video=youtube_share;CYryevHIZGw]http://youtu.be/CYryevHIZGw[/video]

Last edited:
Very nice job comrade!!![cheers]

What did you find that was binding the bolt carrier? I've had to spread the receiver on a couple and they worked flawlessly.

Love the barrel press setup!! Thats WECSOGing at its best right there.[smile]

I highly recommend the one piece pin retainer pictured in post #8, well worth the money and easy to install. I've used them in all my builds. I keep the wire springs for spares.

awesome stuff man i really love it! i will most defineatly build my own ak at some point just not now maybe next year if you guys do a build party 2.0!

Another really cool part is that you may know how to take apart an AK and put it back together, but after the build you’ll know every crevice, hook and bulge on your AK and know exactly why it is there.

girl_38.jpg

Crevice, bulge, and her, along with the range results makes this thread full of win.[grin]

Its been great reading these build threads. I hope you will be bringing that rifle to the next Sippican shoot in September!

Nice! not only does it look sweet but looks like it shoots pretty damn good as well. I really enjoyed reading you build tutorial. My only question is what are you building next? lol

great thread great build let the sickness begin.Aks are like doriotos.You cant only build one.Did i hear someone say build party behind the iron curtain?????. Off to siberia with you!!!!!!!!

glad to see your build room was a complete Fn mess, my kind of enviroment.

I am a little confused maybe a few answers to my questions. Lets say I buy a AK kit
1. what is the point of buying a kit when you have to swap out parts to be 922r compliant ?
2. where do you get prebent recievers ?
3. best source for kits

Last edited:
so in a nut shell I can not build a polish underfolder for mass, unless I ditch the evil features and "fix" the folder in the open posistion

Back
Top Bottom