• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ak muzzle brake gunsmithing

jron

NES Member
Just picked up my new mak 90. I wanted to put a brake on the end wasn't sure of any local shops or people near me that does these things. Located in lowell area.

Thing is like new. ran my finger across the bolt and got a finger tip full of dust. even dust around the crown of the barrel. which only means on thing. this has been someones safe queen.

Oh and a shout out to Precision Point for the transfer again, my new go to place for transfers.

I saw a posting about 1776 Gunsmithing doing some nice work on an AK muzzle brake. They are in Walpole however, maybe a bit further than you want to go. They did a nice job changing a muzzle brake on my AR. I would use them again.

Gentlemen: I had a brake installed parts and labor for $200. at Pullman Arms in Worcester. Kyle helped me. I brought the upper of my Sig M400 and they did a PERFECT job. Kyle had some different brakes available and I picked the one I liked. I would trust their shop with anything of mine. They are a GOAL supporter too.

I saw a posting about 1776 Gunsmithing doing some nice work on an AK muzzle brake. They are in Walpole however, maybe a bit further than you want to go. They did a nice job changing a muzzle brake on my AR. I would use them again.

how long did it take? I wouldnt mind taking the drive if i can sit and wait

I had a few other things done so I left it and picked it up a few days later. I think Don at 1776 said that they usually do the muzzle brakes on Fridays so it may be possible to wait. I would call and ask them.

Ill do that. I really dont want to drive an hour there and an hour back to then drive and hour there and back again in a few days. rather just sit there and wait for an hour or 2 grab some food or something.

Ill do that. I really dont want to drive an hour there and an hour back to then drive and hour there and back again in a few days. rather just sit there and wait for an hour or 2 grab some food or something.

He has a lot of rifles there for estate work he does. Last time I was there he had a room full of Mosin's, Lee Enfield's, and all kinds of other stuff... should keep you occupied for a while. If that doesn't work there is a Dunkin Donuts down the street as well [laugh]. Good luck with it.

You better check with them. Notice a lot of these posters are saying AR not Ak. As the muzzle break on my wife's wasr is welded at the bottom. The weld has to be cut off first, which will leave raw metal showing. Now you are requiring a touch up on that spot.

Posted while my co-worker is getting electrocuted.

I do not have that like the wasr's do. it is just a bare tip just like the end of a mosin barrel.

Nice Mak 90! I'm loving mine. Mine has the muzzle brake on it but I don't know what the advantage is having it. Some people on here told me the muzzle brake can decrease accuracy but mine seems plenty accurate for my needs.

The thing about putting a brake on a Mak90 is that these rifles were originally threaded for a 14/1 device, then the barrel was turned down to remove the threads during import because of the AWB so you have less material to work with.

The thing about putting a brake on a Mak90 is that these rifles were originally threaded for a 14/1 device, then the barrel was turned down to remove the threads during import because of the AWB so you have less material to work with.

This.

14MM is no longer an option.

I am happy my Norinco NHM had a barrel nut welded on, just had a friend dremel the spot weld and twist it off... Brand new 14m threads under it.

Nice Mak 90! I'm loving mine. Mine has the muzzle brake on it but I don't know what the advantage is having it. Some people on here told me the muzzle brake can decrease accuracy but mine seems plenty accurate for my needs.

advantage is reduced recoil and muzzle rise. which will in turn produce faster and more accurate follow up shots. Im not sure how it would decrease accuracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGixCAb0B8

Oh and a shout out to Precision Point for the transfer again, my new go to place for transfers.
Internet%20Bro%20Fist.jpg

advantage is reduced recoil and muzzle rise. which will in turn produce faster and more accurate follow up shots. Im not sure how it would decrease accuracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGixCAb0B8

Wow that's quite a noticeable difference in recoil and muzzle rise. Thanks for the video. I've never really researched it too much but I guess I'm glad my Mak 90 came with the AK74 style muzzle brake. Mine didn't come with the thumbhole stock (which made it a PITA to find a dealer to transfer it for some reason), just a regular nicely wood finished AK stock. You plan on keeping the thumbhole stock? Was curious how comfortable it is with the thumbhole stock.

Wow that's quite a noticeable difference in recoil and muzzle rise. Thanks for the video. I've never really researched it too much but I guess I'm glad my Mak 90 came with the AK74 style muzzle brake. Mine didn't come with the thumbhole stock (which made it a PITA to find a dealer to transfer it for some reason), just a regular nicely wood finished AK stock. You plan on keeping the thumbhole stock? Was curious how comfortable it is with the thumbhole stock.

the thumbhole stock is not that bad, I actually dont mind it. I know lots of people hate it. Its the same concept as any other ak stock. I plan on changing it out but will run it like this for a while. Want to do a brake first and the drum mag will be here tuesday [smile].

Reason it was probably a pita is it might not be up to the 922r compliance. which is you cant have more then 10 foreign parts (stupid ass law, created by even more stupid people).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssgz3jww-hM

Not true. You could cut it to a thinner thread and make a adapter.

Brilliant [rolleyes]
If you are going to make some sort of mickey mouse adapter, you can turn anything into anything. I stand by my (and SKS Ray's) original statement. You can no longer thread the barrel to 14MMX1 LH.

the thumbhole stock is not that bad, I actually dont mind it. I know lots of people hate it. Its the same concept as any other ak stock. I plan on changing it out but will run it like this for a while. Want to do a brake first and the drum mag will be here tuesday [smile].

Reason it was probably a pita is it might not be up to the 922r compliance. which is you cant have more then 10 foreign parts (stupid ass law, created by even more stupid people).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssgz3jww-hM

Nice! My buddy bought 2 drum mags at the Wilmington gun show last month. One Chinese ($200) and one Romanian ($150). Lot of money and he hasn't had any issues with them. He said it really helped with recoil because of the weight counteracting the muzzle rise which is nice. I almost bought one but didn't think I'd ever really use it and for that kind of money, I'd rather buy ammo.

I think it's 922r compliant but not sure. I've added a hogue pistol grip and a Midwest industries handguard. I'm guessing the wooden stock (not thumbhole) it came with isn't American made. I refuse to swap out the trigger group, bolt, piston etc. And as far as I can tell the muzzle brake is pinned. Honestly, I don't know if I really care if it is compliant.

I refuse to swap out the trigger group, bolt, piston etc. And as far as I can tell the muzzle brake is pinned. Honestly, I don't know if I really care if it is compliant.

same bull shit law. I was going to swap out mag parts on a mag or two since those count. If I do it. [laugh]

Brilliant [rolleyes]
If you are going to make some sort of mickey mouse adapter, you can turn anything into anything. I stand by my (and SKS Ray's) original statement. You can no longer thread the barrel to 14MMX1 LH.

I was thinking a threaded sleeve that would be pressed or brazed on.
At work I make a part like this out of steel that gets pressed on a aluminum rod so the threads don't get worn out .

Back
Top Bottom