• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK Bullet Guide problem....

So I decided for my first AK I wanted to do a Saiga 7.62x39 conversion. With all of the online guides for making it 922r complaint, it sounded easy enough to follow. Everything went well up until while trying to drill and tap my trunnion for the bullet guide, the tap snapped off in the hole. I've tried back the tap out using a Walton tap removal tool with no success. I've also tried drilling into the tap and using a steel punch to shatter it into pieces but neither worked... At this point I'm starting to think my only other option is to have the bullet guide welded in place. Does anyone have any other suggestions or know of a place that will weld this into place around the north shore area?

In case it matters, the cobalt tap was purchased from Carolina Shooting Supply: http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/6-32-drill-and-tap-set.htm

You can try drilling the tap with a small carbide bit but go slow and use a drill press and plenty of oil. Once you have a hole in it you can either use a screw extractor...or the punching it to pieces again...A regular tool steel bit is useless on the hardened tap...

carbide bit low and slow or GTFO. you done goofed, OP.

i've never had to straight up dig through a tap, but i did get a carbide bit through two drill bits both snapped off in opposite directions in an AK rear trunnion.

yes, alcohol was involved.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a drill press. A gun vice and a hand drill are my only options at the moment. The tap is extremely small width wise, I'm not sure if there is enough there for a screw extractor to catch on.

carbide bit low and slow or GTFO. you done goofed, OP.

i've never had to straight up dig through a tap, but i did get a carbide bit through two drill bits both snapped off in opposite directions in an AK rear trunnion.

yes, alcohol was involved.

Yeah, I screwed up big time by not hand tapping rather I used a drill with the tap....

my advice? stop.

you did it wrong once and you already paid the price, do you want to pay harder? get access to a drill press and do it right. where in MA are you? i am sure there may be someone near you who can give you a hand.

Yeah, I screwed up big time by not hand tapping rather I used a drill with the tap....

The fact that you even attempted doing that on a hardened trunnion tells me that you are already in over your head. Get some help before you reach the point of no return.

How many flutes on the tap? What is the size and style?

A robust tool and die shop should have a tap disintegrator.

If you are south suburban Boston (Sharon/Stoughton area) I might be able to help you.

I did the same thing years ago. Ended up getting a needle point Dremel bit that was made for cutting metal and started grinding away. The tap should grind easily if you have a steady hand and can get at it. When you've dug out enough, steady the receiver and give the rest of the tap a few solid whacks with a hammer and punch and the rest should fall right out.

The fact that you even attempted doing that on a hardened trunnion tells me that you are already in over your head. Get some help before you reach the point of no return.

I'm not disagreeing. I was following some conversion guides via youtube and one of them used a drill for tapping so I figured was okay. Plus I didn't have a hand tap at the time.... I should of just spend the extra $10 ahead of time for it... At this point, I'm already looking up gunsmiths in my area to handle this for me.

If you tapping with a drill or by hand . Save your self trouble and making a tapping block .

Find a drill but a hair big then the tak and drill a hole in a block of metal . It helps you keep the drill / tap straight.

Only way I'll use a drill vs a tapping handle or in my mill is of the drill had a clutch system so if it binds it won't snap the bit.

Using a hand drill for tapping is fine if you done it enough and know what types of metal not to do it with . Extremely hard or gummy and your gonna break a tap.

Maybe a small carbide or diamond bit in a Dremel would help.

That's what I used, a diamond bit. I couldn't think of the name when I replied.

This is the one I used: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=7134

Right after I hit the tap with it I started seeing grey powder build up. It only took about a minute of grinding before I was able to remove enough of the tap and drive the rest out with a punch and hammer. The original hole suffered minimal damage but I still went with an Irwin 8/32 drill and tap combo that I picked up from a local hardware store. Doing it by hand and using cutting fluid is definitely a must along with using a quality tap secured in a holder.

That's what I used, a diamond bit. I couldn't think of the name when I replied.

This is the one I used: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=7134

Right after I hit the tap with it I started seeing grey powder build up. It only took about a minute of grinding before I was able to remove enough of the tap and drive the rest out with a punch and hammer. The original hole suffered minimal damage but I still went with an Irwin 8/32 drill and tap combo that I picked up from a local hardware store. Doing it by hand and using cutting fluid is definitely a must along with using a quality tap secured in a holder.

smaht. i like that.

OP if you're able to get it out, and you ought to at least give it a shot--then tap it BY HAND when you get this done.

the last thing he needs is to have some HF crap break off in the already broken off tap. avoid HF, OP. they are good for disposable shit tools, but not decent tools for when it counts.

Those bits from HF are ok for lite work but wear down for grinding metal.

the last thing he needs is to have some HF crap break off in the already broken off tap. avoid HF, OP. they are good for disposable shit tools, but not decent tools for when it counts.

I'll only use harbor freight bits on stuff I don't care if they break.

My old man got some end mills from them did the mill.took 5 mins to mess one up .

Back
Top Bottom