AK.308

I've wanted an AK chambered in .308w for a while. I was trying to decide between the normal slantback vepr, slantback m77 yugo, or the saiga .308 as the easiest alternatives. I then came across xxxxxxxx and saw squareback vepr .308s with unfinished stocks for $729. Even though their policy states no semi-auto rifles sales to MA, I decided to try and order it anyway and emailed the FFL info with the order. A week later i was lucky enough to have it in my possession.
vepr1.jpg
The stock looks like it was chiseled by a 6yr old russian slave drunk on cheap vodka. The handguard was halfway decent, maybe before the vodka took effect.
vepr2.jpg
First up was stripping it down and getting it ready for the new wood. I purchased Tapco timbersmith laminated wood in russian red along with a css handguard retainer and tapco slant brake.
vepr3.jpg
The grip and upper handguard went right on without incident. The stock required very minimal filing to fit in the thicker receiver. The lower handguard took A LOT of dremeling to make fit around the thicker .308barrel and rsb. The end result I feel was well worth the effort. .
vepr6.jpg vepr7.jpg vep.jpg

Last edited:
Coldayinhell gonna be pissed lol he was trying to get the 54r and been having problems.

I'm slowly building a second psl larks kit to build a 16inch with the same wood.

The muzzle was threaded but had a thread protector pinned and welded on. I just dremeled 75% of the pin off and then unscrewed the protector and the pin popped right out. The fsb already had the plunger in place behind the thread protector.

The muzzle was threaded but had a thread protector pinned and welded on. I just dremeled 75% of the pin off and then unscrewed the protector and the pin popped right out. The fsb already had the plunger in place behind the thread protector.

Nice!

I actually have to decap and ream half of my Saiga 308 front sight blocks and then re-pin them order to thread the barrel and add a muzzle brake. Its projects I'll get around to eventually but its nice to see Vepr did it for you.

I was so close to ordering one of the straight back receiver 7.62x54r models with the 16" barrel but something came up and I was never able to. Now straight back receiver Veprs are no longer being produced and all we have are slant backs that will need modifications to use standard AK furniture.

That's a beautiful gun.

attachment.php

Nice!

I actually have to decap and ream half of my Saiga 308 front sight blocks and then re-pin them order to thread the barrel and add a muzzle brake. Its projects I'll get around to eventually but its nice to see Vepr did it for you.

I was so close to ordering one of the straight back receiver 7.62x54r models with the 16" barrel but something came up and I was never able to. Now straight back receiver Veprs are no longer being produced and all we have are slant backs that will need modifications to use standard AK furniture.
I know I've been debating on ordering another one on the ol credit card.

Back
Top Bottom