Airport carry?

Let me give you an instance, and tell me if it's legal...

Someone is going to the airport to pick up a friend/relative coming into town. The person that is doing the picking up has a MA LTC-A ALP. Can that person legally go into the airport to the arrivals section and wait for the person to arrive?

Adam

I haven't travelled by plane since 9/11, so I'm not completely up on the rules and regs that have changed, however, I do not believe said person can enter the airport carrying, licensed or not. I believe (don't cast this in stone) that if you remain outside in the car and are just picking them up roadside, that's okay, but as I said, I haven't flown so I haven't checked.

I don't think that any laws have changed that would forbid carrying in the unsecured area of the airports. I know that folks in other states have reported that they do this without hassle.

However, TSA makes up rules "on the fly" so no guarantees that what is OK by them today will work tomorrow.

I try to stay the hell out of airports, haven't been in one since November 2003 (TF Green in RI) and due to the BS I didn't take one trip earlier this year and have no plans on attending a special Microsoft Summit this Fall in Seattle.

I just finished two Gabe Suarez classes (see Jim Conway's review just posted) and another student works at another New England airport (Not Logan). He admitted to me that Logan is still a disaster area for security, something that I'm convinced of from prior to 9/11. I have NO intentions of ever stepping foot on Logan property for the rest of my life!

Best way to meet someone coming into Logan is to have them take the commuter bus (Logan Express) from one of the depots (Braintree, Framingham, Burlington-I think) and meet them there. Cheap, comfortable and reliable transportation off-site.

Thanks for the reply Len... Unfortunately there is no other option other than this person going to the actual airport and inside to wait. she/he is picking up a 10 year old.

Just curious is all.

Adam

I believe that Logan has thier own Police Department. If so, I would call them and find out....

But that's me. When it comes to things like this...I don't follow the "It's easier to ask for forgivness than permission" addage.

Adam, how about flying into a much more friendly, smaller airport?

Manchester, Bradley, Worcester, TF Green all come to mind.

There is NO Logan PD. The MA State Police patrol Logan, it is aptly named "F Troop" (not kidding).

I can guarantee you that if you ask MSP at Logan, the answer will be that you can't have a firearm within a mile of the airport property. Back in the late 1970s a MSP Trooper at Logan told me that it was illegal to have any firearms anywhere on MassPort property! I've never seen any proof of such a "Law" (it is NOT in MGLs).

If this were true, here's a short list of the restrictions on anyone with a gun anywhere in the car:
- You couldn't drive on I-90 (MA Turnpike),
- You couldn't drive on the Mystic River Bridge,
- You couldn't drive thru any of the tunnels in Boston,
- You couldn't be on any part of the airport property,
- I suspect that some of the docks in South Boston are also controlled by MassPort, if so they'd be off limits too.

Do you think this could be a problem? Ever hear of any enforcement actions? No? I didn't think so.

This was a made up law by an anti-gun Trooper. I was armed at the time, waiting to meet my late Mother-in-Law and had requested that he hold the firearm while I went to the gate. No, he didn't threaten to arrest me, just wouldn't hold the gun for me. BTW, I had earlier called MSP F-Troop and was told to do this, that there would be no problem having the Trooper hold the gun. An attorney friend (criminal law) that carries did this all the time at Logan back then.

You could always call Massport and ask them - they manage the airport. Like I said, I haven't flown since 9/11 so I don't know how icky they've gotten.

I believe that Logan has thier own Police Department. If so, I would call them and find out.
I agree with Len. If you call up F Troop, I expect that they will tell you it is illegal and won't be willing (or able) to cite the law.

Several years ago we had an attorney come to our gun club to talk about MA gun laws. He's written a small, self-published book about MA gun laws. He claimed that there is a Massport regulation against carrying a firearm on Logan property. He didn't provide a citation for that. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name at the moment...

I've done a lot of work at airports and have been badged at Logan, SEATAC, and O'Hare. In airport parlance, the airport is divided into two parts: airside and landside. Airside is anywhere past security (or in a hangar or GSE facility) that has access to aircraft or the ramp. You will definitely know when you are airside, and if you try to carry there you are in big trouble. Landside is everywhere else.

Unless there is something in the MGLs or specifically posted prohibiting licensed carrying landside (there isn't anything that I'm aware of), then you can carry landside just like you can carry anywhere else.

M1911 said:
Several years ago we had an attorney come to our gun club to talk about MA gun laws. He's written a small, self-published book about MA gun laws. He claimed that there is a Massport regulation against carrying a firearm on Logan property. He didn't provide a citation for that. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name at the moment...

Would that have been a little red book?

"The Law of Self-Defense: A Guide for the Armed Citizen" by Andrew F. Branca, Attorney at Law, Published by Operon Security, Ltd.

More info here:
http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/tlosd.htm

I bought this book from Andrew directly when he was at a gun show many years ago (the book had just been published). Haven't seen or heard from him in years.

No, it was not Andrew Branca. I've read his book (and met him as well) -- Andrew's book covers the law of self defense in general. His book does not cover MA gun laws.

This book was specifically about the gun laws in MA. No, it wasn't Ron Glidden's book.

To clarify, this attorney claimed there is some regulation that prohibits carry anywhere on Logan property. To use Marcus' terms, the attorney's claim is that it is illegal to carry not just airside but landside also.

I don't have any independent verification of this attorney's claims. I'm just reporting what he said.

OK, my next guess is that it is Patrick Rogers?

I also know an attorney from Newton who has written a book on MA gun laws. There are a lot of inaccuracies in his book! I've also heard him speak and he gave out a fair amount of mis-information. I wasn't impressed!

Here's the law to which they're most likely referring: Mass General Laws, Chapter 90: Section 61 Logan Airport security zone; access; penalties.

A quick read can lead one with the impression that it's illegal, but if you read it carefully, you'll see that the "security zone" is actually outside the high tide line. The intent is to close off the area to hunting, shellfishing and similar activities that in areas that otherwise would be expressly permitted under other sections of Mass law, dating back to the colonial era.

Ken

I know Bill Cloran, have looked at his book but not read it. LOTS of mis-information came from him at a meeting where he spoke about the gun laws. Some of this info could get someone 5-10 yrs in the "big house"!

Bill is a likable guy and I have nothing against him. I just found some of his info very dangerous, that's all.

LenS said:
I know Bill Cloran, have looked at his book but not read it. LOTS of mis-information came from him at a meeting where he spoke about the gun laws. Some of this info could get someone 5-10 yrs in the "big house"!

Bill is a likable guy and I have nothing against him. I just found some of his info very dangerous, that's all.

Now that's scarey.

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but has anyone had experience carrying at Worcester Airport? I will be picking up some friends there and will need to go inside the building but not through security. I couldn't find anything on the website regarding firearms.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom