After Action Report: CMP South Visit - range report

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Got to CMP South today. Bad news; the place is mostly empty. About 50 Welded M1s at $350, a handful of M1s in .308, a dozen each of M1C and D; $1500 and $2500, and 19 SA field grades is mostly rough shape. Two sold while I was there; one to me. I broached the subject of a Winchester...they seemed to get that question a lot...only one old gentleman behind the counter who was about to retire.

I found a diamond in the rough; you didn't expect me to leave empty handed did you?

SN 358427, October '41, in the correct GHS/SA stock; GHS visible, SA not really. Wood is a little beat, but a nice color and the forearm play is minimal. All parts are SA WWII except a couple, and most date from 41-42.

Barrel: 11/1946 3 ME 4 TE. I passed on a 978K with a 4/43 barrel, but the barrel was 3/6.
*Hammer: SA-3
*Safety: SA-9
*Bolt: SA-9
*Trigger housing: SA-13
*Follower: SA-12
*Post war SA op rod
*WRA milled TG
*HRA op rod cage
*WRA rear peep sight

I took some pictures, but I don't have the USB cable, and the IPad doesn't have a USB port anyway. I'll post pics when I get home. In TN tonight, TX tomorrow.

Last edited:
Bought an arsenal refurb S/W Victory in 100 percent from my friend; first time he's ever sold a gun - because he has two and my wife and I are like family.

T

At least the store was open! With the nationals right around the corner your lucky there was that much stuff on the floor. You found something you liked.
I'm been trying to get to any one of the stores for 10 years!!!

Got to CMP South today. Bad news; the place is mostly empty. About 50 Welded M1s at $350, a handful of M1s in .308, a dozen each of M1C and D; $1500 and $2500, and 19 SA field grades is mostly rough shape. Two sold while I was there; one to me. I broached the subject of a Winchester...they seemed to get that question a lot...only one old gentleman behind the counter who was about to retire.

I found a diamond in the rough; you didn't expect me to leave empty handed did you?

SN 358427, October '41, in the correct GHS/SA stock; GHS visible, SA not really. Wood is a little beat, but a nice color and the forearm play is minimal. All parts are SA WWII except a couple, and most date from 41-42.

Barrel: 11/1946 3 ME 4 TE. I passed on a 978K with a 4/43 barrel, but the barrel was 3/6.
*Hammer: SA-3
*Bolt: SA-9
*Trigger housing: SA-13
*Follower: SA-12
*Post war SA op rod
*WRA milled TG
*HRA op rod cage
*WRA rear peep sight

I took some pictures, but I don't have the USB cable, and the IPad doesn't have a USB port anyway. I'll post pics when I get home. In TN tonight, TX tomorrow.

What is a welded M1? Thanks in advace

Welded drill rifle most likely. Usually steel slug welded I to chamber and fire pin hole welded along with a snot of weld barrel to reciever.

Cool thanks. And they are worth $350 all welded up like that wow

CMP North has been pretty sad at the nationals the last 3 or 4 years. Definitely seems like they're getting near the bottom of the barrel.

You'd have s stock, trigger group, op-rod, and not much else. You could try to sell the whole thing for s little more than that.

T

You'd have s stock, trigger group, op-rod, and not much else. You could try to sell the whole thing for s little more than that.

T
The thing with drill rifles is you are taking a chance if "any" of the parts are usesble and also if the rifle is complete....
Stock will be beat....0$
Barrel junk 0$
Receiver may be ok. Depending on the weld. I have only seen 2 M1 drill rifles.
Both had very small shallow tac welds barrel to reciever. I removed and installed a barrel on one. The guy I did it for past and I don't know what happened to it?
Both where missing front sights and one the rear peep was gone.
Other than that all the other parts look good. Basically what I see.
Op rod 150$, complete trigger group 150$, stock metal 50$, sight set 50$.
There's good reason though cmp is not stripping the drill rifles for parts though.

The thing with drill rifles is you are taking a chance if "any" of the parts are usesble and also if the rifle is complete....
Stock will be beat....0$
Barrel junk 0$
Receiver may be ok. Depending on the weld. I have only seen 2 M1 drill rifles.
Both had very small shallow tac welds barrel to reciever. I removed and installed a barrel on one. The guy I did it for past and I don't know what happened to it?
Both where missing front sights and one the rear peep was gone.
Other than that all the other parts look good. Basically what I see.
Op rod 150$, complete trigger group 150$, stock metal 50$, sight set 50$.
There's good reason though cmp is not stripping the drill rifles for parts though.

what is the reason they don't strip them for parts?

what is the reason they don't strip them for parts?
I would quess the parts are not worth the effort to save to turn a profit.
I dont know if the cmp would go through the effort of trying to salvage the recievers either...

I would quess the parts are not worth the effort to save to turn a profit.
I dont know if the cmp would go through the effort of trying to salvage the recievers either...

OK now I get it. They really offer these welded M1s for people that need parts. Cool.

In Colorado Springs for a couple days hitting antique stores. Went up Pike's Peak today (14,110 feet). I have picked up 4 pieces of military currency:

U.S. Military Pay Certificate, 5 cents, 1942
German, Allierte Militarbehorde, 50 Pfenning, 1944
U.S. Allied Military currency, issued in Italy, 5 Lire, 1943
German, Sarlehnskassenschein, 1 Mark, 1914

$11 for the 4.

Off to the Cave of the Winds tomorrow and the Zoo; maybe we can leave the kid with the monkeys.

T

Last edited:
Were home. 7000 miles; letting the fart-filled VW air out in the garage.

Here are the M1 Garand pics; 10/1941. The newer gas screw and plug have too much finish - need a set with 50% finish or so.

T

Last edited:
cool thanks for posting.... That FG looks pretty darn good. Most field and rack grades I have seen have the 3 extreme colored pieces of wood. Thats a decent looking set. should shoot just fine.

All cleaned up and greased. Field stripped and cleaned bolt and action; was in much better shape internally than my other field grade M1 save gas cylinder is a little tight. Swapped in a spare gas screw with 50% finish. Added in the PKW44 sling, plastic oiler, M3A1 tool, and grease tub from the old M1. I kept the '45' rack number on the stock, kinda cool. Ready to go to the range.

T

Last edited:
Range report. Best of my three Garands out of the box. Bore shot clean, although not mirror bright at 3+/4. 76 degrees, drizzle, blustery, 100% humidity. 100 yards, seated, no sling, 1978 HXP.

Started at 7 clicks up and hit at 2:00, sixes and sevens as seen on the left target. Walked the shots to center in 2+ clips. I overlaid the second target (right) over the first, and shot the remaining 3+ clips; finishing with rear sight at three clicks up and four left. I might bring it up one, but as my string is up and down, it's me (breathing).

T

Back
Top Bottom