• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Afraid to buy new toys?

Is it just me, or is anyone else afraid to spend their hard earned money on new toys for fear of everything that is going on and/or may happen (i.e. midterm elections, ERPO, etc.) in regards to our Second Amendment rights?

Now is the time to buy. Grab ammo, guns, and accessories. Just bought Shield 2.0 I did not need but wanted. Had to add to my 9mm pistols. They were feeling left out. :D

I want a 1911 so badly, but I don’t want to spend $1,000+ just to find out they’ll be banned a year later, or that Boston will refuse to issue/renew LTCs even if they’re restricted to Target & Hunting.

I want a 1911 so badly, but I don’t want to spend $1,000+ just to find out they’ll be banned a year later, or that Boston will refuse to issue/renew LTCs even if they’re restricted to Target & Hunting.
Wouldnt worry about any fuddgunz ban. (1911, shotguns, bolt actions, revolvers, lever guns, etc) Like someone already said, if theyve banned them, then theyve banned everything and a new toy is the least of your problems.
1)Figure out whats scary to soccer moms and other easily manipulated groups who operate on emotions.
2)Make a wish list of guns you want.
3)Look at where the two lists overlap and start your buying there.

"assault" rifles, "high cap" anything, semi auto anything, "ghost guns" and associated tools, along with C&R and sbr's. As far as buying before the ban goes, thats where I'd start.

You are way too paranoid.

Also, consider moving out of Boston - I had a much easier time getting unrestricted in the city suburbs than I did in Boston itself.

Is it just me, or is anyone else afraid to spend their hard earned money on new toys for fear of everything that is going on and/or may happen (i.e. midterm elections, ERPO, etc.) in regards to our Second Amendment rights?

lt's just you. Traditionally when that kind of shit happens people buy more guns. If they're just toys to you and you can't take the heat, sell them snd get another "hobby". I don't give a flying f*** about any stupid ban, it's wholly irrelevant to any of my purchasing decisions or lack thereof...

-Mike

Perhaps, but I am concerned about what could happen depending on the outcome of the midterm elections.
Remember when we had a democratic president with democrat majorities in the House and the Senate following a huge school massacre?

You know what happened then? Americans bought more guns than ever before.

You know what didn't happen? New gun laws.

Absolutely nothing anti-gun will come out following these midterms. If I thought that bans might be coming I'd be buying MORE guns, not less.

If you can afford it now is the time to buy, buy guns, extra magazines other accessories and especially ammo. During the last few elections people waited for the last minutes to buy guns and ammo, and how did that work out ? Prices went up overnight and .22 caliber ammo disappeared.

Last edited:
As long as your rainy day fund is sufficient, spend away! My problem is that I never think my rainy day fund is large enough... I suppose until my house is paid off and my kids are out on their own I'll carry that paranoia. I work in IT and have been laid-off 3x during my 22 year career all 3 times hit us pretty hard financially.

I've never lost money on a firearm, if you buy right, they only go up in value, same with ammo. Buy some quality pieces and load up on ammo, you can always use them as part of your cushion if necessary.

-chris

As others have said, if a 7-8 round pistol designed over 100 years ago gets banned, we have bigger problems to worry about...and in the event those problems happen, you'll wish you had more guns and ammo.

That said as soon as I moved to NH I started buying stuff that is banned in MA, especially 30rd mags. I know there's a chance that there could be some federal (or even NH-level) ban that somehow has no grandfathering and I'd be in a conundrum, but I'd rather take that risk and spend money on it now knowing that it's unlikely to happen--but not statistically zero--rather than just twiddle my thumbs waiting for legislation that might never come to pass. If there is some sort of renewal of the old federal ban, I'd have enough grandfathered to last. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

That said, it sounds like firearms are to you, as you said, toys. If that's the case and you are more concerned about being out your money, then you should come to terms that firearms are an activity that are always going to be tenuously tied to the political atmosphere. There are few activities that are as subject to the whims of politics as they are.

Right before the election I was getting as much 5.56 and reloading components as I could. I wouldn't get a loan or take out equity or anything, but any spare funds went into stocking up. I don't expect ammo prices will ever go down.

It's like running around worried that your going to die.It's going to happen no matter what you do.So enjoy your guns until they take them from your cold dead hands.

Perhaps, but I am concerned about what could happen depending on the outcome of the midterm elections.

Please see Patron's post above. Live your life and stop worrying so much.

What "might happen" does not cloud my vision on what I want or buy, not for one second.

I've been in this game for >40 yrs and have always bought what appealed to me at the time I made that decision. There are a few things on my "want list" right now and a suppressor is on the top of that list, but since we are planning on moving to NH, we will wait until we escape to Free America to add to our collection.

You are way too paranoid.

Also, consider moving out of Boston - I had a much easier time getting unrestricted in the city suburbs than I did in Boston itself.

Very good advice as well. Boston is certainly more political than even the state of Mass.

What do the midterms have to do with anything? Do you think Dems are going to have enough votes to do anything even in the unlikely event they take over both the House and Senste?

Yes, you’re paranoid. Knock it off.

Is the OP concerned about ban or confiscation? Huge difference. Buy what you want and enjoy.

I’m worried that if something like the 1994 AWB comes back to life at the federal level, it won’t include a grandfather clause for previously purchased items. While I can have 10 round magazines now, what if the new ban states they must be five rounds or less, no exceptions?

I appreciate everyone’s answers to my original post. I also understand why many of you think my concerns are unfounded. While every tragedy that involves firearms seems to invoke an emotionally charged response, I don’t think we have ever seen rhetoric like this before. I apologize in advance for getting “political” here, but whether you like or dislike what the current administration is about/doing, there are many people who have such contempt for it, they simply want to do anything to stop and go against it, even if it’s nonsensical or illogical. As for calling guns toys, I mean that in the sense that I use mine for target shooting, which I very much enjoy.

Last edited:

It's just you. Find a new hobby...

Back
Top Bottom