• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Affordable Spotting Scope

rujero

NES Member
So I qualified at my 200 yard range but until the RSO and I walked down there I had NO clue if I hit the damn thing. Despite it being a Shoot and See 12 inch target, I really couldn't be sure with my scope.

So now starts the spotting scope search. I'm looking for something with good magnification since I am apparently blind. It doesnt have to have a fancy tripod or high quality glass. I'll be shooting under a awning bench rested 90% of the time. I found this one on Amazon with good reviews. And you can attach your phone to record video or take photos directly through it. Thoughts?

Gosky 20-60X 80 Porro Prism Spotting Scope

https://www.amazon.com/Gosky-Spotti...qid=1518518153&sr=1-4&keywords=spotting+scope

For 200 yards, that spotting scope is probably ok, but it is tough to find a spotting scope in that price range that doesn't move around a lot. I will tell you that the tripod it comes with is probably useless. My advice is don't throw away the original packaging until you are sure you are not going to return it.

For budget scopes, Konus has a pretty good reputation, but the tripod is critical. If intended use is really just looking downrange to check a target, you might be better of with something hand held. If you plan on working with a spotter who will call out your shots, you need a spotting scope.

I would also advise you check out optics planet.

2018 Spotting Scopes Product Reviews & Ratings.

won't suggest a spotting scope, there's a bunch of good ones out there. 3 tips though...
1. don't skinflint on a good spotting scope, you'll probably have it a lifetime.
2. buy a bit more scope than you think you need now.
3. all glass is not created equal.

I feel like this has been beat to death here. As Len stated above, go with the Celestron 80. For 200 yards it offers the most bang or your buck.

won't suggest a spotting scope, there's a bunch of good ones out there. 3 tips though...
1. don't skinflint on a good spotting scope, you'll probably have it a lifetime.
2. buy a bit more scope than you think you need now.
3. all glass is not created equal.

Nailed it.

Celestron 80 seems like a winner .

I feel like this has been beat to death here. As Len stated above, go with the Celestron 80. For 200 yards it offers the most bang or your buck.
true but often the post are older and some models dont exist and or prices have changed.

There are several things i will point out that the 4 or 5 budget scopes in my closet taught me.

1. Maginification is not the biggest concern i have a discount store (BJs or Job lot i forget) 25x125x88 scope came as a complete package. $120 the case fell apart 2nd trip the tri pod was useless. and anything over 40x at 100-200 yards was about as clear as the bottom of a beer mug. Very little focus ability....but at around 800 yards on 125x its ok for IDing a deer vs dog.
2. Do not get a spotting scope that is not 45' eye piece and has the rotating body... if you want to set up the scope so you dont have to break your position to do so this is a must
3. forget tri pods get a pole stand and head. I happen to like the Creedmoor Pole Cat
4. you want the best resolution and clarity.
5. EYE relief make sure if you wear glasses you buy a scope with enough eye relief 13mm is about the minimum with my glasses.
6. spotting holes is not always going to be easy even with very good scopes if the lighting is bad at the target you wont see the holes especiall with a black or dark colored bulls eye.
so after wasting about $400 on scopes over a couple years i finally sold the ones i could I treated myself to a pole stand

there are other pole stands but i have had this about 6 years now and its been great
COMPLETE 1

I had the Konus and frankly it was a great scope for the money at the time 6 years ago it was more than it is today i paid $289. it took a beating and was great at 200 and on bright days i can see .22 cl holes on 30x. Eye relief was good enough to keep glasses on. Note that this scope failed on high X at short range even at 600 yards i dont think anything over 30 helped i could see the rings on the target. That scope was fine for my needs but it was stolen a few years ago.

I replaced it with this. i found mine on sale for $499 came with a decent case lens covers and i like it alot its 10 fold better in clerity and resolution than the Konus
27x LER (Long Eye Relief) 80mm Regal M2 Spotting Scope Kit | Celestron - Telescopes, Telescope Accessories, Outdoor and Scientific Products

I still use my POS scopes for pellet gun'n and critter watching.

Don't forget to get a decent stand or tripod too. Doesn't matter how good the glass is, if the scope shakes the image will be unclear. Don't cheap out on a stand. Stable is important.

Back
Top Bottom