Advice on trip carrying propane tanks, firearms and ammo

Under FOPA, I can't find anything saying that I CAN'T put the guns and ammo, locked up separately of course, in the trailer. Does anyone have any insights into whether I can put them in there? I could put the guns and ammo in the cab of the truck, but that will be very cramped. May not even fit, frankly.
Personally, I think you'd be better off with them locked up in the front of the trailer hidden. That way they're not on your person...

Personally, I think you'd be better off with them locked up in the front of the trailer hidden. That way they're not on your person...

Yes, this was my thought. Put them in first into the cargo trailer, everything else next. Unless it comes to a full blown search, you'd never know they were there. My only concern, is, God forbid, an accident. Am I in trouble with them stored in the trailer, even if following the law, guns, unloaded, locked in a separate container from the ammo.

Not certain when reading the law. and of course, IANAL.

Nothing in the law says you can or can't put them in a trailer.

Look at it this way, FOPA makes it clear in their wording that they don't want anyone in the passenger compartment to be able to access the guns or ammo while you are driving. Now ask yourself this: Can anyone access the guns or ammo if they are in locked containers in the trailer pulled behind the vehicle while the vehicle is in motion? If the answer is "no", then I think that you have the answer . . . it must be legal.

Everyone assumes that you MUST give permission for a strip search of your vehicle every time you are stopped for a MV violation! NO, not under any laws anywhere do you HAVE TO GIVE PERMISSION. So, you bury those items deep in a trailer, keep them covered over, obey the MV laws, and NEVER agree to a "voluntary" search. I don't see the problem!! Short of a major accident where all the contents of the trailer spill out over the roadway, I fail to see how anyone will know even if they don't believe in FOPA.

Travel on and enjoy your new freedom once you escape the evil 3 states.

I84 to I81 all the way to VA/NC border, enjoy the mountains and skip all the commie shitholes.

This is a good way. Just don't make a gas stop at the NY side of Port Jervis. The gas stations are in NJ.

Travel with firearms in NY (outside NYC and a couple of cities) is simple. Keep them and all mags in locked cases (if not NY legal), and stay within the speed limits. The cops usually will leave you alone. Much easier than MA or CT.

I drive in upstate NY frequently, as in every week or two. No problems. If a long arm is NY legal, you could have it in the back window of a pick-up. Try that in MA.

NJ and MD? Avoid them like the plague. Same with NYC.

I would see if you can contact these guys and have them help plan the route...

Q8xzZFl.jpg

Arrived safe and sound.

Was a nice route. Took longer than expected but was also nice to not drive through NYC and the jersey turnpike.

on my deck watching the intercoastal as I write this.

Congrats. Was just there at "Tops'l" a couple weeks ago. Really nice place but hope the big one never hits you.

Welcome to freedom, and don't forget to change the location on your avatar!

Arrived safe and sound.

Was a nice route. Took longer than expected but was also nice to not drive through NYC and the jersey turnpike.

on my deck watching the intercoastal as I write this.

Why haven't you updated your location yet?!? That would be the first thing I did upon arrival.

Back
Top Bottom