• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Advice needed for AR15 type purchase

I'm going to purchase an AR15 type rifle shortly and would like some input on the various makes and models. What you like, dislike, what manufacturer to stay away from etc. Are the magazines interchangable (Colt fit in a Bushmaster?)

Thanks for your help!

What are you planning using the rifle for?
I have experience with only a few AR's. One was built on a Mega lower with HBAR upper. Another built on Stag lower with RRA upper. Both ran excellent and cranked through any ammo I threw at them, including Wolf.
I have no personal experience with other manufactuers. The one thing I consider stupid is having an AR with a folding stock that is fixed open (because of the AWB). It may add a little to the looks, but is less comfortable than a good fixed stock. Personally, I am partial to VLTOR rifle stocks. I think they give a very nice cheek weld.
An AR magazine, is an AR magazine. I think the only brand to avoid is USA mags. Also, make sure any magazine over 10 rounds was manufactured before 9/13/1994 (ie preban).
That's all I can think of for now.

I like my Colt ARs, and know I'll be getting to like my Bushmaster carbine once it comes back from its trip to JPrifles.com for a trigger job and I get a few rounds downrange.

Depends upon what you want it for. I'm told AR-15s can be quite accurate if configured properly, or they can be a fun little SHTF carbine, or a tricked out black rifle/carbine. If you want fun or SHTF carbine then take a look at the Kel-Tec SU-16. It takes AR-15 mags but has a cleaner gas piston & rod driven action versus direct gas. With a 16" to 18" barrel and plastic body it's not going to compete with an AR-15 built-up for accuracy but it easy a fun and handy carbine that shoots pretty well. You can accessorize it some, but again the AR-15 is a bit more flexible there.

I'd avoid Colts due to different FCG and pivot pin sizes, slab side lowers, etc

I have a Colt Competitor HBAR and love it. Extremely accurate.
We had only Colts when I was on the Team and they were very reliable. We used A2 Uppers on A1 lowers for as long as we could and used only the OLD Ammo and stayed clear of the Green Tip. I prefer the length of the A1 lower Butt. the A2 is about 3/4" longer and makes it a bit harder to wrap the arm around (1 1/2") in the Off-Hand.
I am not sure what you mean by your statement.

If you go with Colt, just make sure it has standard pin sizes or be willing to spend a little extra to get the special pins and or pivot adapters. Some of the civilian Colts were manufactured with different pin sizes, I don't know how many or if they still are.

I have Bushmasters, LMT & Stag. I'm happiest with the Bushmasters. The LMT lower is tight in the magwell, not all the mags drop free, although everything else is fine. The Stag has a very tight fit to the upper, tighter than I would like.

As far as getting a rifle, carbine, free float barrel... it all depends on what you're planning on doing with it.

Yes, all mags are interchangeable. Just stay with quality mags.

My only suggestion is look into a flat top in case you want to add optics in the future.

A have a Rock River and a Bushmaster. Both are fine firearms. We had Colt AR15's at my department and although they were great firearms, I feel you pay a price for the name.

I've had a DPMS lo pro since December, runs great, no issues. Almost the only one I've ever used though, so I've nothing to compare it to

Back
Top Bottom