Advice for picking a Stack-on double sided wafer lock?

Barrel picks often work very easily, but you need a $et if you want to cover anything other than the ACE 137 centered tubular. If you want to know what is highly pick resistant, just look at what vending machines are using (plus of course the S&G lever locks and LaGard disk detainer keyed safe locks).

Time was you had to go to a locksmith supply house and convince them you were legit to get access to the HPC stuff. Now, there are multiple online vendors and product brand, many of which sell at vastly inflated consumer rather than trade prices. Nothing beats a nice HPC classic set as a starting point, though I don't know if they have updated their assortment to include a Bogota rake. HPC still seems to sell mostly through trade rather than nerd sources.

I haven't encountered a double sided I needed to open yet, but the pick set (HPC sells a near identical one) look more like a set of jiggle/tryout keys than true picks. Whatever works though.

I did not want to pay ~$70-90 ea for a 7 or 8 pin barrel pick to play with. I do however remember the kryptonite debacle (Bic Pen work around) lol.

I chose a random double sided pick from my set (the sparrows above), jiggled and poof! Safe opened! Asked if one of the guns was my payment. He said no... sniff.

Lol. I've got a Goldie that was given out by the Factory to Techs. It's like jewelry...
VIN key matching started in the mid 90's. Before that we would remove the key cover and handwrite the key number on the original setup hardcopy.
Only good if an original purchase was made at our shop. Bought it somewhere else? Sorry.

Think I'll need to hear more about the "Island"... [smile]

You tell me what a Goldie is and I’ll tell you my rental story at the next meet up! Which better be frigging soon!!!!!! f’ this lock up the state s#it!! Need a pick to unlock us all!!!

Barrel picks often work very easily, but you need a $et if you want to cover anything other than the ACE 137 centered tubular. If you want to know what is highly pick resistant, just look at what vending machines are using (plus of course the S&G lever locks and LaGard disk detainer keyed safe locks).

Time was you had to go to a locksmith supply house and convince them you were legit to get access to the HPC stuff. Now, there are multiple online vendors and product brand, many of which sell at vastly inflated consumer rather than trade prices. Nothing beats a nice HPC classic set as a starting point, though I don't know if they have updated their assortment to include a Bogota rake. HPC still seems to sell mostly through trade rather than nerd sources.

I haven't encountered a double sided I needed to open yet, but the pick set (HPC sells a near identical one) look more like a set of jiggle/tryout keys than true picks. Whatever works though.
My skill set is child-like and I blush in your presence. Namaste...

Gold-Plated baby. Gold-Plated...

Wait... wait!!
9C685BA6-1D24-4214-984F-A51CE789F1E6.png
Had not looked at it in years!!!

Gold (read the certificate, brass) plated... sniff.

Edited my post after I read the certificate after I claimed gold. Should be solid gold for what I paid!

Last edited:
Yeah, Only yours fit an actual bike. Mine never even got cut!

It's not a safe cracking story, but I once broke into a cop car, in the Lincoln, MA PD's lot.

PD had purchased a used K-Car from me at the dealership I worked at (undercover ride). A couple of weeks later, the cop that I'd done the deal with, asked if we could cut new keys - they'd managed to lock both sets I'd given them in the car! [laugh]

Since we were not the original dealer, we did not have the invoice (Key Codes were on them), so I said, "Sorry, no. But I can come over and break into it for you." I drove over, found the car (checked the doors - you'd be surprised how often one would turn up to be open), then went to the Desk Sergeant, and told him I was looking for [cop's name]. He was out, so I said that I'd be breaking into the car. "Why are you telling me?" He asked.

"Dude....I'm gonna be slim-jimming a car in a PD parking lot....."

"Good point," he admitted.

Took maybe 30 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom