Adjustable stock solution?

I was reading the Mass Awb and enforcement notice last night and came to the conclusion that if you replaced your stock on your rifle with a pistol brace that the brace would not have to be pinned because mass defines the stock the same way the atf does. Since you put a brace on a rifle you could then shoulder it. Is this conclusion incorrect?

You can not make a rifle into a pistol.
A rifle "is designed to be fired from the sholder" a brace is not designed to be shouldered. Not sure if the brace alone changes the definition without a <16" barrel

If it has a 16 inch barrel and an OAL of 26+ inches it is not a pistol. Barring any weird Massachusetts shit you can add a brace to a rifle and it doesn’t make it a pistol.

If your looking for a shorter length of pull try a entry length stock

Not looking for length of pull. Want a truck gun and would like to collapse it down for storage and have the ability to open on use.

Not looking for length of pull. Want a truck gun and would like to collapse it down for storage and have the ability to open on use.

You can add a Law Tactical folding stock adapter, I don't like the idea of having a single shot when its folded but its compact AF. Again, I have no idea if your state has laws that infringe on your choices.

I believe the law is illegal in Mass because it folds. Or at least they made me pin the folding part of my mcx stock for that reason

I believe the law is illegal in Mass because it folds. Or at least they made me pin the folding part of my mcx stock for that reason

In Pennsylvania an SBR is governed as a pistol, so I can throw a loaded SBR on my truck seat and I'm legal. If you SBR your AR can you then carry it loaded in a vehicle? The eForm system makes making an SBR very easy, of course it will cost you $200.

I'm in the wrong state for everything. But have a storage solution that divides rifle from ammo in two different sections of lockable compartment making it legal

I'm in the wrong state for everything. But have a storage solution that divides rifle from ammo in two different sections of lockable compartment making it legal

You seem to consider yourself an authority on what's legal and what's not, so just interpret how you're going to interpret and keep your fingers crossed.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, but you don't really seem to ACTUALLY know much about MA laws.

I don't consider myself an authority that's why I'm here am I missing something about transporting a rifle in mass? Or do you just want to keep making passive aggressive comments that help no one

alright, what happened to our unwritten motto here at nes...oh shit, the op isn't green! just like the handshake, i can't reveal it until he or she is green.

So... you have a rifle as defined under mgl. You want to replace the stock with a brace thinking it would no longer be defined under mgl as a rifle. With a 16” or greater barrel it couldn’t be considered a pistol (disregarding a rifle cannot be remade in to a pistol as well awb weight restrictions). Are you leaning toward it being classified as “firearm” with the brace?

I not thinking it should redefine the rifle as anything other than rifle. I'm just wondering if the pistol brace would be considered a stock in which case it would have to be pinned or otherwise fixed correct? If still considered a brace does that fall under the Awb in which it states adjustable stock as defined by atf definition of a stock. Pretty much if I add a brace can I keep that adjustable or does that become a stock when added to rifle?

I not thinking it should redefine the rifle as anything other than rifle. I'm just wondering if the pistol brace would be considered a stock in which case it would have to be pinned or otherwise fixed correct? If still considered a brace does that fall under the Awb in which it states adjustable stock as defined by atf definition of a stock. Pretty much if I add a brace can I keep that adjustable or does that become a stock when added to rifle?
Law says no adjustable stocks on AWs. You need a preban.

@Ofp Ray two pieces of advice:

1. Come here for opinions if you must but know that it is not legal advice. If you get jacked up with law enforcement you can't say but dr grant said it was OK or some such

2. Go green - support the hobby and everything that keeps it going

Your right on both accounts went green just looking for opinion on it. Is there a way to verify with ATF?

That's the way to do it in order to be legal, but in that case it's just better to CC a pistol so that you can have something ready to go and legal because it's on your person. We're just in the wrong stupid-ass state for a truck gun.

If you were dead set on a compact AR platform and didn't want to spend stupid money on a preban, an alternative would be a fixed mag pistol. 10 rounds of 300 BLK would offer decent firepower from a 10.5" barrel and folded it would be very compact.

I was reading the Mass Awb and enforcement notice last night and came to the conclusion that if you replaced your stock on your rifle with a pistol brace that the brace would not have to be pinned because mass defines the stock the same way the atf does. Since you put a brace on a rifle you could then shoulder it. Is this conclusion incorrect?

Im confused.... so you want a stock that doesnt have to be pinned to the buffer tube? Just get a fixed stock if you don't want to pin an adjustable stock.

You can shoulder a pistol brace.
Putting a pistol brace on an "assault" rifle does not make it not an assault rifle.
Putting a pistol brace on any rifle does not make it a "pistol".
You can not convert a rifle into a pistol.
You CAN convert a pistol into a rifle with a tax stamp.

What folks are saying is just because it is sold as a brace doesn't mean the arresting officer will agree. Otherwise, they would just call it a hoola hoop. I think the point is, even if you are correct ( and i don't think so) the cost to defend it will be a lot more than just buying a pre ban lower. Hell, even on a preban lower, I think you are going away and your firearm is getting confiscated while awaiting trial. Cops typically are not familiar with every aspect of the law, and you are not holding court on the side of the road.

Sure, you are probably going to win in the end. But it will come with a steep price. I think you are better off coming up with an alternate storage solution that will accommodate a pinned stock.

What folks are saying is just because it is sold as a brace doesn't mean the arresting officer will agree. Otherwise, they would just call it a hoola hoop. I think the point is, even if you are correct ( and i don't think so) the cost to defend it will be a lot more than just buying a pre ban lower. Hell, even on a preban lower, I think you are going away and your firearm is getting confiscated while awaiting trial. Cops typically are not familiar with every aspect of the law, and you are not holding court on the side of the road.

Sure, you are probably going to win in the end. But it will come with a steep price. I think you are better off coming up with an alternate storage solution that will accommodate a pinned stock.
I think your probably right I'm just getting too cute with it. Was just one of those thoughts.

That‘s why my MPX stock is pinned. If I understand correctly, even SBR-ing a rifle doesn’t change its status in Massachusetts and needs to be carried like any other rifle.

That‘s why my MPX stock is pinned. If I understand correctly, even SBR-ing a rifle doesn’t change its status in Massachusetts and needs to be carried like any other rifle.
In that quote I was referring to the law folding stock. Also I've already said it's needs to be transported as a rifle the question is on weather a folding brace counts as a stock when referring to the features on the Awb. Meaning fixed or remaining adjustable

Back
Top Bottom