• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo storage flying solution

Joeldiaz

NES Member
I’m flying out to attend a course next month and I anticipate possibly bringing back home with me about 250-300 rounds of unused ammo from the course. Looking for suggestions as to what I can use to bring back the ammo with me. Due to the timing of my return flight back, shipping the ammo isn’t really an option. Airline requires that the container be made of cardboard, wood or metal. Don’t like the idea or cardboard, the airline requires the ammo be separate from the gun so I don’t want the cardboard to break in my luggage. Metal seems better to me than wood. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Was hoping there was maybe a metal version of this I could purchase:
https://a.co/d/5XkRuLJ seems like I could fit 300 rounds in there easily.

I’m flying out to attend a course next month and I anticipate possibly bringing back home with me about 250-300 rounds of unused ammo from the course. Looking for suggestions as to what I can use to bring back the ammo with me. Due to the timing of my return flight back, shipping the ammo isn’t really an option. Airline requires that the container be made of cardboard, wood or metal. Don’t like the idea or cardboard, the airline requires the ammo be separate from the gun so I don’t want the cardboard to break in my luggage. Metal seems better to me than wood. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Was hoping there was maybe a metal version of this I could purchase:
https://a.co/d/5XkRuLJ seems like I could fit 300 rounds in there easily.

Check with your airline, but:
1. Most have a limit on weight for ammo.
2. Most don't want loose rounds.
3. It has to be locked.

I would get MTM plastic ammo boxes and lock them.

Some airlines require original ammo box, so save those during your class. Ammo can fly in the same case as the firearm,
I checked, my specific airline (JetBlue) requires the ammo be separate from the firearm. Original box isn’t required, but the container has to be specifically designed for carrying small amounts of ammo

I checked, my specific airline (JetBlue) requires the ammo be separate from the firearm. Original box isn’t required, but the container has to be specifically designed for carrying small amounts of ammo
Can you switch to Delta?

Check with your airline, but:
1. Most have a limit on weight for ammo.
2. Most don't want loose rounds.
3. It has to be locked.

I would get MTM plastic ammo boxes and lock them.
1. It’s 11 pounds, 300 rounds of 124 grain 9mm is about 8.5-9 pounds. Looking for something compact and light enough to stay under the 11 pound limit.
2. Website doesn’t say anything about loose rounds
3. No mention of locking requirements for ammo specifically.

Apparently, most airlines have a weight limit for ammo of 11 pounds, but check with your specific airline.

Frank
yeah I checked, it’s 11 pounds. I weighed out 300 rounds of 9mm 124 grain in a ziplock bag and it came out to be around 8.5-9 pounds. Gives me about 2-2.5 pounds of wiggle.

1. It’s 11 pounds, 300 rounds of 124 grain 9mm is about 8.5-9 pounds. Looking for something compact and light enough to stay under the 11 pound limit.
2. Website doesn’t say anything about loose rounds
3. No mention of locking requirements for ammo specifically.
I would call them. Last line:

SmartSelect_20231028_223403_Chrome.jpg

What I would do to simplify it ... bring a roll of tape. Wrap the cardboard ammo boxes in tape. They won't break in your checked bag.

Can you link me where you see that? This is what I’m looking at: JetBlue

View attachment 811044

I took it from a different website that almost matches everything in the Jetblue website.

If you want to risk carrying them loose, go ahead. Or just tape the cardboard boxes and stop worrying about it, they will not break in your checked bag.

I took it from a different website that almost matches everything in the Jetblue website.

If you want to risk carrying them loose, go ahead. Or just tape the cardboard boxes and stop worrying about it, they will not break in your checked bag.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I don’t really have a choice, I bought 1000 rounds in bulk and the supplier I buy from doesn’t package the rounds in smaller individual boxes. They pack them in 4 different plastic bags of 250 rounds and stuff those into one big cardboard box. I don’t suppose anyone has any spare ammo boxes laying around?

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I don’t really have a choice, I bought 1000 rounds in bulk and the supplier I buy from doesn’t package the rounds in smaller individual boxes. They pack them in 4 different plastic bags of 250 rounds and stuff those into one big cardboard box. I don’t suppose anyone has any spare ammo boxes laying around?
Take 6 boxes of ammo at home, empty the boxes, bring them with you and place the ammo in the boxes.

Take 6 boxes of ammo at home, empty the boxes, bring them with you and place the ammo in the boxes.
I don’t have any empty boxes of ammo, I always toss those and store my ammo in ammo cans to make storage more compact.

I don’t have any empty boxes of ammo, I always toss those and store my ammo in ammo cans to make storage more compact.
Go to Amazon and order 6 MTM plastic ammo boxes. I have like 15 of those for 45ACP. They are cheap, small, and light.

Or ... buy 6 boxes of 9mm. You will shoot it eventually, so buy them now before prices go up because of the war.

Last edited:
Go to Amazon and order 6 MTN plastic ammo boxes. I have like 15 of those for 45ACP. They are cheap, small, and light.
Wouldn’t help me out since the container has to be cardboard, wood or metal
Or ... buy 6 boxes of 9mm. You will shoot it eventually, so buy them now before prices go up because of the war.
I guess I’ll have to go this route. Bummer, I literally just spent a ton of money buying ammo, now I gotta go through it again. My wallet is killing me

Wouldn’t help me out since the container has to be cardboard, wood or metal

I guess I’ll have to go this route. Bummer, I literally just spent a ton of money buying ammo, now I gotta go through it again. My wallet is killing me
Plastic will be fine.

How can they prove that is not the original container?

Small Pelican box is lockable and can't weigh more than a pound. You buying ammo at the course site or? Order plastic ammo boxes from Midway or Amazon, or if you live near a Cabela's or BassPro pick some up before you go. How does one lock a cardboard box, if that's their specified container?

Small Pelican box is lockable and can't weigh more than a pound.
Thanks, I’ll look into it
You buying ammo at the course site or?
Nope, Having it shipped there.
Order plastic ammo boxes from Midway or Amazon, or if you live near a Cabela's or BassPro pick some up before you go.
Don’t live near a Cabela’s or BPS. Will check Amazon.
How does one lock a cardboard box, if that's their specified container?
Ammo doesn’t need to be locked.

Thanks, I’ll look into it

Nope, Having it shipped there.

Don’t live near a Cabela’s or BPS. Will check Amazon.

Ammo doesn’t need to be locked.
Harbor Freight? They are everywhere. And your wallet will thank you for $3 well spent. It’ll hold 1k of 9mm easy. It even says “Security” on the box. Much safe. Wow.

BB443973-3675-4B3F-BAF7-6F18C551875B.png

@Joeldiaz I’m located in Central MA near Worcester. I have several empty cardboard 9MM boxes of various manufacturers — you’re welcome to a few to get you to the 300-350 round limit you need. I save a few for reloading purposes. Send me a PM if you’re close and want to meet up.

Last edited:
Ship it back, ups or FedEx ground.

Or, if it's too much of a pita, sell it to someone at your class. Money is easier to carry. If you take a loss, consider it part of the price of the class. I don't know what you're spending, but if you're coughing up the bucks for a plane ride, on top of the class' cost, is the price of the ammo significant?

I mean, I can, have, and will, "Flint" with the best of them, but there comes a time to embrace your privilege as an American, and not care about a few bucks.

Ship it back, ups or FedEx ground.

Or, if it's too much of a pita, sell it to someone at your class. Money is easier to carry. If you take a loss, consider it part of the price of the class. I don't know what you're spending, but if you're coughing up the bucks for a plane ride, on top of the class' cost, is the price of the ammo significant?

I mean, I can, have, and will, "Flint" with the best of them, but there comes a time to embrace your privilege as an American, and not care about a few bucks.
Can’t ship it because of the timing of my return flight. I’d rather not really sell it either because it’s reman ammunition. I’ve gone through thousands of rounds of this reman stuff on my own and have had no issue, but I don’t want to risk the one time there’s an issue occurring with someone else’s gun and being held liable for that. If it were factory ammo, sure I’d definitely try to sell it.

@Joeldiaz I’m located in Central MA near Worcester. I have several empty cardboard 9MM boxes of various manufacturers — you’re welcome to a few to get you to the 300-350 round limit you need. I save a few for reloading purposes. Send me a PM if you’re close and want to meet up.
PM sent, thanks

I bought 1000 rounds in bulk and the supplier I buy from doesn’t package the rounds in smaller individual boxes. They pack them in 4 different plastic bags of 250 rounds and stuff those into one big cardboard box.
Fenix?

Don't overthink this. Pick up the ammo box above or something similar and put it in your checked bag. Let us know how it worked out. Where are you flying out of on your return flight??

I have flown many times ( jetblue, dleta, south west) using MTM cases, I put 4x 9mm 100 round cases in a snug fit cardboard box just as a bit of protection for the plastic. The ammo does not need to be locked. Ammo in your checked bag is really not any issue at all. I may have heard of someone going well over the 11 lbs limit on occasion, as long as the checked bag itself is not over weight, nobody cares. I will typically check 2 bags, one with my pistol case and the other with the ammo, while my range gear and clothes are spread in both bags.

Back
Top Bottom