Address change notification

A friend of mine who has a MA LTC ALP is retiring and going to FL for 3-4 months. He will be temporally staying with a relative (in FL) and plans to be back in Aug. He’s giving up his apartment in MA, but not moving to FL. He is storing his things at a relative’s house in the same town he lives in now and will be staying there for a few months when he gets back. The question is, since he won’t have an actual residency anywhere, how should he handle the FRB change of address requirements? Should he give them the address of the relative in MA, or? Thanks

If he plans on staying at the relative's house in the same town, I don't think he needs to do anything since it will still be the same PD that issued the license. At the most possibly write a letter to the Chief saying his address will change within the town but even that is probably not really necessary, just a courtesy.

I do not believe that he needs to make a formal notice until he takes up permanent residence in another Massachusetts city/town.

"I don't think he needs to do anything since it will still be the same PD that issued the license."

Don't guess, KNOW. You just gave VERY bad advice, however reasonable and well-intentioned. From the controlling statute:

"Any licensee shall notify, in writing, the licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence. Failure to so notify shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license."

Note the "...ANY change of address...." Note further the "REVOCATION or suspension" of the license.

As one can hardly have an address in an apartment one has left, notification is clearly required. The relative's address would seem to be the logical new address.

Scrivener,

Your advice is duly noted. I will immediately refund all monies bfips paid me for my opinion.

FPrice said:
Scrivener,

Your advice is duly noted. I will immediately refund all monies bfips paid me for my opinion.

Is someone getting a bit testy?

In all seriousness, when it comes to MA firearms law, if you are going to try to help someone out, you better be sure you know what you are talking about before you try to make a definitive post.

You might just want to rethink and retool your acerbic reply to Scrivener.

Both Cross-X and Scrivener are "dead on" here!

DO NOT GUESS ABOUT MA LAWS!

If you want to help, go research it and give a citation when you post your response. In most cases you can see that this is exactly what I do and the reason I do it (it takes time!) is so that the person HAS REAL info and not a "Len said it was xxxx".

Ex. If the town renumbers your street and you do not move, you still MUST NOTIFY everyone per MGLs or stand a chance of losing your LTC "for cause"! As far as the law goes, in my example, your address changed and it is the same as if you had physically moved!

For those who can post erroneous responses but are incapable of actually finding the correct information, here's a link to the information needed:

http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/addresschange.pdf

Note that this info appears regularly in The Outdoor Message and was on the FRONT PAGE of this month's issue. Of course, those who don't read or won't join THE firearms rights organization in this state would not know this.....

bfips,

In order to redeem myself I called the Director of Firearms Support Services for the CHSB and asked about this issue. The Director, a very personable woman, verified that even when moving within the same town a license holder is required to notify the the CHSB and the COP of the move.

I apologize for my incorrect answer and hope that your friend enjoys his retirement.

Thanks all; I guess I should have been more specific about his concern about not having actual residences for about 6 months and wanting to stay within the law while keeping his MA LTC. Thanks again Bill

FPrice said:
bfips,

In order to redeem myself I called the Director of Firearms Support Services for the CHSB and asked about this issue. The Director, a very personable woman, verified that even when moving within the same town a license holder is required to notify the the CHSB and the COP of the move.

I apologize for my incorrect answer and hope that your friend enjoys his retirement.

That would be Cal Sawyer. I hope to take her shooting again this weekend.

Scrivener said:

Keith, please remember to be nice to the lady!! [wink] Whatever you do, please don't get arrogant with her and piss her off. We do NOT want her as an enemy!

Cal = Caroline Sawyer, right?

Last edited:
Scrivener said:
LenS said:
Keith, please remember to be nice to the lady!! [wink] Whatever you do, please don't get arrogant with her and piss her off. We do NOT want her as an enemy!

If he is taking her out again I'm sure everything is alright. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom