• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Active Military: what do I do if I own guns that aren't mass complient

Good morning, I have a question regarding what I should do about owning guns that are not mass complient. I've been stationed in 29 palms California for the last 3 years, and since I've been here I've bought a few guns that aren't on the compliance list for mass... springfield xd9, stag arms 3tm(ar15). Are they "grandfathered" because I'm a resident just on active duty orders somewhere else or is there something I need to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Semper Fidelis

you can own and have the handguns, even if you couldn't buy them here. Just not >10rd mags which are illegal unless made before 1994.

What "evil features" do you have on your AR?

Thank you for your service

If you're talking about handguns that aren't on the EOPS Approved Weapons Rosters (ex. XD9) then you're OK to bring them in, as long as you don't have any post-'94 regular capacity magazines (>10 rounds). Those lists restrict what can be sold by dealers "to protect us consumers", not what can be owned.

Any rifles, shotguns, magazines or handguns that do not conform the the state AWB are verboten to possess in MA. AFAIK there are no considerations for military in the AWB or rosters. I'm sure Len S. will be along to clarify/fix anything I've got wrong.

you can own and have the handguns, even if you couldn't buy them here. Just not >10rd mags which are illegal unless made before 1994.

What "evil features" do you have on your AR?

Thank you for your service

he had the ARs in CA, I'm guessing they are MA compliant as those *******s are worse than M*******s but good idea to double check

Your AR provided it was note registered before the nonsense the AG just foisted upon us may or may not be lawful to posses in MA, even with the 'evil features' removed. Heck even if it was registered all she has done is promise not to prosecute you.

The pistols are no problem (provided they are AWB compliant.)

EDIT: Well I guess if you possessed it pre 7/20 even without registering it in MA you are protected by her weak 'I will not prosecute you' claim. Save your receipt.

Last edited:
Whatever you decide to bring back, the good news is that you don't have to file an E-FA 10 for them.

To the OP, thank you for your service.

You may be able to get your AR-15 to be Mass compliant, as long as it doesn't have any of the Assault Weapon Ban 'evil features' AND if it was purchased before 7-20 of this year. As far as moving to MA, sorry you're stuck here.

We have a state organization with some tips when you move here: http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/newresidentinfo.html

divest all of your >10 round magazines, or leave them out of state with friends or family until you are paroled from MA to a free state.

Why? Who the **** is going to know he has them? You folks only "Register" your firearms when you purchase them. Not when you move into the state from another state.

I guess we were all talking about AR15... as that's what we only focused on in all the Ban talk. He doesn't need to register it but if he gets caught with it, it's still problem isn't it?

add:
Hmm... CA compliant might be good enough for MA

Last edited:
The OP is probably only more confused by the MA situation after this post. Sorry OP, we are all kind of at a loss at this point on ARs.

To the OP, thank you for your service.

You may be able to get your AR-15 to be Mass compliant, as long as it doesn't have any of the Assault Weapon Ban 'evil features' AND if it was purchased before 7-20 of this year. As far as moving to MA, sorry you're stuck here.

We have a state organization with some tips when you move here: http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/newresidentinfo.html

divest all of your >10 round magazines, or leave them out of state with friends or family until you are paroled from MA to a free state.

Stupid question, if he owns his AR before 7/20 in another state, can't it be legally owned here since he won't be able to register it (assuming he still want to register it)?

Last edited:
So basically my pistols are fine as long as they don't have more then 10 round mags. But my ar will be a problem? I bought it here before the ar ban in MA does that make a difference? As far as I know the California "assault weapons" laws are stricter then they are in MA I mean the damn thing has to have a bullet button on it!

So my pistols are good then I don't have anything with more then 10 rounds. I do have a class A large capacity LTC for MA. but my AR will be an issue? I owned it before the ban I have the paper work to prove it will that mag a difference?

So basically my pistols are fine as long as they don't have more then 10 round mags. But my ar will be a problem? I bought it here before the ar ban in MA does that make a difference? As far as I know the California "assault weapons" laws are stricter then they are in MA I mean the damn thing has to have a bullet button on it!

The mags are OK if they are pre ban. The AR is frankly hard to say, you will find varying opinions on the AR around these parts at this time.

Since you bought it before the ban, you should be good under the pinky promise the AG has made not to prosecute owners of ARs... (provided the
evil features' are removed.) Bullet button has no impact in MA law.

Pistol: everything is fine. mags, 10 rd only if it was made after 94.
Rifle: MA only have AWB : 1) Pre 94 ban, you don't need to worry a thing. 2) post 94, you will have to make it MA compliant. Pin the stock and no flashhider. For AR mags, same rule as pistols.

I'm assuming you bought the Stag AR-15 with a bullet button installed which made it CA compliant. This would NOT make it MA compliant as MA goes by "evil features" to determine whether or not its an AW. You would have to at least pin the stock (make it fixed) , and weld/pin the conpensator to the barrel to make it MA compliant. I have residences in both CA and MA and can legally purchase firearms in either state. I know that MA compliance and CA compliance are not compatible to each other.

I already have fixed but stock but I will have to take my compensator off then that's fine with me as lomg as I don't have to sell it I'm into that gun for 1600 bucks

I already have fixed but stock but I will have to take my compensator off then that's fine with me as lomg as I don't have to sell it I'm into that gun for 1600 bucks

I believe you cannot have a threaded barrel to be MA legal. I believe that pinning/welding the compensator gets around around the threaded barrel issue, but I'm not an expert in MA compliant ARs

Last edited:

The comp is fine, it just has to be pinned. Of course that is the pre 7/20 position... Now? You SHOULD be ok, but uncertain.

So I can just weld the compensator on then? That makes it permanent and not threaded anymore correct?
a recoil compensator is fine. just no flashhider. for compensator, MA compliant means you need to weld it to your barrel to make it permanent you know.

No, if you bring it with you, keep it locked up, go through your proper steps to get your license in the required time frame, there's no requirement to eFA-10 any of it.

So you can bring in whatever AR15 you have and don't EFA10 them. But you do have to make them MA compliant if its post 94 ban

Back
Top Bottom