• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Active Military: what do I do if I own guns that aren't mass complient

guns? what guns?

in all reality, if you have a choice, go to NH. after that, pistols are fine, just have mags with 10 rounds or less. as for the AR, I have no idea, I bought all of mine in MA.

as for the 30 rd mags, im sure you have "acquired" a few that won't make it back to CIF. go through yours and your friends for pre-ban ones, and trade out your non pre-ban...[smile]

You have a few options. The best option, IMO, is to commute from NH. I knew several people who did that at Hanscom, though probably not specifically to avoid MA gun laws. Another option, if you don't want to butcher your rifles into MA-compliance, is to store them for the duration of your assignment with .mil security forces at your assigned post - you won't be able to legally get them out until you move to NH or PCS. If you must live in MA, of course you can butcher them into compliance and fill out the appropriate paperwork. The last option is to delete this thread and don't talk about your personal property until you get to your next duty station. The commute from NH might be rough but it's probably the best option.

I moved from Ft. Rucker to MA a few years back. I kept literally everything, and bought some MA complient mags.
Don't kid yourself, lots of people in MA have new-ban mags from over the boarder in NH, VT or CT when it was legal in CT. Just don't be stupid and tell everyone about it. I don't live in MA any more. Bring your stuff, buy some MA friendly stuff and vote to get the laws passed.

Also read up on registering your stuff in MA with the FA10.

Last edited:
I already have fixed but stock but I will have to take my compensator off then that's fine with me as lomg as I don't have to sell it I'm into that gun for 1600 bucks

Thanks for your service Marine. I have the same AR that you've described. Unless you have a pre 94 ban lower, you can't have the adjustable stock, a flash hider, or a bayonet lug. Compensator is fine if welded. Pretty easy to have done.

Lots of good info on this post however very confusing some say one thing while others say the opposite. Let me lay down some facts here. I am currently a resident of Massachussets. I had an FID as a kid and when home this past summer on leave I was able to get my LTC. I've been stationed in california since 2013. Because I'm stationed here the state counts me as a resident as long as I'm still here on active duty orders. So basically I have dual residents. (I still have to do MA taxes). I'll be EAS(end of active servise) in march. And moving home. Still a resident with a resident LTC class A. If I make the ar mass complient can I keep it?

Lots of good info on this post however very confusing some say one thing while others say the opposite. Let me lay down some facts here. I am currently a resident of Massachussets. I had an FID as a kid and when home this past summer on leave I was able to get my LTC. I've been stationed in california since 2013. Because I'm stationed here the state counts me as a resident as long as I'm still here on active duty orders. So basically I have dual residents. (I still have to do MA taxes). I'll be EAS(end of active servise) in march. And moving home. Still a resident with a resident LTC class A. If I make the ar mass complient can I keep it?

Yes. Keep it, but remove the adjustability factor in the stock, weld the compensator, and remove the bayonet lug.

The AG recently issued an enforcement notice that essentially says that (with a few exceptions) there is no such thing as a "Mass compliant" AR. All of the old "pin the stock and weld the comp and you're good to go" stuff is gray area at best now. There are lawsuits pending already but it will be years before they're decided (and no guarantee they'll go our way.)

http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html

Bottom line, the whole situation is a confusing mess and you're not going to get a clear answer here either way because nobody ~really~ knows. (Anyone telling you that they know for sure is full of crap.)

Does your MA Drivers License still not expire while you are on active duty?

An expired MA license is valid in MA for as long as a person is on active duty orders. Other states may not honor it. I believe in GA you get a 6 month grace period if you are on active duty orders.

An expired MA license is valid in MA for as long as a person is on active duty orders. Other states may not honor it. I believe in GA you get a 6 month grace period if you are on active duty orders.

A MA LTC is good until you muster out too. Good luck on finding local POs and dealers who will honor one that shows as expired on its face!

Your best bet is to contact a MA firearms lawyer to get a legal opinion on your situation. I haven't dealt with any MA lawyers but other NES members can give you reommendations

If you don't have to live in Mass. NH isn't that far away, lol!

This. We decided to buy in MA because the laws were easy enough to deal with and the legislature was responsive to the masses of gun owners who reached out to them... but theres no ****ing point because the entire state is rigged against us as seen by Healeys latest BS.

We will be moving to NH in a few years.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Good morning, I have a question regarding what I should do about owning guns that are not mass complient. I've been stationed in 29 palms California for the last 3 years, and since I've been here I've bought a few guns that aren't on the compliance list for mass... springfield xd9, stag arms 3tm(ar15). Are they "grandfathered" because I'm a resident just on active duty orders somewhere else or is there something I need to do? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Semper Fidelis
Keep them in the company arms room. Perhaps JAG could also offer some advice. Was a jarhead myself until I got force-fed a BCD for refusing anthrax vaccine back in 1999.

Back
Top Bottom