!!! ACTION ALERT ~~ ANTI 2A LEGISLATION ~~ ACTION NEEDED !!!!

Irony is Sudbury's ZIP is 01776 because they had the highest per capita of minuteman volunteers.

Now it's filled with lawyers, doctors and self absorbed new-rich. With this group comes tacky, bored, aggressive busybodies who have deep pockets and resources. At least Concord, Weston and the like have a tradition of old money civility, class and MYOFB.

Sudbury sucks...I grew up there.

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance but doesn't MA have a law on the books that prohibits individual towns enacting laws that contradict the laws that state has otherwise passed? Here in CT, for instance, a town like New Britain, CT can try to prohibit concealed carry or open carry but the laws of CT say it's perfectly legal so New Britain's local law is unenforceable. If you didn't have something like this in place one town could put toll booths up anywhere they wanted on the other town lines or require special driver's licenses or other absurd stuff. The towns can't institute stricter gun laws than their neighbors because here in CT all towns have to comply with the state regs, period. This has gone as far as instructing towns not to "add" additional requirement to the permit process. All 160 towns have to comply with the state process, nothing more.

This would certainly curtail some of your rogue towns from trying to enact punitive extra laws.

Rome

The towns can make up any bylaws they want, but they are not enforceable if they contradict state law. Mostly the towns control peoples' behavior via the zoning board...can't paint certain colors if in historic center, noise/lighting/parking rules, etc

The town "laws" fail...example: there was a town in the 80s, maybe in Kansas, that outlawed dancing after some kids died in a car crash after the prom. Long story short, a new guy moved into town and danced. It brought that law to a quick stop.

Wallhack - it has nothing to do with range. they're calling it a noise issue. it's a property dispute wrapped in a 2A fight.

*deleted - found an updated version and they cleared that up*

Aloha

Last edited:
The town "laws" fail...example: there was a town in the 80s, maybe in Kansas, that outlawed dancing after some kids died in a car crash after the prom. Long story short, a new guy moved into town and danced. It brought that law to a quick stop.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? dafuq? [laugh]

This actually happend twice. Once in 1984, and again in 2011.[grin]

Here's the original article in the Patch including comments by the author. Lots of Pro-2A comments, but I don't think that will mean much tonight/tomorrow/Wednesday.

Aloha

Amazing what happens when you actually read the bylaws. I've been informed that shooting of bb guns (anything "compressed air" actually) what against the bylaws. In reading the section of the bylaw referenced for this issue, I discovered that everyone (incl the lawyer that I checked with) missed the phrase "without written consent of owner." So I can have my kids shoot their Red Ryders in the backyard. :D

Aloha again

Last edited:
My next door neighbor in Sudbury shot BB guns in his backyard at bottles. He later worked as a Sudbury cop and is now an F-ingham cop.

BB guns were a non-issue in the 80s. This reeks of a few arrogant stay-at-home parents trying to make use of their law degrees.

The origin of the bylaw came out of the finance committee back in the 90's. The issue was the cost to DPW to replace signs that had been damaged by "kids" with bb guns and paintball guns.

Aloha

Have you seen the law in neighboring Marlborough?

[Amended 11-21-1988 by Ord. No. 88-2468A] It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or expose for sale, use or cause or permit to be used, an instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as "air rifle," "air gun" or ammunition therefor, "slingshot," "bean blower," "switchblade knife," "automatic knife," "push-button knife," "snap knife," "swingback knife" or "spring blade knife," "water pistol" or "air pistol," or any instrument or product designed to project a string or streamer of plastic material.

Cant even use a water gun.

Doug, I don't know much about the One Sudbury group, but it seems that not everyone supports the BS that's going on:

One Sudbury 2013 Guide to Town Meeting - Sudbury, MA Patch

Be sure to take a look at the attached document. Hope that's indicative of the general feeling on the item.
Yup...one pathetic weenie's issue with a neighbor is NOT town business.

Denied (sucka)!

On the other hand, "Ganja Zoning" (p.5) got a Yes vote.

...or "Silly String" if I read that right. [thinking]
You would be correct. I have seen the police take it from kids a the parade, ask what vendor it came from, and confiscate from vendor. The story I got was years ago during the parade it got all over the police cars and started removing the paint.

Yup...one pathetic weenie's issue with a neighbor is NOT town business.

Denied (sucka)!

On the other hand, "Ganja Zoning" (p.5) got a Yes vote.

Actually a yes vote = no (if i understand it correctly) (love how the actual name below became "ganja zoning"):

ARTICLE 30. AMEND ZONING BYLAW, TEMPORARY MORATORIUM ON MEDICAL

MARIJUANA TREATMENT CENTERS

To see if the Town will vote to amend the To
wn’s Zoning Bylaw by adding a new Section 8000
TEMPORARY MORATORIUM ON MEDICAL MARIJUANA TREATMENT CENTERS,

http://www.sudbury.ma.us/departments/Selectmen/doc8594/2013ATMWarrant_final.pdf

IIRC, Silly String may not be sold at one end of the Solomon Pond Mall, but may at the other, as it's a different town.....

[rolleyes]

Yes, localities can be more restrictive than the State (witness the different hunting/discharge laws from town to town), and this is a serious problem.

You would be correct. I have seen the police take it from kids a the parade, ask what vendor it came from, and confiscate from vendor. The story I got was years ago during the parade it got all over the police cars and started removing the paint.

I remember a huge thing that went down because they weren't allowing silly string in schools or something along those lines and people were asking if they were mental.

Law never went away.

Here's the original article in the Patch including comments by the author. Lots of Pro-2A comments, but I don't think that will mean much tonight/tomorrow/Wednesday.
For whatever it's worth, I put in my $0.04 to the Patch comments

Crappy excuse for journalism.

This has nothing to do with "saving the kids" or anti-gun agendas. It's just one crusader trying to use town bylaws to protect the value of his million dollar McMansion.

It's 5-6 homes built in '96 that were wedged in between a super-busy intersection and some woods.

He's complaining about the noise in the woods.

If I recall from away back then, Silly String was (is?) highly flammable and kids were getting burned when other kids sprayed it across lit birthday cakes as the propellant and string flared up napalm-like.

Or maybe it was an urban myth. Gonna go snopes it.

Just got the email. The Article was not discussed last night (it was number 38 out of 42). May be discussed tonight or tomorrow night.

If you are resident, please plan on being there.

Aloha

Just got the email. The Article was not discussed last night (it was number 38 out of 42). May be discussed tonight or tomorrow night.

If you are resident, please plan on being there.

Aloha
Doug or someone else (Deb?), can you please forward me the email detailing what happened so I can finish up an update to the It's Time list and make sure we get as many there as possible?

My screen name at gmail dot com.

Thanks in advance...

Back
Top Bottom