Acceptable defense handgun accuracy

What is acceptable accuracy for a self defense handgun either snub nose or not? I have heard so many different opinions from 2” groups at 15 yds. to 4” groups at 25yds. and so on. What do you guys use as your standard.

5 shots somewhere in the A zone of an IDPA target at 7 yards with a snub nose from a concealed draw.

The pistol itself is capable of much better accuracy. I am taking about MY accuracy with it under simulated stress.

Chest shots @ 5-7 yards is fine for a self defense /every day carry gun. I feel that any self defense situation will be within 20 feet, or it might be hard to prove to a jury it was really self defense.

5 shots somewhere in the A zone of an IDPA target at 7 yards with a snub nose from a concealed draw.

The pistol itself is capable of much better accuracy. I am taking about MY accuracy with it under simulated stress.

Chest shots @ 5-7 yards is fine for a self defense /every day carry gun. I feel that any self defense situation will be within 20 feet, or it might be hard to prove to a jury it was really self defense.

+1 to both
If you can hit a Torso with it consistently at 20 feet it's good to go. If you are outside more than 20 feet would be hard to justify self defense, and for home defense average rooms/hallways are 20ft or less from wall to wall (unless you live in a mansion).

I would not carry a gun/load combo that I could not place my shots consistently in 3" at 15 yards, firing no more than 2 seconds per shot. It is not a very high standard, but it defines my "comfort level" and I am pleased when I can do better.
There are so many variables that can affect your performance that an IDPA or simillar match might be a good way to evaluate your skill level and point out areas that need improvement. I am not a regular IDPA shooter but I did fire a couple of classifiers. I think that the level of "gamesmanship" in IDPA discouraged me from further involvement.
There is, of course, nothing that can replace regular short practice sessions with 100% concentration on the basics, including safety/muzzle control and ball-and-dummy drills to develope good, instinctive shooting skills.

The draw and first shot from a weapon is the most important part of an armed confrontation in my opinion, then shoot the threat until it stops being a threat.

In many cases you won't have the time to do a text book presentation of the weapon line up the sights, and get in perfect hits. When the SHTF getting the weapon out of the holster will be enough of a challenge, and hitting 2" groups at 15 yards will not be likely.

Most encounters are 3 - 5 yards. I practice speedy draws from concealment and shooting at that range while moving, along with regular "target" style practice.

IDPA is decent practice, and better than standing at a shooting bay, but take it for what it is - a game that offers an opportunity to train, but where there are still safety rules. In the real world, the rules won't apply.

Last edited:
How close will the target be when you recognize a threat? How fast can you draw? In reality, by the time you recognize a threat and draw, you're probably going to be shooting at a target almost off the end of your barrel.

Back
Top Bottom