Academy Sports will regret this.

Stores with “one size fits all” policies. Written by boards of directors and lawyers that have never stood behind a counter. And doing they will astounded when their loss / theft sky rockets once potential thieves hear about this. And also probably many employees leaving or doing nothing about thieves as the company does not support them.

Expect Academy to stop selling guns due to high thefts and law suits once guns start turning up in crimes and being sued for “allowing” thieves to steal guns and “doing nothing”.

With policies like this.. it surprising that some enterprising criminals don’t just ask to “see” a gun. Pull a couple of bullets from their pocket. Load the gun knowing the employee will do nothing then say.. ok give me everything I can see and everything in the registers too.

if I may, go off a bit....when I was at shot show in vegas in 2017, I was in a walgreens getting some toothpaste. regulars of vegas know walgreens' there are mega stores, not like the ones here, with 3 floors and the ground floor is a giant liquor store. my buddy sees a homeless, shaggy looking guy wearing an old school trench coat loading 4 bottles of grey goose into some inside pockets. my friend wanted to be crime dog and snagged an assistant manager to tell him the guy was ripping him off. I came around the corner and walked up the aisle when this was happening and didn't actually see the guy putting the bottles inside his coat but I did see the guy turn and walk towards the door, walking past the asst. mgr and my friend without a care in the world. the look on my buddys face was priceless. after, we talked and he said when he told the mgr what was happening the mgr said it was policy to not confront shoplifters, just let them leave. basicly the mgr just shrugged and said "whatta gonna do?" and he said the shoplifter didn't care if he was seen putting the bottles inside, people were shopping in the aisle while he did it. I would imagine everyone in the vicinity knew this and probably robbed them blind. so my friend, ever the wise ass told the manager he should just supply these guys bags so they don't ruin their clothes hauling away the stash.

if I may, go off a bit....when I was at shot show in vegas in 2017, I was in a walgreens getting some toothpaste. regulars of vegas know walgreens' there are mega stores, not like the ones here, with 3 floors and the ground floor is a giant liquor store. my buddy sees a homeless, shaggy looking guy wearing an old school trench coat loading 4 bottles of grey goose into some inside pockets. my friend wanted to be crime dog and snagged an assistant manager to tell him the guy was ripping him off. I came around the corner and walked up the aisle when this was happening and didn't actually see the guy putting the bottles inside his coat but I did see the guy turn and walk towards the door, walking past the asst. mgr and my friend without a care in the world. the look on my buddys face was priceless. after, we talked and he said when he told the mgr what was happening the mgr said it was policy to not confront shoplifters, just let them leave. basicly the mgr just shrugged and said "whatta gonna do?" and he said the shoplifter didn't care if he was seen putting the bottles inside, people were shopping in the aisle while he did it. I would imagine everyone in the vicinity knew this and probably robbed them blind. so my friend, ever the wise ass told the manager he should just supply these guys bags so they don't ruin their clothes hauling away the stash.

I doubt the employees care that much since it will just be deducted as a shrinkage expense on their financial reports.

Florida is different from MA since to license is required to buy a handgun, therefore, stores do not have a policy of requiring a deposit to look at one. When the Sports Authority sold handguns, it required that the clerk take custody of your LTC while you handled a gun. Florida stores could do the same thing with a driver's license for a client without a carry permit. In fact, FL residents without carry permits are at greater risk of grab & run from gun counters.

Sort of like Progressives and stupid government handouts. "Well, we know they are taking stuff they don't need, but it's best to just let them take it."

Hopefully this will make bigger news and someone decent will offer a good guy a better job.

Obviously the scumbag has rights. I'm sure a Mass. Judge would let him go unpunished since he was detained against his own free will. The poor thing, just as he was turning his life around planning on going to college. He probably was just stealing guns so he could rob people to raise money for his babies Mama and tuition.

I doubt the employees care that much since it will just be deducted as a shrinkage expense on their financial reports.

Sort of like Progressives and stupid government handouts. "Well, we know they are taking stuff they don't need, but it's best to just let them take it."
as a paying consumer who just plunked down 2.29 for a trial size tube of pepsodent, I felt differently while I waited in line to pay for it. I could have saved the 2.29 and 5 minutes of my time by just walking out with it.

Hopefully this will make bigger news and someone decent will offer a good guy a better job.

Obviously the scumbag has rights. I'm sure a Mass. Judge would let him go unpunished since he was detained against his own free will. The poor thing, just as he was turning his life around planning on going to college. He probably was just stealing guns so he could rob people to raise money for his babies Mama and tuition.
I blame the gun. [thinking]

The fat suits in the boardroom, insurance companies, and lawyers are to blame.
But I can't blame them, yes, it is a gun, but the broader picture is that shoplifters in general file assault and battery claims and false imprisonment claims, forcing the company and/or insurance to pay out many times what the merchandise is worth.
I think this case is special, because the guy could walk down the street and rob a bank or kill someone.

Most large chains have policies against employees perusing or otherwise interfering with a robbery. Right or wrong, the problem lies in what happens if the employee is injured during the interference? Will they then turn around and sue the employer saying they were put in harms way? Basically the loss on the robbery is less than the loss via lawyers. I would not be surprised if insurance companies had a say in this policy as well.

--- Update ---

See above, rather the same concept, i just took longer to type it.

Most large chains have policies against employees perusing or otherwise interfering with a robbery. Right or wrong, the problem lies in what happens if the employee is injured during the interference? Will they then turn around and sue the employer saying they were put in harms way? Basically the loss on the robbery is less than the loss via lawyers. I would not be surprised if insurance companies had a say in this policy as well.

But surely such a policy can be enforced in a less draconian way, especially since the incident suggests that their training with respect to the policy was inadequate (doubtful that the gun counter employee was aware that it applied in this instance, either). How about "The employee has been reprimanded, and we will be sending a memo to all of our employees to remind them and to clarify ..." But no, the employee gets fired. Seems not right.

as a paying consumer who just plunked down 2.29 for a trial size tube of pepsodent, I felt differently while I waited in line to pay for it. I could have saved the 2.29 and 5 minutes of my time by just walking out with it.

Yes, but you're too honest to steal it. You also had to pay more for the toothpaste to cover the cost of shrinkage, i.e., people stealing.

Like some have mentioned, this is a pretty common policy for large chain stores. My mom used to work part time at Kohls, and they have the same policy. Sales associates were not allowed to stop thieves, only the security guard could do that.

Still freaking stupid, though. This guy undoubtedly saved several lives by stopping this shitbag.

Like he would ever give money for the raising of his future criminals......that be what stupid taxpayer be for.

The employee should fund his expenses while unemployed by walking into that same store he worked at, and walk out with whatever he wants. If challenged, he has a great response, "Hey you cant stop me, you fired me for what you are doing now"

But surely such a policy can be enforced in a less draconian way, especially since the incident suggests that their training with respect to the policy was inadequate (doubtful that the gun counter employee was aware that it applied in this instance, either). How about "The employee has been reprimanded, and we will be sending a memo to all of our employees to remind them and to clarify ..." But no, the employee gets fired. Seems not right.

You are trying to mix lawyers with common sense. Stop that, you will make peoples heads explode.

Yes, but you're too honest to steal it. You also had to pay more for the toothpaste to cover the cost of shrinkage, i.e., people stealing.
Not necessarily. If the market would bear a $2.29 price in the absence of theft, the price would not be reduced if the theft lost disappeared.

Hmmm. I wonder if he passed a background check? [thinking]

jason-f-white-charges-leon-county-sheriff-s-office-1531354561.jpg

That is six kinds of f*cked up.
I hope someone sees this and hires the guy at a far better pay grade than that dump.
You are part of why this country is a mess Academy .

One of us should design an anti theft device that shocks and paralyses scumbags with a push of a button. Kinda like a metal detector, but delivers 10000 volts. Push a button and the thief is zapped like a moth in a bug zapper. Then stand around a laugh as the perp pisses and shits in his pants.

Back
Top Bottom