1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Academy Sports will regret this.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joseph, Jul 12, 2018.

1. joseph

joseph

2. Lokdog

Lokdog

When a criminal is in the middle of commiting a felony, how does he/she still retain the rights to not have physical obstruction of said crime? I don't care if it's company policy or not. I hope this country can still be saved. I really do.

Admin, LLF, jerryhipp and 1 other person like this.
  3. EJFudd

EJFudd

Shame on Academy. And here I thought they were decent, intelligent folks. Guess not. [thinking]

4. DispositionMatrix

DispositionMatrix NES Member

"Academy Sports will regret this."

I doubt it.

xjma99 likes this.
  5. seanc

seanc NES Member

Stores with “one size fits all” policies. Written by boards of directors and lawyers that have never stood behind a counter. And doing they will astounded when their loss / theft sky rockets once potential thieves hear about this. And also probably many employees leaving or doing nothing about thieves as the company does not support them.

Expect Academy to stop selling guns due to high thefts and law suits once guns start turning up in crimes and being sued for “allowing” thieves to steal guns and “doing nothing”.

Lip likes this.
  6. seanc

seanc NES Member

With policies like this.. it surprising that some enterprising criminals don’t just ask to “see” a gun. Pull a couple of bullets from their pocket. Load the gun knowing the employee will do nothing then say.. ok give me everything I can see and everything in the registers too.

xjma99 and fencer like this.
  7. fencer

fencer NES Member

You probably just started a new crime trend. This is why we can't have nice things cuz seanc f***s it up for everybody! [laugh] But it does kind of remind me of this....

45collector likes this.
  8. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

if I may, go off a bit....when I was at shot show in vegas in 2017, I was in a walgreens getting some toothpaste. regulars of vegas know walgreens' there are mega stores, not like the ones here, with 3 floors and the ground floor is a giant liquor store. my buddy sees a homeless, shaggy looking guy wearing an old school trench coat loading 4 bottles of grey goose into some inside pockets. my friend wanted to be crime dog and snagged an assistant manager to tell him the guy was ripping him off. I came around the corner and walked up the aisle when this was happening and didn't actually see the guy putting the bottles inside his coat but I did see the guy turn and walk towards the door, walking past the asst. mgr and my friend without a care in the world. the look on my buddys face was priceless. after, we talked and he said when he told the mgr what was happening the mgr said it was policy to not confront shoplifters, just let them leave. basicly the mgr just shrugged and said "whatta gonna do?" and he said the shoplifter didn't care if he was seen putting the bottles inside, people were shopping in the aisle while he did it. I would imagine everyone in the vicinity knew this and probably robbed them blind. so my friend, ever the wise ass told the manager he should just supply these guys bags so they don't ruin their clothes hauling away the stash.

9. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

What would the legal ramifications have been to Academy Sports if the thief had knowingly gotten away with the gun and killed someone?

10. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

I doubt the employees care that much since it will just be deducted as a shrinkage expense on their financial reports.

greencobra likes this.
  11. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

Florida is different from MA since to license is required to buy a handgun, therefore, stores do not have a policy of requiring a deposit to look at one. When the Sports Authority sold handguns, it required that the clerk take custody of your LTC while you handled a gun. Florida stores could do the same thing with a driver's license for a client without a carry permit. In fact, FL residents without carry permits are at greater risk of grab & run from gun counters.

12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Sort of like Progressives and stupid government handouts. "Well, we know they are taking stuff they don't need, but it's best to just let them take it."

Nick Fury and greencobra like this.
  13. jaypap

jaypap NES Member

Hopefully this will make bigger news and someone decent will offer a good guy a better job.

Obviously the scumbag has rights. I'm sure a Mass. Judge would let him go unpunished since he was detained against his own free will. The poor thing, just as he was turning his life around planning on going to college. He probably was just stealing guns so he could rob people to raise money for his babies Mama and tuition.

greencobra likes this.
  14. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

as a paying consumer who just plunked down 2.29 for a trial size tube of pepsodent, I felt differently while I waited in line to pay for it. I could have saved the 2.29 and 5 minutes of my time by just walking out with it.

Glockster30 likes this.
  15. EJFudd

EJFudd

I blame the gun. [thinking]

16. snax

snax NES Member

The fat suits in the boardroom, insurance companies, and lawyers are to blame.
    But I can't blame them, yes, it is a gun, but the broader picture is that shoplifters in general file assault and battery claims and false imprisonment claims, forcing the company and/or insurance to pay out many times what the merchandise is worth.
    I think this case is special, because the guy could walk down the street and rob a bank or kill someone.

RedLeaf19 likes this.
  17. Noreaster78

Noreaster78 NES Member

Most large chains have policies against employees perusing or otherwise interfering with a robbery. Right or wrong, the problem lies in what happens if the employee is injured during the interference? Will they then turn around and sue the employer saying they were put in harms way? Basically the loss on the robbery is less than the loss via lawyers. I would not be surprised if insurance companies had a say in this policy as well.

--- Update ---

See above, rather the same concept, i just took longer to type it.

18. meh

meh NES Member

But surely such a policy can be enforced in a less draconian way, especially since the incident suggests that their training with respect to the policy was inadequate (doubtful that the gun counter employee was aware that it applied in this instance, either). How about "The employee has been reprimanded, and we will be sending a memo to all of our employees to remind them and to clarify ..." But no, the employee gets fired. Seems not right.

19. Glockster30

Glockster30 NES Member

Yes, but you're too honest to steal it. You also had to pay more for the toothpaste to cover the cost of shrinkage, i.e., people stealing.

greencobra likes this.
  20. amm5061

amm5061 NES Member

Like some have mentioned, this is a pretty common policy for large chain stores. My mom used to work part time at Kohls, and they have the same policy. Sales associates were not allowed to stop thieves, only the security guard could do that.

Still freaking stupid, though. This guy undoubtedly saved several lives by stopping this shitbag.

21. Daniel MacDonald

Daniel MacDonald

Like he would ever give money for the raising of his future criminals......that be what stupid taxpayer be for.

22. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

The employee should fund his expenses while unemployed by walking into that same store he worked at, and walk out with whatever he wants. If challenged, he has a great response, "Hey you cant stop me, you fired me for what you are doing now"

23. Noreaster78

Noreaster78 NES Member

You are trying to mix lawyers with common sense. Stop that, you will make peoples heads explode.

24. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

Not necessarily. If the market would bear a $2.29 price in the absence of theft, the price would not be reduced if the theft lost disappeared.

25. EJFudd

EJFudd

Hmmm. I wonder if he passed a background check? [thinking]

[​IMG]

26. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    How long before the rash of thefts begins since it’s clear they won’t try to stop you?

27. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

That is six kinds of f*cked up.
    I hope someone sees this and hires the guy at a far better pay grade than that dump.
    You are part of why this country is a mess Academy .

LLF and AHM like this.
  28. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain

*shakes fist angrily at screen

29. fencer

fencer NES Member

One of us should design an anti theft device that shocks and paralyses scumbags with a push of a button. Kinda like a metal detector, but delivers 10000 volts. Push a button and the thief is zapped like a moth in a bug zapper. Then stand around a laugh as the perp pisses and shits in his pants.

Maddawg1952 and Roland Deschain like this.
  30. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

White guy attacks black.

Thats your answer.

Frizzle Fry likes this.