Aaaahhhh! "Well c'mon on down, what are you doing?"

I just called to schedule an appt for my gun licensing.
The guy said "Can you be here in 15 minutes?"
I said "What? Aaahhhh?"
He said "Are you working?"
I said "No, I'm home."
He said "Well, then what are you doing? C'mon down!"

Aaagagggghhhhhhh!
I still need to get the money order!!

You go girl!

Had two friends take Scouter Rick's class yesterday and they put in their application this morning. Pictures & prints taken and they are really thrilled. I took them shooting on Saturday and they had a blast.

Best of luck with your license!

Cheers,

Rcih

15 min, no money order and you're telling us on here before running out... now that's dedication [smile]

on another note, I gave them cash, so that works too.

Update on applying - and questions

I had to print out my letter to the chief with reasons why I wanted an unrestricted, too! I just rushed around and grabbed everything and ran out the door.
Walthams rules are as follows:
A $100.00 BANK CHECK or MONEY ORDER made payable to the City of Waltham. No Cash will be accepted.

o First time pepper spray applicants pay $25

o Renewals for pepper spray are free

o LTC/FID Renewals for applicants 70 years of age or older are free

· Massachusetts driver’s license (must have a Waltham address)

So I had stopped at the bank to get the money order. The licensing officer didn't ask for my Mass drivers license. There was a cop in the room who used to be my brothers best friend, so he's known me for 20 years. Didn't help me at all, though (I'd hoped if anything that would get me an unrestricted, but I guess Waltham just sucks no matter what).
I brought in a filled out application, and under reason of issuance I wrote "all lawful purposes". Licensing officer told me straight out "We don't issue unrestricted for first timers. When you're up for renewal if there's been no issues, you can get all lawful purposes. That alright with you?"
WTF? What was I supposed to say? So I said "I'll take what I can get."
I hope I won't come to regret that, but I really didn't see that there was anything I could say that would make him say "Okay lady, you're getting an unrestricted now! Good answer!"

Two things that bother me - he retyped my application and then printed out a copy for me. He typed in my work number as my home phone number. Should I call and tell him to correct that?
Also - I wrote all lawful purposes under reason for issuance, when he typed it up he filled in target and hunting.
Is that illegal? I have no proof that I wrote all lawful purposes since he took my original application (as well as my Pistol safety course certificate! Rick, can I get another one? I didn't have time to make a copy of it and I think he thought it was already a copy).
Whole thing took maybe 45 minutes. Most of that was trying to get the 3rd electronic fingerprint. He told me if I don't hear from him in 21 days, to call and check on the status.
Any suggestions? Did I do anything wrong? Or did I bend over and take it like I'm supposed to?

Also - I wrote all lawful purposes under reason for issuance, when he typed it up he filled in target and hunting.

Wonderful... There is no reason he should have typed up an application for you. Looks like their way of issuing T&H without looking like the bad guy. Typical MA b.s.

Becka,

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you another certificate.

Please make sure to tell me exactly how your name appeared on the one you gave the officer so I duplicate it for you.

-Rick

Wonderful... There is no reason he should have typed up an application for you. Looks like their way of issuing T&H without looking like the bad guy. Typical MA b.s.

Derek, they have to type it all into MIRCS now, so yes they do have to type everything you gave them on paper into the computer.

One MUST be VERY CAREFUL BEFORE SIGNING to review it for any errors, as the APPLICANT can be held responsible for perjury . . . not the officer/clerk who typed it!

ALWAYS bring copies of everything (make them in advance of any appointments, expected or not) and bring a spare copy of your hand-written application for review against the computer-generated copy before signing. [If you have a scanner but not a copier, scan docs and then print them out.]

[Above posted as info for future, NOT intended as criticism of anybody.]

Derek, they have to type it all into MIRCS now, so yes they do have to type everything you gave them on paper into the computer.

I thought re-typing the application and entering it in to MIRCS were two different things.

Regardless, she isn't going to get ALP with the departments licensing policies any way. Wonderful logic they are using too. Fudds... [thinking]

He kept hold of everything he'd typed up and only gave me the page to sign. Then once I signed it, he stapled my copy together with the receipt for my money order and I was all set.
I fully intended on making copies of everything - I figured I'd have time. I did not count on the officer telling me to come down ASAP.
What he gave me was a typed version of the application I filled out - form FA 25/26.
He didn't completely fill it out, either - didn't include my employment into, my parents names...
I think it's all sketchy.

Last edited:
I think you did just fine on short notice, and it doesn't sound like anything you could have done would have gotten you an ALP anyway. Sorry to hear they plan to restrict your "rights", but happy to see another citizen taking the steps toward becoming a responsible firearms owner.

I thought re-typing the application and entering it in to MIRCS were two different things.

Regardless, she isn't going to get ALP with the departments licensing policies any way. Wonderful logic they are using too. Fudds... [thinking]

The FA25/26 (the old paper form we used for years) is now computerized and called MIRCS. So they are re-typing the responses to the questions from either a verbal interview or the applicant's written form.

Mistakes can be made that can bite the applicant (signatory on the form). Found that out on my Wife's last renewal, when clerk got "creative" and added info we didn't want there. [angry]

I updated my status on Facebook and some of my friends are asking why a restricted license matters. "What else do you want to shoot?"
Arrrrrggghh. Now I have to try to explain it all to them.
Simply because my friend Amy and I live in different towns, she has an unrestricted and mine will be restricted. Growl.

After you have had you license for a few months go back and talk with officer Gormley and 9 out of 10 times they will have your restriction changed to none. They have always done this unless you are/were in the service.

Jayvs

I am very confused. I thought this was America.

In Novermber, after you know what. I submitted an application for ALP. After three weeks I was called to let me know the course from 94 was no good, and they do not give unrestricted class A the first time even though I am a business owner. I took a new course, and handed in a new application 12/10/08. Last week I emailed the officer in charge of liscencing. Still no fingerprints, no call into station ect. He did respond to my email appologizing for the delay.

Two things that bother me - he retyped my application and then printed out a copy for me. He typed in my work number as my home phone number. Should I call and tell him to correct that?
Is that illegal? I have no proof that I wrote all lawful purposes since he took my original application (as well as my Pistol safety course certificate! Rick, can I get another one? I didn't have time to make a copy of it and I think he thought it was already a copy).
Whole thing took maybe 45 minutes. Most of that was trying to get the 3rd electronic fingerprint. He told me if I don't hear from him in 21 days, to call and check on the status.
Any suggestions? Did I do anything wrong? Or did I bend over and take it like I'm supposed to?

When I had my interview/fingerprinting in Weymouth they did the same thing. I put ALP on the application, he typed it it in Hunting and Target. Shouldnt they have to put it in as whats on the application even if there is no chance of that being what is on the License?

When I did mine evrything was done on a computer. The issuing Officer asked me the questions, I answered he had me review and that was that. Waltham must still be in the stone age.

I think everything WAS on the computer, he just did it without me there. He took the paper application I had filled out, and entered it (well, the parts he wanted to enter - the "completed" one he gave me afterwards doesn't have my parents names on it, nor my employment info) while I was sitting outside the office.
I think the reason he entered it as "hunting/target" is because whatever the local PD puts down in that spot is how it will be issued. I'm guessing on that...otherwise, why not just enter what I actually wrote down?
*kicks chair* It all makes me so angry.
And I have so many questions. This is still a class A, though it's restricted to target and hunting. So what exactly does it restrict me to? That I can't carry concealed? That I must have it locked in the trunk while transporting it?
It should just be class A license to carry concealed - or class B, you can posess large capacity but not carry concealed, or class C - you can only posess non-large capacity weapons and cannot carry them concealed.
or am I misunderstanding something (ignoring my own classifications).

I think everything WAS on the computer, he just did it without me there. He took the paper application I had filled out, and entered it (well, the parts he wanted to enter - the "completed" one he gave me afterwards doesn't have my parents names on it, nor my employment info) while I was sitting outside the office.
I think the reason he entered it as "hunting/target" is because whatever the local PD puts down in that spot is how it will be issued. I'm guessing on that...otherwise, why not just enter what I actually wrote down?
*kicks chair* It all makes me so angry.
And I have so many questions. This is still a class A, though it's restricted to target and hunting. So what exactly does it restrict me to? That I can't carry concealed? That I must have it locked in the trunk while transporting it?
It should just be class A license to carry concealed - or class B, you can posess large capacity but not carry concealed, or class C - you can only posess non-large capacity weapons and cannot carry them concealed.
or am I misunderstanding something (ignoring my own classifications).

Class A target and hunting means you cant carry concealed (some will argue that you can carry concealed to and from hunting and target, but thats your decision, most will say transport it locked up and unloaded) The penalty for ignoring the restriction is a $1,000 to 10,000 fine.

Back
Top Bottom