A New Twist on Liquor Licenses

Knob Creek

NES Member
Marc Folco the Outdoor Writer for the Standard Times reveals what a Liquor License would be like if patterned after a gun license:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090823/SPORTS/908230374/-1/SPORTS0707

Open Season: A new twist on the liquor license:

It's obvious that we need liquor control more than gun control, so let's treat alcohol and alcohol consumers — including myself, a social drinker — the same as we treat guns and gun owners. From now on, you'll need a license to buy and/or consume alcohol and it will cost you $100, renewable every six years. Before your license is issued, you will undergo an extensive background check, get fingerprinted and photographed and take a safety course that stresses the dangers of drinking, alcoholism and drunk driving. Balk at that? It's the same fee and procedure as for a gun license.

The background check is to see if you have prior convictions of drunk driving (DUI) or if you've been treated for alcoholism. If you have, you will be denied a License to Purchase and Possess Alcohol (LPPA). Also, if you've ever been convicted of a crime that was punishable by a two-year jail term (whether or not you served time), no license for you. Those buying liquor stronger than 80 proof will be required to apply for a Hard-Capacity LPPA.

Upon entering a liquor store, you will be required to present your LPPA and you'll be limited to one case of beer, four regular size bottles of wine (or two big ones), and a fifth of hard liquor per month. And come back in a week to pick it up. Don't forget about that seven-day waiting period. All purchases will be logged into a national computer database, so you can't jump from store to store or even state to state.

If you try to buy more liquor than your monthly quota, the computer will flag it and your license will be revoked and you will pay a heavy fine and serve jail time on the assumption that you are conducting illegal "straw purchases" for drunks, unlicensed persons and kids. It's the reason some politicians want to limit us hunters and shooters to buying one gun a month — they blame us for reselling them to gangbangers to kill their rival "colors" with.

Every liquor container will bear a serial number that will be recorded at the sale. If it later ends up in the hands of a minor, a drunk, an unlicensed person — or at the scene of a deadly crash, it can be traced back to the purchaser. Fingerprinting will further aid in tracking and identifying who had their hands on the booze.

You also will be required to present your LPPA when ordering an alcoholic beverage at a restaurant or bar. After ordering, you will be logged into the computer database and allowed the equivalent of one ounce of alcohol every two hours. This will prevent anyone from driving drunk or buzzed.

If you're having a private party, a special permit must be obtained and you must list the number of people attending and the quantity of liquor to be distributed. A police officer must be present to monitor those consuming alcohol and will conduct a sobriety test on each person leaving said party.

If you are ever caught driving intoxicated, endangering others while intoxicated, in illegal possession of alcohol without a license, or supplying alcohol to minors or unlicensed persons, you will go to jail and all future LPPA privileges will be denied forever.

Liquor over 80 proof must be locked in a case or in the trunk of your vehicle while transporting it. Beer, wine and 80-proof liquor or less must be in a locked case while unattended in a vehicle. In the home, all alcohol must be stored in a locked cabinet. If it's not locked, you will pay a fine and go to jail. If it's not locked with anyone under 21 in the home, the fine and jail term will be much greater. This will curb underage drinking and will prevent drunks from breaking in and stealing your hooch. It also will stop bootleggers from stealing your booze and re-selling it on the street.

In the event that these new liquor laws don't work and somebody ends up dead due a drunk driver, the family will be able to sue the brewery, winery or distiller for the criminal misuse of a legal product, just like they try to do with gun manufacturers.

It all sounds crazy doesn't it? Like a bad dream. But I'm not making any of this up. These are some of the same stupid laws that we have to follow — and some that are being proposed — for legal gun ownership. Now you know how we feel.

Unfortunately it still won't make a difference to the Anti's...As well written as that article is they will still say that nobody should have guns period.

I'm a member of DAMM

Drunks Against Mad Mothers

I don't condone drunk driving, but MADD is one group I have no love for. How many people have had their 2A rights stripped because of MADD's work to get the penalty for DWI up to 2.5 years.

I'm a member of DAMM

Drunks Against Mad Mothers

I don't condone drunk driving, but MADD is one group I have no love for. How many people have had their 2A rights stripped because of MADD's work to get the penalty for DWI up to 2.5 years.

Good point to a degree but people should just not drive drunk kinda falls under the stupid games stupid prizes thing.

Just to clarify I have always thought that if you go to jail for a crime and can't be trusted to have all your rights restored when you get out then you probably shouldn't be let out(please if your going to flame understand I am talking about an ideal scenario here - not the way things currently work).

He should have included a penalty for the possession of empty liquor containers, since they could be refilled.

Sort of like possessing ammunition components in the PRM...[sad]

Also don't forget, if you're in a public place and have an unopened container of alcohol with you, it must be fully secured and concealed at all times. People may become scared that you might drink in public and call the police and try to have you arrested, or worse label you a possible terrorist.

Obvious satire but somewhere, a bureaucrat is thinking.... "Hey, that might work !"

Satire? Are you serious? No. They are serious. It has been proposed several times by various individuals including the President of Middlebury College!

Back
Top Bottom