A gun you're about to give up on?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm thinking everyone has "that" gun in their collection. One that you vowed to fix, clean up, get working properly, etc. and for whatever reason it's just not happening and your tired of trying. So the gun sits in the back of the safe with a vague thought that you'll get to it sometime down the road when you have some spare time. If so, what gun is it and what's problem.

For me it's a Chinese T53 (Mosin M44 Clone) in a Archangel stock. The T53 was a wreak when I got it. The outside appearance was, well, it looked like it went through hell and back. The stock was a complete loss and the metal was in dire need of some TLC. The only good things were that the rifling was good and the bolt/trigger functioned properly. So I purchased an Archangel stock for it, sanded down the metal and refinished it with Brownell's DuraHyde. It came out looking very good.

It still had a big problem though. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I was shooting at a target at 50 yards, then to 25 yards and I was barely hitting the cardboard that held the target. Also the round hits were not repeatable as they spread all over the place. After several tweaks and range trips I gave up and into the safe it went. That was last year. So yesterday comes around and it's beautiful out so I make a pac with myself that I was going to fix that damn rifle or I was going to smash it. So off to the range yesterday I went armed with a number of tweaks and fixes I pulled from the internet.

After 2 plus hours, and many rounds, my shoulder was starting to get sore and I was in no better luck. The last thing to try was installing a weird little buffer in the stock that supports the rifle bbl. The buffer ha a screw you can tighten or loosen it necessary, which changes the pressure the buffer has on the bbl. Everything I had read indicated you didn't need it with the Mosin and installing it would cause accuracy problems. So as a last and final attempt I ignored that information, from the Archangel folks no less, and installed it.

After I installed it accuracy improved a little, but not a lot. Over the next hour I tweaked the tightness and to my amazement I tightened up the groups considerably. At the end I hit a water bottle at 100 yards!! Some locktight and a few more shots proved I was dialed in. It's not a MOA type rifle but it's what I would call Accuracy of Man, which is probably the best I can hope for. At least now I'm happy with it.

That is until the next project gun comes around.........

get-attachment_zps22cea9a7.jpg

Awesome you got it running right. Mine is a single shot stevens 12 guage. I need to find a spring for the hammer. I searched for it and cant find it. The current spring doesnt hit hard enough. Of course i found this out after i full restored it cosmetically.

Mine was a Walther P22

Got is used for cheap. Total disassembled and cleaned a few different times, replaced all the springs, tried every ammo under the sun. Sold it for what I paid with full disclosure that the thing never got off more than two rounds in a row.

Mine was a Walther P22

Got is used for cheap. Total disassembled and cleaned a few different times, replaced all the springs, tried every ammo under the sun. Sold it for what I paid with full disclosure that the thing never got off more than two rounds in a row.

Ya i remember your ad. " total cream puff p22 for sale. Great for ccw. Trust this gun." Something to that effect right?[rofl]

For me it was a Vepr in 7.62x54r with 16" barrel.

I just didn't have the ambition to work with it and make it look the way it should and tried to sell it here for weeks. Now, thanks to the AG's no transfer talk, I'll be going forward with the conversion and turn it into an AKM style flame throwing, hard hitting beast.

Mine was a Walther P22

You need to absolutely drench it in lube.

Awesome you got it running right. Mine is a single shot stevens 12 guage. I need to find a spring for the hammer. I searched for it and cant find it. The current spring doesnt hit hard enough. Of course i found this out after i full restored it cosmetically.

Try Numrich. They seem to have every obscure firearm part you can dream up. (Even had magazines for the Winchester 100)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I had a sig mosquito, I fixed it, I sold it.

However, your post made me want to play with a T53 mosin. Thanx, thanx.

Yeah, for me it's my 22/45 that's still in my safe. I did clean and reassembled it a couple times. But the last time, about six months ago, I just could not get it back together right. So its been sitting in my safe. I am thinking of trading it. I am just tired of dealing with it.

I gave up on the Auto-Ord 1911 after trying every ammo, mag, and cleaning conceivable. no, I didn't change the springs, et al, or send it back, which is what I should have done. but when the finish started coming off right before my very eyes I had to dump it at nearest dealer for trade in. I bought it for 400 and sold it for 300. I was hoping a local gun manufacturer would make good.

Mine is the spanish Mauser I have listed for trade on here. Got it a while ago thinking replacing the barrel would be a fun project. It's just sat in my safe since.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I have a soft spot for tossed aside rifles.
K98 on and off again but finally got it shooting pretty good.
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-hope-for-a-dark-bore-K98?highlight=Dark+bore

Then there is my Mosin....it's getting better

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...n-squeeze-out-of-it?highlight=Mosin+revisited

The archangle stocks from my first look are not exactly the best fitted stock .

You might even be better off glass bedding the AA stock and support the barrel.

Pressure on the barrel is nothing new for accuracy.
Springfield, Enfield , mausers all seem to have a few lbs of upward pressure near the muzzle end

Rockrivr1 - we the people with inaccurate Mosin carbines require more information on what you did to yours.

For me it was a Remington R1 1911. It had some really sharp edges that cut up my hand and drew blood within 100 rounds. It had all sorts of failures with stock mags and even with WC and Chip mags. Ended up selling it here because I'm just not in the fan boy club that likes to tweak 1911s and fine tune them.

Barretta 950, .25 at 10 feet your lucky if 1 round hits paper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Barretta 950, .25 at 10 feet your lucky if 1 round hits paper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I'll give you $100 for it :)

My grandfather had and carried a 25 when he was young. Said it couldn't hit a coffee can fifteen feet away. One day I'll pick up a 25 in memory of him.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

This thread reminded me of my current issue.

Ruger SR9 (full size) with the earlier brutal trigger. Bought the Ghost connector but realized that I had to file off (evenly) the tab to get the right pull and I don't have the tools or skill to do it evenly. I had asked Greg Derr to do it but he refused to work on it, so it sits. This reminded me to ask Tim.

Finally gave up on my P250 after much thought, trial, and error. Was never truly happy with it, even after getting used to the trigger, which required lots of drills using alternating snap caps/live rounds and whatever. Picking up a P229 tomorrow.

For me it is my Para Warthog. it is a fun gun to shoot and pretty accurate when I can get it to feed a round. I have put a lot of time into it and tried every type of ammo I could find and make. I probably should bring it to one of the smiths that specialize in 1911 style guns.

The think that is really odd it it will feed snap caps all day long with no issues.
I should have returned it when I first bought it by I was certain I would be able to resolve the issue. Now it just sits in the safe. I paid a good amount of money for it.

I had a Colt Ace back in the early 90's that I could not get to shoot more than a magazine without it effing up (It had to do with the floating chamber).

I finally gave up on it and traded it for a Ruger Super Redhawk ,44 mag w/6" barrel. It was a beautiful gun but at the time I had it I wasn't reloading so and it was, even then, expensive to shoot. Plus, I never really got the hang of shooting it accurately. I ended up selling it to my brother who still has it and has gotten several deer with it.

Last edited:
An old Savage model 219. Single shot in 30-30
My dad had a junk pile in the old workshop of Misc. crap gun parts , old barrels , stocks ect.
My brother was cleaning out some of it and came across it .
He called me and said he found a complete rifle, come check it out.
The wood had mold on it and the metal was covered in surface rust, but surprisingly the bore was pristine and so were the internals when I pulled it apart.
Someone must have oiled the hell out of it.
Just for a lark I cleaned it up and took it down the range.
50 yards, bullseye, bullseye , bullseye. Never touched the sights.
Sent the barrel off to Rust Blue Gunsmithing and he Carakoted it.
Came back looking sharp a as hell.
Still haven't redone the wood yet but maybe this winter.

I have a Springfield 1911 that is one of my favorite guns, but it only chambers one type of ammo reliably, due to the previous owner's attempt at DIY gunsmithing to get it to chamber hollowpoints.

It has failures to feed even with ball ammo, I love the gun but it sits unused because I don't trust it with my life. I'd love to have a ramped barrel installed but I've just never got around to it.

P22 couldn't take the guy's $ fast enough.
"THOUGHT" I wanted a STAR MODEL B but after tearing it apart a couple times and Searching for an Extractor to finally find one and it got more FTE's than Before....BYE BYE [crying]

Back
Top Bottom