a few 1911 questions?

If you had to adjust the extractor so that you could run a C-more, then there was an issue with the extractor in the first place. Ejection angle is dictated by the ejector face when you have proper tension. You could also run a different dot and mount that is clear of the ejection port. either a Cheely or Quin 90 degree mount for the C-more or a Jpoint style dot on an JV Dynamics or Arredondo mount

Yes there is a problem with the extractor. it's a POS. When set by the factory on all s$w 1911 they throw sort of high, more straight up than out the side of the gun. The tension could be a bit tighter but this is impossible due to the external extractor....I have talked or conversed with quite a few s&w 1911 shooters that have this same problem....I went to a mount that left me some clearance between the sight allowing the one or two ( range brass does not help this either)out of 100 not get caught up in the slide....I was familiar with the 90 degree mounts but my first attempt was with a serendipity leaving me mounting holes on both sides of the gun. so I bought a non drilled mounts I could match the mounting hole I already had. I also converted the serendipity to a rail mount and used it on the weagland mount I bought. I like the Smith but would never buy one again due to that external extractor. The only way to tighten one up is with the spring that puts tension on it and I have not found in all my attempts a spring that would fit or work. If I knew of this problem ahead of time the Quinn would have been my choice or I would have put the dot on one of my baer's. This gun is dedicated to shooting pins so the extra height the dot is off the center of the bore does not effect my shooting but if I was to do shoots with targets at different distances it would be a PIA. BTW I installed one of the new sts sights on my CZ 75 for shooting steel plates, we will see if it holds up because I mounted it to the slide. The reason for the c-more is that I shoot pins and in full sunlight, most others including the jpoint gets washed out on clear days. The older I get the more "stuff" I got to do to see the damn targets. :O

Last edited:
The reason for the c-more is that I shoot pins and in full sunlight, most others including the jpoint gets washed out on clear days. The older I get the more "stuff" I got to do to see the damn targets. :O

Using 2 2016 batteries in the Jpoint will keep it from washing out.

its when the slide is not completely closed and the upper lugs are not engaged to the slide The disconnect is still down, preventing the trigger from moving the sear. The gun won't fire.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 14
No, that is not correct. The S&W 1911 uses a Swartz style firing pin safety. So does Kimber II. ParaOrdnance and SIG GSR use the Series 80 style, trigger operated firing pin safety.

It's important to note that not all Kimbers use that setup. Some of them are Series 70 style. The only way to tell is to look.

-Mike

It's important to note that not all Kimbers use that setup. Some of them are Series 70 style. The only way to tell is to look.
When they first came out, they were Series 70 style lockwork (I've got 3 of them). Then Kimber came out with the Series II, which have the Swartz-style safety. In recent years, they've made some special editions without the Swartz-style safety. But I believe the bulk of their new production has the safety.

Back
Top Bottom