A felon

Okay - I know that a convicted felon cannot, under federal law, possess a gun. However, MA, in it's infinite idiot laws, allows certain felons to get an FID card if they've kept their nose clean for 5 years. That being said - I had a call tonight from someone looking for a class. In talking with him, he told me that he was convicted of a drug felony 20 some odd years ago. He, and his cousin (who was also convicted with him) contacted the AG's office and they sent him the guidelines for getting an FID. He kept insisting that he had gotten info and wouldn't listen to what I told him, so I gave him GOAL's number to call tomrrow to get the facts since he didn't want to listen to me....

Anyway...Ed's and my question is this - MA law not withstanding, IF I take him on as a student for a HFS course, and I place an unloaded rifle in his hands for him to "make it safe" to show me he understands what I'm showing him, are WE breaking the law?? I know federal law states he cannot be in possession of one, but I'm just handing the rifle to him to hold, so....is that possession? Or is this one of those gray areas that is going to give me a headache?

Lynne, I would NOT do it! I suspect that you might be setting yourself up for criminal charges, especially since you know he's a prohibited person and the charge for him is Federal!

I'd run away from him very very fast!

Also, you probably should create an application form for training asking if the applicant has ever been convicted of a crime, felony, 209A, etc. just to cover your butt!

Thanks Len. As much as I feel bad for the guy now being unable to have his rights restored, and, as much as I like to be civilly disobedient at times, I really don't want to mess around with Fed laws. Neither Ed nor I were comfie with this one.

If, after he calls Nancy, he still wants to do it and calls me back, I'm gonna tell him to find someone else. Doing that will be his problem.

Lynne,

I'd also give a "heads up" to all the other instructors in your area, just in case he "forgets" to mention the felony to the next person he calls.

turkey870 said:
Thanks for not giving a convicted drug felon firearms training. :D

Since it was over 20 years ago (he was in his early 20's), it was probably a stupid mistake. And in that respect, I feel bad for him. However, no need to thank me - I cherish my rights too much. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom