• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A day that will live in infamy

When I was a kid, it seemed that everyone's dad had served in WW2. Besides my own Dad in the USAAF, I had an aunt in the waves and four uncles who served. (one more in Korea).
Even the janitors in my high school were WW2 vets. When I started working in the mid 1970s, once in a while the WW2 vets I worked with would say something about a guy who was a machinist in war production during the war and didn't serve in uniform.
I liked asking guys what they did in the war. One guy frankly told me "I was a goldbrick." (an expression you don't hear nowadays.)

When I was a kid, it seemed that everyone's dad had served in WW2. Besides my own Dad in the USAAF, I had an aunt in the waves and four uncles who served. (one more in Korea).
Even the janitors in my high school were WW2 vets. When I started working in the mid 1970s, once in a while the WW2 vets I worked with would say something about a guy who was a machinist in war production during the war and didn't serve in uniform.
I liked asking guys what they did in the war. One guy frankly told me "I was a goldbrick." (an expression you don't hear nowadays.)
My paternal grandfather was a machinist but he had health issues that would not let him join the military. He worked serious hours in a machine shop in the Worcester area during the war though and was proud that he could help. For the life of me, I can't remember what shop...I used to know. It was a tool and die shop. They made lots of stuff for the war effort. He really wished he could've served in the .mil but he told me supplying machined parts was a good way to help.

I am always amazed when I read the Medal of Honor citations. From a soldier of the 442nd. That’s patriotism, to enlist to defend a country that imprisons you because of your race.

His official Medal of Honor citation reads:
You can always look back and criticize what was done. At the time, people thought it was the right thing to do. Now we know better. You can never know what was in a person's mind or heart. People were afraid. They did what they thought was best. They didn't just lock up japanese, it was all asians. Don't judge people by what they did in the past.

A recent poll showed that 72% of Americans would not be willing to fight for America.
They say that today, from the safety and comfort of a country that's not directly threatened or with rationing of gas, rubber, meat, etc, or lots of funerals with flag draped coffins. I think that number would come down significantly if the $hit hit our fan.

You can always look back and criticize what was done. At the time, people thought it was the right thing to do.

Not to hijack the thread, but this isn't true. There were MANY loud voices at the time who pointed out how unconstitutional it was, and they didn't stop. The government ran roughshod over all those protests, but to their credit they kept going: it only took two years to work its way through every level of judicial scrutiny before SCOTUS smacked it down 6-3.

It was known to be unconstitutional at that time. Don't give tyranny a pass.

They say that today, from the safety and comfort of a country that's not directly threatened or with rationing of gas, rubber, meat, etc, or lots of funerals with flag draped coffins. I think that number would come down significantly if the $hit hit our fan.
I truly salute your optimism, but can't think of a single piece of evidence that would motivate me to agree with you.

Not to hijack the thread, but this isn't true. There were MANY loud voices at the time who pointed out how unconstitutional it was, and they didn't stop. The government ran roughshod over all those protests, but to their credit they kept going: it only took two years to work its way through every level of judicial scrutiny before SCOTUS smacked it down 6-3.

It was known to be unconstitutional at that time. Don't give tyranny a pass.
I have been known to hijack a thread or two.......

Back
Top Bottom