• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A day that will live in infamy

HARRYM

NES Member

December 7, 1941

Take a moment if you will and remember all of those lost at Pearl Harbor and in fact all that were lost or injured during the following war. I have always believed they were the greatest generation. But always remember it was and is the sacrifices made by our military that created America and keep it free to this day. And never forget that there are now many who wish to take it all away from us.

December 7, 1941

Take a moment if you will and remember all of those lost at Pearl Harbor and in fact all that were lost or injured during the following war. I have always believed they were the greatest generation. But always remember it was and is the sacrifices made by our military that created America and keep it free to this day. And never forget that there are now many who wish to take it all away from us.
Very well said sir.

If anyone ever has the opportunity to visit the USS Arizona memorial, I highly recommend it. It’s an incredible experience.

I stumbled across a series of YouTube videos a couple years ago that details the salvage operations after the attack. It’s a multi-part series but is incredible.

View: https://youtu.be/bB-V9cCSC8o?si=vbd5yc1RCEKe1HwO

December 7, 1941

And that call to arms was answered.
On Tuesday, December 9th, 1941 my 20 year old father, his brother, two cousins and more than a few of their neighbors, walked in to the USMC recruiter in South Boston and joined the Corps.
40 years later, at my dad's funeral, I asked my uncle about it. He told me that they were angry and they became Marines specifically because they figured the Marines were most likely going to be sent to fight in the Pacific.
Both came back mostly in one piece, physically.
27 years later, my brother walked into the same recruiting office and enlisted in the USMC. And my father wept.

And that call to arms was answered.
On Tuesday, December 9th, 1941 my 20 year old father, his brother, two cousins and more than a few of their neighbors, walked in to the USMC recruiter in South Boston and joined the Corps.
40 years later, at my dad's funeral, I asked my uncle about it. He told me that they were angry and they became Marines specifically because they figured the Marines were most likely going to be sent to fight in the Pacific.
Both came back mostly in one piece, physically.
27 years later, my brother walked into the same recruiting office and enlisted in the USMC. And my father wept.
Bless them all for their service!

I am always amazed when I read the Medal of Honor citations. From a soldier of the 442nd. That’s patriotism, to enlist to defend a country that imprisons you because of your race.

His official Medal of Honor citation reads:

Technical Sergeant Yukio Okutsu distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action on 7 April 1945, on Mount Belvedere, Italy. While his platoon was halted by the crossfire of three machine guns, Technical Sergeant Okutsu boldly crawled to within 30 yards of the nearest enemy emplacement through heavy fire. He destroyed the position with two accurately placed hand grenades, killing three machine gunners. Crawling and dashing from cover to cover, he threw another grenade, silencing a second machine gun, wounding two enemy soldiers, and forcing two others to surrender. Seeing a third machine gun, which obstructed his platoon's advance, he moved forward through heavy small arms fire and was stunned momentarily by rifle fire, which glanced off his helmet. Recovering, he bravely charged several enemy riflemen with his submachine gun, forcing them to withdraw from their positions. Then, rushing the machine gun nest, he captured the weapon and its entire crew of four. By these single-handed actions he enabled his platoon to resume its assault on a vital objective. The courageous performance of Technical Sergeant Okutsu against formidable odds was an inspiration to all. Technical Sergeant Okutsu's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the United States Army.[7]

I was lucky to go to a private school that had a number of WWII vets - my English teacher was a Marine, shop teacher flew fighter planes against the “Japs” as he called them. He flew with Charles Lindbergh who he called a genius who taught them how to get more out of their aircraft.

Principal served in the Navy in the Korean War. I had the greatest respect for that generation of vets. How do you disrespect a WWII vet?

Did you make like your hands are fighter planes and make explosion sounds?
Nope. Just said it is Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. He is actually a really nice guy and has helped me with getting $6 million in funding for an expansion project. If he was a dick, like some of them are, I would have had a different approach.

My dad tried to join the Navy at age 15, during WW11. He lied about his age, but got caught. He tried again at age 16 and this time he made it into the Navy. Dad was in several engagements during WW11. In the end he was on the second ship into Tokyo Bay for the signing of the Japanese surrender. He was able to take many of the same photos that we now see as historical at the signing. All of this by age 17. His younger 2 brothers were both in the military during the Korean War. My dad and uncles set a fine example for me, so when it was my turn,during the Vietnam conflict, I followed family tradition and joined the Marine Corps.
A funny aside. I never signed up for the draft. Joined the Corps. instead. I thought that would be ok. When I was home on leave I got a letter from the local draft board to report immediately , so while on leave, I stopped in at the local draft board in my home town. The bitchy lady there proceeded to tell me how much trouble I was in and that I would be brought up on charges and would have to face the music. I laughed and told her to send my appearance notice to the United States Marine Corps. She told me that I couldn't join the Corps. without her knowledge. Laughed again and told her to send that notice to Corps. as well. I went on to do 2 tours of duty in Southeast Asia, FMF West Pac, for you Jar Heads. I came home to find that the draft board lady had been fired. She had been protecting her son from being drafted and was also drafting all of the guys that her son didn't like.
P.S. The draft board ladies son got drafted.

Last edited:
Among the somber thoughts and expressions of remembrance, let's not forget that the USS Ward fired the first shots and scored the first kills of the Pacific Theatre.

December 7, 1941

in a proper context it was a very rejuvenating liberation move of our japanese brothers in the global anti-imperialist intifada.
it all depends upon a context, as harvard tells us.

My dad tried to join the Navy at age 15, during WW11. He lied about his age, but got caught. He tried again at age 16 and this time he made it into the Navy. Dad was in several engagements during WW11. In the end he was on the second ship into Tokyo Bay for the signing of the Japanese surrender. He was able to take many of same photos that we now see as historical at the signing. All of this by age 17. His younger 2 brothers were both in the military during the Korean War. My dad and uncles set a fine example for me, so when it was my turn,during the Vietnam conflict, I followed family tradition and joined the Marine Corps.
A funny aside. I never signed up for the draft. Joined the Corps. instead. I thought that would ok. When I was home on leave I got a letter from the local draft board to report immediately , so while on leave, I stopped in at the local draft board in my home town. The bitchy lady there proceeded to tell me how much trouble I was in and that I would be brought up on charges and would have to face the music. I laughed and told her to send my appearance notice to the United States Marine Corps. She told me that I couldn't join the Corps. Without her knowledge. Laughed again and told her to send that notice to Coprs. as well. I went on to do 2 tours of duty in Southeast Asia, FMF West Pac, for you Jar Heads. I came home to find that the draft board lady had been fired. She had been protecting her son from being drafted and was also drafting all of the guys that her son didn't like.
Thank all of you for your service. I hold all military members past and present in high regard.

My Mom's birthday (but not 1941)

My paternal grandfather, the son of Italian immigrants, served in Europe. While I know he was in Germany, he died before my birth so I have no knowledge of exactly where.
My maternal grandfather was younger and served in Korea.

What's odd and concerning is I don't see any email traffic on the subject at work today - and I work for the Navy

I was lucky to go to a private school that had a number of WWII vets - my English teacher was a Marine, shop teacher flew fighter planes against the “Japs” as he called them. He flew with Charles Lindbergh who he called a genius who taught them how to get more out of their aircraft.

Principal served in the Navy in the Korean War. I had the greatest respect for that generation of vets. How do you disrespect a WWII vet?
Well i mean...charles L is pretty easy to disrespect after that baby thing...

Back
Top Bottom