A Black hole or gravity?

JimConway

Instructor
I just read an article by Ethan Johns in SWAT magazine, that got me thinking. He mentions an odd fact that I have observed in my students and myself. If there is a Ragged hole in one part of your target, even it is not exactly where you want it, all of you subsequent shots seem to get sucked into, or very near, the ragged hole. I am sure that some of you have seen this and others are saying "No way".

It is easy to prove with two 8.5" by 11" sheets of blank paper. Mount the two sheets, side by side, on the target say at 4 or 5 yards. In the first sheet shoot one full magazine, as fast as you can, being sure that all of the shots are on the paper. The shots will normally be well dispersed.
On the second sheet, shoot one shot as close to the center as you can. Now, continue shooting, the rest of your mag, using the first hole as your aiming point. Be sure to take as much time as you need and do not rush. If you have worked on this at all you should have a nice ragged hole, probably less than 2 inches, or at the least you should have a clearly visible aiming point.

Now shoot another full magazine at the second sheet as fast as you can keep all of the shots on the paper. For most folks, the second fast group will be significantly small, with some of the shots even in he ragged hole.

Ethan Johns comments the the fast shots are sucked into or near the ragged hoes be a gravity field generated by the ragged hole. It is my thought that the ragged hole is actually a "Black Hole" that sucks moving objects into it. What is actually happening is that the shooter has a very discinct aiming point that offers a high contrast to the eye.

What do you think?
Does this offer any use for training?
Is this just a dumb factoid?

This is tongue in cheek right?lol Shooting one ragged hole shows consistancy in sight picture and trigger pull.Nothing magical at all.

I have seen this demonstrated by many Boy Scouts firing their first shots in trying to earn their Rifle Shooting Merit Badge. Considering the number of them who have argued their case that all the shots went through the ONE HOLE in the target and that they did not miss any shots it must be explained by this phenomenon.

Thank you for finally explaining the "physics" of this.

I experienced this at the appleseed shoot. My neighbor shot a hole in the center before i got into position. most of my subsequent shots ended up right near the hole on her target! I wasn't confused, it was physics [laugh]

This is tongue in cheek right?lol Shooting one ragged hole shows consistancy in sight picture and trigger pull.Nothing magical at all.

The explanation is a bit tongue in cheek as you suggested, but the situation is very real. Shooting the ragged hole is not the issue. The issue is the firing of a full magazine after shooting the ragged hole. The shot pattern will be much smaller than the one shot on the blank paper,

Recently I had a student that was prepping to shoot the MPTC Police handgun test. His first tries were dismal although the close range shots were much better. On his third try, I suggested that he try for one ragged hole for the shots at 3 and 5 yards. he did this with 20 shots and got a 2 inch hole. I gave him no further suggestions and all of his remaining shots (30) gave him a 4 inch group

Both of us were pleased

As soon as I read this i thought of that line mel Gibson says to his kids in "The Patriot" when he tells them "Aim small, Miss small."

Back
Top Bottom