A bit of confusion here.

I know that non MA compliant guns can't be sold by a dealer with the exception of used guns, in state, originally purchased before the cut off date.

But what about doing a transfer for a non compliant gun purchased out of state and sent to the dealer in state to complete the turn-over to the purchaser?

I know that non MA compliant guns can't be [STRIKE]sold[/STRIKE] transfered by a dealer with the exception of used guns, in state, originally purchased before the cut off date.

But what about doing a transfer for a non compliant gun purchased out of state and sent to the dealer in state to complete the turn-over to the purchaser?

No, and the reason why is rooted in the change I made to your OP. The sale has nothing to do with it. It is a limitation on transfers.

But your question brings me to something I have always wondered about. How someone who needs to send an off list/AG non compliant gun to the mfg/etc for service is able to get it back. I don't know if it is an exception or just mass non compliance of the FFLs to the letter of the law.

I know that non MA compliant guns can't be sold by a dealer with the exception of used guns, in state, originally purchased before the cut off date.

Note, that won't cut it either. The regulations use the word "transfer." In the situation of an out-of-state seller shipping to your in-state FFL, the in-state FFL would be doing a transfer to you, which then runs afoul of the regulations.

Sorry, but getting around the regulations isn't that easy.

Doesn't matter, still a transfer, still violates the law.... well, at least the dealer is.

BTW, there are TWO different tiers of pre 98 compliance. For the EOPS list guns (like Glocks) there is no "must have been in the state on 10/21/98" problem. You can take a pre98 manufacture date glock from anywhere and transfer it into MA, as long as the model is on the list. For the other, harsher, tier of compliance, there is the "must have been in MA on the cutoff date" problem, which typically having pre 10/98 paper on the gun from an MA gun store or an old blue card is good enough for most dealers.

See the FAQ here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37553

-Mike

But your question brings me to something I have always wondered about. How someone who needs to send an off list/AG non compliant gun to the mfg/etc for service is able to get it back. I don't know if it is an exception or just mass non compliance of the FFLs to the letter of the law.

Since this is not a legal ownership transfer, this is functionally a non-event. Even if the gun is sent in for service, the owner of the gun isn't changing. You might run into
some "fun" however if a frame gets replaced, with a different SN than the original one. Many MA FFLs might balk at this.

-Mike

Since this is not a legal ownership transfer, this is functionally a non-event. Even if the gun is sent in for service, the owner of the gun isn't changing. You might run into
some "fun" however if a frame gets replaced, with a different SN than the original one. Many MA FFLs might balk at this.

-Mike

Of course, there's no reason to get a dealer involved in repair work anyway.

Of course, there's no reason to get a dealer involved in repair work anyway.

I use dealers all the time to move handguns in and out. It's easier (and cheaper) for me to go to my local FFL and get them to do the shipping, rather than argue with some UPS or Fedex droid about how I can legally ship a handgun. Not to mention when it comes back it goes to the dealer and I just pick it up any time they are open, instead of playing "yellow tag funhouse" with the drivers. (I'm never home when UPS or Fedex comes. )

-Mike

I use dealers all the time to move handguns in and out. It's easier (and cheaper) for me to go to my local FFL and get them to do the shipping, rather than argue with some UPS or Fedex droid about how I can legally ship a handgun. Not to mention when it comes back it goes to the dealer and I just pick it up any time they are open, instead of playing "yellow tag funhouse" with the drivers. (I'm never home when UPS or Fedex comes. )

-Mike

Does that make a difference? I find "adult signature required" packages dropped off on my porch all the time.

Ken

-Mike

Hmm, the UPS people at my local depot really never raise an eyebrow about it.

I always have the UPS driver hold it at the depot because it's only 5 minutes from me and on the way home.

Back
Top Bottom