A ALP in town of business

Hello everyone, I currently have a class A ALP and would like to renew it (10 months from now) in Marshfield where my business is located. I will be moving to a less than friendly town and don't want to be denied an ALP permit. When I lived in Scituate I got the A ALP because of my job, diesel truck repair, 2nd, 3rd shift and roadside work. I don't think Pembroke will be as accommodating from what I have heard. So the question is this: Can I still get a permit in the town where my business is located? and how can I bring the subject up if the officer does not know that I can apply there? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MGLs allow you to do this, HOWEVER most chiefs refuse to do so and will tell you to apply where you live. This is especially true if the chief where you own a business knows that the chief where you live won't likely issue LTC-A/ALP.

That said, it's worth a try. NOTHING in MGLs compels them to issue a LTC anywhere . . . it's discretionary. [sad]

jshooter,

I don't know why you are moving, but given the set of circumstances you have presented I would suggest that you do everything you can to at least delay the move until you have to renew. That way you should be able to get a Class A LTC ALP where you currently live (assuming it will be renewed as such) then take it with you to the place you have to move to.

You could always start the renewal process now. If asked why so soon, simply say that you want to make sure it's all set before it expires.

Adam

I was in a very similar situation and it didn't work out for me.

I called several times and spoke to dispatch about what I would need as far as proof of business in town. They told me that I absolutely couldn't apply there... Only the town in which I lived. I tried to tell them otherwise but they "didn't think I was correct". Knowing this isn't "legally" the case, I gathered my materials and went in person. I was processed and fingerprinted by an officer and thought all was well. Three days later they called and said the chief rejected my application because I don't live in town and he refuses to authorize for business owners. Tough luck for me!

I was, however, successful in persuading a non-ALP issuing department to at least issue for personal protection.

I would simply ask the chief if he issues to business owners in town and take his answer for what it's worth. I found explaining Mass gun laws to LEO's quite counterproductive. They tend to get pretty defensive about it.

mdh said:
I called several times and spoke to dispatch about what I would need as far as proof of business in town. They told me that I absolutely couldn't apply there... Only the town in which I lived. I tried to tell them otherwise but they "didn't think I was correct".,,, I found explaining Mass gun laws to LEO's quite counterproductive. They tend to get pretty defensive about it.

Putting such a question "to dispatch" is, almost always, worse than useless. IF you are fortunate, you will get an admission that he/she does not know the answer. Far more often you will get MISinformation from a wanna-be whose ignorance of the subject matter is exceeded only by the tenacity with which they cling to their ignorance and the insistence with which they foist it upon others.

HINT: If you wish to explain Mass. gun laws to LEO's (who DO, quite often, get VERY defensive when you question their misstatements), use Glidden's book. Arguing with the Firearms Committee Chairmen of their own MCOPA is something they are not comfortable doing. [wink]

Scrivener said:
Putting such a question "to dispatch" is, almost always, worse than useless. IF you are fortunate, you will get an admission that he/she does not know the answer. Far more often you will get MISinformation from a wanna-be whose ignorance of the subject matter is exceeded only by the tenacity with which they cling to their ignorance and the insistence with which they foist it upon others.

HINT: If you wish to explain Mass. gun laws to LEO's (who DO, quite often, get VERY defensive when you question their misstatements), use Glidden's book. Arguing with the Firearms Committee Chairmen of their own MCOPA is something they are not comfortable doing. [wink]

Although I agree with your statement, it begs the question: And how is this any different from the position of most chiefs and their licensing officers? [sad]

Touché on the use of Ron Glidden's book. Since he is "one of them" and the undisputed authority in MA who actually knows and understands the convoluted laws, they may sputter and steam but it will be hard for them to refute his written words. [Of course they can always do what an IRS Audit Supv. pulled on me once many years ago when I put the IRS business deduction booklet in front of him and read the pertinent paragraph "I don't agree with that statement!" I just told him that it was IRS' own interpretation of the Tax Code and "I'll see you in Tax Court!", spun on my heel and walked away. Actually took ~1 minute with the next level of IRS Audit process (don't recall the title) and I won my case. Problem is that the chief is "G_d" and there is no real appeal of his MGL-given right to not issue business owners.]

Scrivener said:
Far more often you will get MISinformation from a wanna-be whose ignorance of the subject matter is exceeded only by the tenacity with which they cling to their ignorance and the insistence with which they foist it upon others.

[wink]

Impressive, Scrivener. That is some damned nice prose. As a teacher of technical writing, and a student of the English language, I must say: you write good.[wink]

Chris

ChristosX said:
Impressive, Scrivener. That is some damned nice prose. As a teacher of technical writing, and a student of the English language, I must say: you write good.

I also take excellent care of my animals and ordnance. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom