9mm Carry Ammo - 1st Round Dilemma

The OP is carrying a Glock. There is no external user controlled safety. Also, you never want to do this with your guns. They're not designed to function like that. You could damage the extractor or cause a malfunction due to the extractor not seating on the rim of the case properly.

+1

I still don't see why you would unload it? Are cops randomly searching your car while you're gone?

- - - Updated - - -

I've been dropping the slide on chambered rounds since I've owned my MP9 EDC. The extractor is fine and shows no signs of wear. I'm fairly certain I've done it a few thousand times as I dry fire frequently.

I believe this might be only a no no on the inferior 1911 design.

Are you saying that for dry fire practice you lock back the slide, then place a round in the chamber, then let the slide slam home?

Are you saying that for dry fire practice you lock back the slide, then place a round in the chamber, then let the slide slam home?

??

I'm saying AFTER dry fire practice I drop a round in and release the slide. My extractor is fine and I have a decent amount of ammo through this gun, about 12k rounds.

You are not going to damage a S&W or a Glock (non-1911) by dropping the slide on a round.

??

I'm saying AFTER dry fire practice I drop a round in and release the slide. My extractor is fine and I have a decent amount of ammo through this gun, about 12k rounds.

You are not going to damage a S&W or a Glock (non-1911) by dropping the slide on a round.

Pretty sure it's ok with a glock. Smith guys said it's not ok with m&p... the extractor won't bump over it. It's fixed in place unlike glock.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The "Smith guys" are lying. My six year old gun with its original extractor says so.

All I meant was that the m&p extractor isn't on a spring, and has potential to shear off case rim. Doesn't mean it will.

Edit. Im sorry. Wasn't discussing the extractor failing. I was referring to case rim.

Double edit. Blame alcohol

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldnt have to worry about this problem if you just left your gun loaded as others have said. I see no reason to load and unload everytime you take the gun off you. Unless you plan on leaving you gun on your doorstep for all to have access to just leave the thing loaded

I haven't noticed the bullets getting pushed into the case with my setup (M&P 40c, Hornady Critical Duty). I have noticed the rim of the case getting scratches on it (I'm assuming from the extractor snapping over it every time I chamber the round). I usually will rotate that round farther down in the mag when I notice this wear.
Now that you mention the bullet getting forced into the case I am going to break out the caliper an measure the rounds to see if that's happening to my carry ammo, but I can say that I have not noticed the rounds getting shorter, so if they have its only by a small amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean it, load it and leave it in the safe loaded.

Do not do this "You could always lock the slide open, manually drop the round in the chamber, close the slide, set the saftey, then feed in the magazine."

As discussed earlier, causes the extractor to stretch over the case rim. A bigger deal for 1911's, may or may not be an issue for other types of pistols.

I'm just asking don't blanket tell people not to do it. In the vast majority of firearms there is no harm. You're wording infers that if you do it, it's somehow wrong and going to cause damage, which simply isn't true in most cases. If it's your preference that's cool. I've dropped the slide on some rounds more than 20 times. I've never had an issue with the rim or extraction of any round that has been rechambered repeatedly. Pushback is a separate issue that people should be aware of, especially those carrying +P.

I agree, pushback is a much bigger issue that a lot of people are completely unaware of until.....BOOM

Wondering where the OP is living? If MA, leaving it loaded is illegal. Right?

And as for, "what if you need it in a hurry", It wouldn't be in a locked box if you needed quick access I would think.

I'm just asking don't blanket tell people not to do it. In the vast majority of firearms there is no harm. You're wording infers that if you do it, it's somehow wrong and going to cause damage, which simply isn't true in most cases. If it's your preference that's cool. I've dropped the slide on some rounds more than 20 times. I've never had an issue with the rim or extraction of any round that has been rechambered repeatedly. Pushback is a separate issue that people should be aware of, especially those carrying +P.

I am 110% against "ghetto loading" semiautomatic handguns because I think it's a habit thing. I don't want to start a bad habit and end up wrecking a 1911 or some other "sensitive" handgun because of it. If people don't know you, it also sends of "newb vibes" the same way swinging a crane on a revolver does, or slamming a slide on an empty chamber. It's just stuff that makes people cringe- even if the reason they're cringing 75% of the time is stupid, it's easier to just not go down that road with no real cost. [laugh]

The only things I really "ghetto/chamber load" are shotguns and the like, and in many circumstances, rifles... but in those contexts its not nearly as frowned upon.

-Mike

I owned a 1911 once. A new Colt Combat Elite. Nice looking gun, probably a great safe queen if you're into that kind of thing. Never really liked shooting it. Traded it for a few cases of .223. I don't miss it one bit and I'll probably never own another one. I still don't understand the fanaticism. Just seemed like an overly complicated gun with so many safeties it's probably OSHA approved. Which is mostly why I didn't like it, along with the fact that 9 rounds is decidedly inadequate.

Also pushback was a major issue on that gun, especially if you were loading HP. Two or three chamberings from the mag and the bullet was visibly and significantly shorter.

Last edited:
The Royal Guard protecting Princess Anne Walther PPK jammed when he came under fire during a kidnapping attempt. The study showed that the jam was caused by repeatedly loading the same round every day causing the bullet to get pushed back into the case and shortening the case OAL.

This has happened folks.

Wondering where the OP is living? If MA, leaving it loaded is illegal. Right?

And as for, "what if you need it in a hurry", It wouldn't be in a locked box if you needed quick access I would think.

Yes, I am in MA.

The Royal Guard protecting Princess Anne Walther PPK jammed when he came under fire during a kidnapping attempt. The study showed that the jam was caused by repeatedly loading the same round every day causing the bullet to get pushed back into the case and shortening the case OAL.

This has happened folks.

Exactly.

Better ammo will probably help me to some extent..... I've started to look at safes to see if there is anything that will work for me right now.

This has happened folks.

If you manually load the round and drop the slide this can't happen.

Back
Top Bottom