9mm Carry Ammo - 1st Round Dilemma

I've been carrying my G-19 more and more these days, and like every other responsible firearm owner, I leave it unloaded and locked up when I am not carrying it, which can happen 2-3 times per day.... The first round in my magazine that I repeatedly chamber, and then remove day-in and day-out, eventually becomes unusable since the bullet gets pushed further in the casing from the feed ramp.

I imaging most everyone who carrys has this problem, and some resolve it by firing that round off at the range before it becomes unusable... Trouble is, I don't get to the range that much, and end up with 15+ unusable rounds before I get to the range.

Couple of questions:

1. What is the proper way to dispose of these rounds once they become unusable?
2. Does some self-defense ammunition brands handle repetitive loading/unloading better than others? The stuff I am using right now (Fiocchi I think) only takes about 3-4 cycles before they are junk.
3. Would polishing my feed ramp be of any help?

Any advice would be a huge help. Thanks!

dude, assuming you put it in a lockbox, leave the gun loaded when you lock it up. you're the only one with access to it, YOU know it's loaded.
Stop throwing away your ammo

You could always lock the slide open, manually drop the round in the chamber, close the slide, set the saftey, then feed in the magazine.

-chris

I do the same thing with my carry guns also. I do it mainly for safety even though as mentioned above, it's locked up and I'm the only one with access to my safe. My fiancé has her Sig P239 in the safe but she never touches it unless she comes to the range with me (which is like once a year). I never realized the rounds can become unusable after chambering and unloading the gun so many times. Makes sense though I guess. So when the bullet keeps getting pushed further back in the casing, I'm guessing the round won't easily chamber since its further back from the feed ramp?

Like others said why unload it if it is locked up. To answer your question I have hormandy critical defense 9mm and the first round has been chambered a few dozen times from unloading to clean or show a friend my pistol, an sr9c. I have measured it against a new round and there is no difference

- - - Updated - - -

I do the same thing with my carry guns also. I do it mainly for safety even though as mentioned above, it's locked up and I'm the only one with access to my safe. My fiancé has her Sig P239 in the safe but she never touches it unless she comes to the range with me (which is like once a year). I never realized the rounds can become unusable after chambering and unloading the gun so many times. Makes sense though I guess. So when the bullet keeps getting pushed further back in the casing, I'm guessing the round won't easily chamber since its further back from the feed ramp?

The problem is a possible over pressure.

Rotate your ammo.
When you reload take a round from your carry mag.
Top the carry mag off with your former chamber round.
Figure out some type of rotation.

When I head to the range I usually load up with some older carry ammo, so my first few rounds are carry ammo, perform a double reverse tac roll whilst reloading with range ammo.

Last edited:
You could always lock the slide open, manually drop the round in the chamber, close the slide, set the saftey, then feed in the magazine.

-chris

The OP is carrying a Glock. There is no external user controlled safety. Also, you never want to do this with your guns. They're not designed to function like that. You could damage the extractor or cause a malfunction due to the extractor not seating on the rim of the case properly.

The OP is carrying a Glock. There is no external user controlled safety. Also, you never want to do this with your guns. They're not designed to function like that. You could damage the extractor or cause a malfunction due to the extractor not seating on the rim of the case properly.

Not familiar with Glocks, thanks for the heads up. We can agree to disagree on the second point, I don't see a difference in me feeding the round in or the magazine feeding the round in.

-chris

Not familiar with Glocks, thanks for the heads up. We can agree to disagree on the second point, I don't see a difference in me feeding the round in or the magazine feeding the round in.

-chris

The difference is that when a round is picked up out of the magazine, the extractor is "open", as the slide closes and the round chambers the extractor "closes"

When you drop a round into the chamber and drop the slide, you force the extractor to ride over the case. Doing it that way increases the chance of errors and or premature wear on the extractor.

-chris

You can agree to disagree, but you're still abusing your extractor.

It's only ok to do this in a Beretta 92 with FMJ hollow points and you're Mel Gibson.

The difference is that when a round is picked up out of the magazine, the extractor is "open", as the slide closes and the round chambers the extractor "closes"

When you drop a round into the chamber and drop the slide, you force the extractor to ride over the case. Doing it that way increases the chance of errors and or premature wear on the extractor.

I'll have to dig in to that a bit, you may be right, but the way I think the extractor works is that it's always closed and always rides over case when the case is slammed home after a cycle. Anway, I'll look into it so I don't talk out of my butt :p

-chris

I'll have to dig in to that a bit, you may be right, but the way I think the extractor works is that it's always closed and always rides over case when the case is slammed home after a cycle. Anway, I'll look into it so I don't talk out of my butt :p

-chris

Sorry but that ship has sailed.

-chris

The rim slides under the extractor when fed from a mag. No further research needed.

The extractor snaps over the rim when you manually feed a round.

Don't drop round in chamber, its bad for the extractor. When I eject a chambered round, I draw a - across the primer with a Sharpie. Second time its chambered, another line makes a +. Next time its ejected, it goes in the practice box.

I've been carrying my G-19 more and more these days, and like every other responsible firearm owner, I leave it unloaded and locked up when I am not carrying it, which can happen 2-3 times per day.... The first round in my magazine that I repeatedly chamber, and then remove day-in and day-out, eventually becomes unusable since the bullet gets pushed further in the casing from the feed ramp.

I imaging most everyone who carrys has this problem, and some resolve it by firing that round off at the range before it becomes unusable... Trouble is, I don't get to the range that much, and end up with 15+ unusable rounds before I get to the range.

Couple of questions:

1. What is the proper way to dispose of these rounds once they become unusable?
2. Does some self-defense ammunition brands handle repetitive loading/unloading better than others? The stuff I am using right now (Fiocchi I think) only takes about 3-4 cycles before they are junk.
3. Would polishing my feed ramp be of any help?

Any advice would be a huge help. Thanks!

I bolded your problem. Stop unloading your gun. There's no reason to.

As others have suggested either leave it loaded when you lock it up or cycle your top round every 2nd wednesday of the month before last. ;)

Rotate your ammo.
When you reload take a round from your carry mag.
Top the carry mag off with your former chamber round.
Figure out some type of rotation.

When I head to the range I usually load up with some older carry ammo, so my first few rounds are carry ammo, perform a double reverse tac roll whilst reloading with range ammo.
+1 I do the same, but blindfolded.

Don't drop round in chamber, its bad for the extractor. When I eject a chambered round, I draw a - across the primer with a Sharpie. Second time its chambered, another line makes a +. Next time its ejected, it goes in the practice box.
Great! Now I gotta carry a fcukin Sharpie!

I have yet to have any of my guns, all of which are loaded, ever shoot anything by themselves. Until that changes I'll keep them loaded. Otherwise I'd just collect baseball bats, because that would be more useful than an unloaded firearm.

I bolded your problem. Stop unloading your gun. There's no reason to.
But what if you are leaving in your car in Massachusetts?
conspiracy-keanu.jpg

1. Don't unload your gun if you're going to secure it. Loading and unloading your gun unnecessarily gives you more opportunity to make a mistake and have an ND;
  2. Check the OAL of your rounds. If there's no measurable set-back they should be good to go;
  3. As others have said - Do Not drop the slide on a chambered round as you'll risk damage to the extractor.
I try to avoid loading and unloading my carry gun unless I have to. It's loaded, so it's always either on my side or securely kept or stored.

But what if you are leaving in your car in Massachusetts?
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/203/685/conspiracy-keanu.jpg?1321901003[/QUOTE]

I still don't see why you would unload it? Are cops randomly searching your car while you're gone?

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote="Knuckle Dragger, post: 3602813"][LIST=1]
[*]Don't unload your gun if you're going to secure it. Loading and unloading your gun unnecessarily gives you more opportunity to make a mistake and have an ND;
[*]Check the OAL of your rounds. If there's no measurable set-back they should be good to go;
[*]As others have said - [B]Do Not[/B] drop the slide on a chambered round as you'll risk damage to the extractor.
[*]
[/LIST]
I try to avoid loading and unloading my carry gun unless I have to. It's loaded, so it's always either on my side or securely kept or stored.[/QUOTE]

I've been dropping the slide on chambered rounds since I've owned my MP9 EDC. The extractor is fine and shows no signs of wear. I'm fairly certain I've done it a few thousand times as I dry fire frequently.

I believe this might be only a no no on the inferior 1911 design.

I typically don't unload, unless I'm at the range, and switching to fmj. A buddy of mine likes to draw and shoot first couple of rounds in the condition he carried. Basically a "would this have worked" test. I think I will start doing that as well. It was a lot easier when my particular brand of carry ammo was available for half the cost and in stock. Good thing I split a case with another buddy before SH.

Right now I don't have a safe, and given my current living situation, and a number of other scenarios I am usually in at home or elsewhere - my Glock stays unloaded and cable locked when not on my person, and ammo remains in a separate location.... Without getting into any specifics, just know that it's the safest option for myself and those around me. Not ideal, but it's temporary.

I will definitely start looking for some better quality ammo, and try rotating them as well. I have never dropped the slide on a round already in the chamber either.

- - - Updated - - -

1) Drop the mag
2) fire the round into the air
3) lock in container
4) Profit

[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom