• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm ammo advice

racer1245

NES Member
I have always shot 115g FMJ for target and training. Now that I EDC (Hellcat OSP) I have 115 JHP loaded.

Should I consider going to 124g or maybe higher?

I read something that said the HC liked 124g better. Also have some issues with my 9mm 1911 (jamming) and Beretta 92 (slide not locking after empty) that might be solved by 124g.

Any advice appreciated.

FWIW, my P938 (compact 1911 style 9mm) is more reliable with 124 than 115. But this is the sort of thing that you need to run a few hundred rounds of 115/124/148 through your gun to find out.

I have always shot 115g FMJ for target and training. Now that I EDC (Hellcat OSP) I have 115 JHP loaded.

I read something that said the HC liked 124g better. Also have some issues with my 9mm 1911 (jamming) and Beretta 92 (slide not locking after empty) that might be solved by 124g.

Any advice appreciated.
Lol right now we're in a whatever you can get your hands on sort of market situation...

124 is better on average but right now? Not worth fussing over.

I honestly see zero difference. Unless you're an aficionado, I don't think you'll ever tell.
It can really vary by pistol.

As an example, you don't need to be an aficionado to notice that my P938 had an average of one FTE per box with 115 against one every two to three boxes if I was shooting 124 (a return to the factory eventually resolved the issue).

I have tried all three weights (115, 124, 147). I use Gold Dot HP 147 grain in my EDC Glock 26. A little less recoil, a little more penetration, very accurate and very reliable.

Any advice appreciated.
i guess the majority will vote for the 147gr hollow points. that is what i use as well. as of recoil amount - the difference is negligent enough, no need to re-train specifically for the 147gr loads.

I honestly see zero difference. Unless you're an aficionado, I don't think you'll ever tell.
I'm kind of with you on this. I'd need a bench rest to be able to tell the difference. My own personal accuracy is not high enough to notice subtle difference in how these variations in grain perform in accuracy.

Mechanically/functionality wise though, that might be a different story that's on a per gun basis. I could see some models or even some manufacturing variations within a model run that might make a gun prefer certain grains for the smoothest function.

I’m waiting for Jack to start popping into these bullet weight threads like a pre-Healey AR thread.

Try ‘em all, shoot ‘em all. My 365 likes the 147’s, the G19 runs 124’s, and I have target ammo in all 3 weights. At this point? Buy whatever you can find.

Back
Top Bottom