92 Year old woman shot in Atlanta after firing on cops

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005600271

92-Year-Old Woman Shot Dead By Police After She Opens Fire

November 22, 2006 6:52 a.m. EST

Nidhi Sharma - All Headline News Staff Writer

Atlanta, GA (AHN) - A 92-year-old woman in northwest Atlanta injured three narcotic police officers after she opened fire on them as they forced their way through a door while serving a warrant at a house in northwest Atlanta. In defense, the officers shot and killed the old woman identified as Kathryn Johnston.

According to neighbors and relatives, this must be a case of mistaken identity but police insist that Johnston was the only resident in the house at the time and had lived in the home for about 17 years.

Assistant Chief Alan Dreher told AP that the officers had a legal warrant and "knocked and announced" before they forced open the door. He also supported the officers' move to shoot the woman in return.

The three plainclothes Atlanta police officers are currently undergoing treatment at Grady Memorial Hospital. According to police, one was hit in the arm, another in a thigh and the third in a shoulder, and all three were conscious and alert.

Describing the incident, Officer Joe Cobb, a police spokesman said a woman inside started shooting the moment they approached the house about 7 pm. The officers just returned fire.

WAGA-TV said that Sarah Dozier, a niece of the woman denied any presence of drugs at the house.

"My aunt was in good health. I'm sure she panicked when they kicked that door down," Dozier said. "There was no reason they had to go in there and shoot her down like a dog."

If the cops were there looking for drugs, even though it was potentially the wrong address, I'm sure the woman was in fear of her surroundings and being as old as she was probably didn't hear as well as a younger person. She probably thought the cops were thugs coming to break in a do her harm. Its a sad situation all the way around.

The cops thought it was a drug house and were fired upon...worst fear....

Its too bad.

Sounds like bad intel to me, most likely had the wrong address on the warrant. A little extra time checking the info and these types of tragedies could be averted

If the cops were there looking for drugs, even though it was potentially the wrong address, I'm sure the woman was in fear of her surroundings and being as old as she was probably didn't hear as well as a younger person. She probably thought the cops were thugs coming to break in a do her harm. Its a sad situation all the way around.

The cops thought it was a drug house and were fired upon...worst fear....

Its too bad.

That's how I see it, too.

So why are the cops raiding people's freaking houses looking for drugs in the first place? It's WRONG for them to be doing that! Stop the raids now!

"So why are the cops raiding people's freaking houses looking for drugs in the first place? It's WRONG for them to be doing that! Stop the raids now!"

I don't understand this comment. Are you saying that the drug dealers should be free to conduct their trade in peace without fear of arrest?

This was a warrant service. The newspaper article is brief and vauge. I'm guessing that a warrant is issued in the same way it was done in my area of NJ. The warrant must be submitted to a County Prosecutor who specializes in that area. After his review and acceptance, it is forwarded to a Superior Court judge for approval.

While a 92 y/o probably doesn't have the senses a teenager has, it isn't unheard of for someone of that age to be running a drug operation. At least in the NY area.

While I wouldn't expect the relitives to be giving up Grandma, the facts aren't in yet. I have no idea if the address was correct. But as they were taking fire from the onset, they probably weren't going to reduce their level of awareness and caution.

In any case, this is a guessing game until more valid details are exposed.

So they couldn't arrest her when she left her home? They have to barge in and scare the shit out of her like some nazi, jackbooted thugs?

Screw that crap. Stop these raids now.

In defense of the police, they probably didn't know who was shooting at them, it's pretty much instinct to return fire. It's tragic, and we'll have to see how it plays out.

The addicts broke my door down in 1994. The money they stole went in their arm/nose, and was prolly gone that night.

The War On Drugs is lost.

Give them (the drugs) to them. For free.

When am I due for another invasion?

.... snip

I don't understand this comment. Are you saying that the drug dealers should be free to conduct their trade in peace without fear of arrest?

So why are the cops raiding people's freaking houses looking for drugs in the first place? It's WRONG for them to be doing that! Stop the raids now!

Because currently drugs are illegal, and the people who make their living manufacturing, and selling drugs are a danger to their immediate surroundings. Also it is outrageous to expect the police to deal with these people by sending 2 patrol officers to knock on the front door, like they were responding to a routine call.

So that justified killing and maiming innocent civilians? Bullcrap. These raids need to be stopped. They can bust the suspects when they are out on the street then go to the house afterward. There's no need to be knocking in people's doors at 3 a.m.

Reminds me way too much of nazi germany. Screw that crap.

Because currently drugs are illegal, and the people who make their living manufacturing, and selling drugs are a danger to their immediate surroundings. Also it is outrageous to expect the police to deal with these people by sending 2 patrol officers to knock on the front door, like they were responding to a routine call.

It is also outrageous that these officers can go to a WRONG address... or to an address given by an "informant" who doesn't even exist. If they're going to do a military operation, then they need to be 100 percent certain that they're in the right location.

Oh, and Jim?? Can you please delete the phrase "screw that crap" from your vocabulary? I realize that this is a hot button for you, but you sound like the worst kind of hothead when you post that phrase, and it does NOT help you make your point. I agree with you in how outrageous it is, but "screw that crap" doesn't help get the point across.

Ross - resident grammarian & curmudgeon.

I can't guarantee that I'll never say it again Ross. I'd be lying if I did. But I'll do what I can to avoid subjecting you to it.

[rolleyes]

Jim, it's not ME you have to worry about. I agree with you!! But it's the guy who just stumbled across this board looking for info on guns in MA, or the legistraitor on Bacon Hill who reads this stuff to gauge how well organized the opposition will be when s/he introduces the bill to ban all guns in MA, or... dare I say it? it's people like swatmedic - who you should be trying REALLY HARD to convince with reasoned arguments. Like Derek said in another thread... you need to dial it back to reasoned arguments.

No problem, I'm checking out for a while anyway as I have a lot of packing and what not to do. So I'll be on vacation from posting until now until at least after my move is finished and perhaps a bit longer. Thanks for the feedback though. Bye for now.

It is also outrageous that these officers can go to a WRONG address

Where in the article did it say they were at the wrong address? I didn't see that. As far as an arrest outside of the home. Wrong again. The warrant wasn't for the 92 y/o from what I gather. I'm guessing it was a Search Warrant and not an Arrest Warrant.

knocking in people's doors at 3 a.m

Where are you getting these facts? The incident happened at 7pm.

Last edited:
It is also outrageous that these officers can go to a WRONG address

Where in the article did it say they were at the wrong address?
I was referring to the fact of these types of arrests in general. There have been many problems with cops going to the wrong address in the past. See that cato.org link for specifics.

As far as an arrest outside of the home. Wrong again. The warrant wasn't for the 92 y/o from what I gather. I'm guessing it was a Search Warrant and not an Arrest Warrant.
Still... the person they shot was NOT the person who was dealing the drugs. Does your friend on the APD say if the old woman knew what was going on? Well... kind of tough to ask her now, isn't it?

So that justified killing and maiming innocent civilians? Bullcrap. These raids need to be stopped. They can bust the suspects when they are out on the street then go to the house afterward. There's no need to be knocking in people's doors at 3 a.m.

Reminds me way too much of nazi germany. Screw that crap.

In all fairness, we do not know if she was innocent yet. She wounded three police officers with a firearm. Was she dealing or not. Wea assume not because of her age. See how it plays out before you rake the cops over the coals....but even a mistake she fired at them possibly not knowing or realizing they were cops and they fired back because that's what they are trained to do when someone shoots at them....I don't really care what the age....they have a duty to go home alive everyday.

My gut feeling is that the grandkids were using her home as the sales point for the drug dealing. It is common where I worked. She might or might not have known what was going on. At that age some people are just happy to have anyone around.

But it has already been established that they didn't hit the wrong house. Drugs were coming from the home. The area is trying to make a comeback and this raid might be part of an effort to clean up the area.

Age doesn't come into play when your butt is on the line. Should we all think that a 13 year old isn't capable of deadly force because of his YOUNG age? I can tell you first hand they are capable. Just as those on the other end of the spectum are capable of violent acts. These events happen in seconds. They can't sit back and debate the details like we can do here.

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=88020
Chief: Warrant Served at Right House

Web Editor: Tracey Christensen
Last Modified: 11/22/2006 4:13:38 PM

Three police officers who killed a 92-year-old woman after she shot and wounded them were serving a warrant at the correct address, Assistant Atlanta Police Chief Alan James Dreher said at a news conference Wednesday.

Chief Dreher said the officers bought illegal drugs earlier in the day from a man at Kathryn Johnston's house on Neal Street in Atlanta. The man who sold the drugs has not yet been identified or arrested.

"As a result of that narcotics purchase, members of the narcotics team obtained a search warrant for that same address. As they were executing the search warrant, they announced themselves before they forced open the door. Once the door was forced, the female inside began shooting at the police officers. The officers returned fire," said Chief Dreher.

Johnston received fatal gunshot wounds from the officers. Investigator Gregg Junnier, 40, suffered three gunshot wounds -- one in his chest which was protected by a bulletproof vest, one in the side of the face, and one in the leg. The second officer, 38-year-old Investigator Gary Smith, received one gunshot wound to his left leg. The third officer, 38-year-old Investigator Cary Bond, received one gunshot wound to his left arm.

After the shooting Tuesday night, Johnston’s relatives rushed to the scene. They told reporters that they were convinced the police made a mistake and went to the wrong house.

"They done the wrong house," said Johnston’s niece, Sarah Dozier. "And they killed her! This lady lived to be 92. She lived to be 92 and in good health. They went in there and she was scared to death."

According to family members, Johnston lived alone. Dozier said that Johnston did have a firearm. She says she took her aunt to get a permit for that firearm for her own protection.

Chief Dreher said officers search Johnson's home after the shooting and seized some suspected narcotics
, which are being analyzed at a laboratory. He did not know if Ms. Johnston was suspected of being involved in any drug deals at the home.

"Any death is a tragic death," said Dreher. "What we do know is that she was elderly. She also shot three police officers. Our heartfelt prayers go out because it's just a tragic and unfortunate incident."

The three injured officers were placed on administrative leave with pay. All have been released from the hospital.

Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard also spoke at Wednesday's news conference. He said a preliminary review shows the officers acted appropriately, but that his office is conducting its own independent investigation.

it's people like swatmedic - who you should be trying REALLY HARD to convince with reasoned arguments.

I have been on many SWAT callouts, and I know the type of people I have encountered, So I remain convinced on the need for SWAT teams for some types of missions. for the record my team is not used for those types of warrent services, unless there is evidence of armed people inside. The suspected presence of weapons in the house is not enough to trigger a SWAT entry.
I find it interesting that the very people who distrust the media on most things, all of a sudden take for gospel the reporters account of this story just because it jibes with their own preconceived stereotypes. As far as Radley Balko goes, he has beeen spouting his anti police, pro drug message for years. His blog, the Agitator, does not allow any dissenting comments. He is also a frequent guest on the radio talk show circut, when he is confronted by officers who have first hand knowledge of some of the incidents he discusses, the caller is cut off, and not allowed to present their side.

I find it interesting that the very people who distrust the media on most things, all of a sudden take for gospel the reporters account of this story just because it jibes with their own preconceived stereotypes.
No, actually it's because it's happened before. What's coming out now is suggesting it was a righteous shoot, however. However, my first reaction was "Oh, no, not again!"

This same scenerio happened to my older cousin years ago though all he heard was the door being kicked in met the police at the top of the stairs with a 12 gauge caught the cops with there pants down turned out wrong address pd wouldn't even pay to replace the door they destroyed

A minister was killed in Boston on a warrant served at the wrong address a few years ago. It happens, sadly.

Although, this seems like they served the right address, but got the wrong person in this case because the old woman thought she was being invaded, and shot first.

There was an episode approx. 2 years ago where some older folks (in their 70's as I recall) WERE dealing drugs. So, it's possible that this woman was too.

Mistakes will always happen. I have been on my share of "raids" to drug houses back in the day, and fortuantely, we never got one wrong.

As long as the drugs are out there, and the BGs are often times heavily armed and hiding in their reinforced homes, SWAT type raids will be more common place.

This was an unfortunate action that was initated by the deceased.

Back
Top Bottom