9 vs 40? seems like a lot of 40s around and no 9s?

seanc

NES Member
Is it me, or the time of year? but it seems like there seems to be an abundance (relatively speaking) of 40s out around while the same guns in 9mm seem much more available.

Are people just dumping the 40s and keeping 9s?

The cost of bullets has me firmly entrenched in the 9mm. No reason to pay extra for the .45 or 40 unless I'm shooting pins...
-Cuz.

I think the ammo cost has a lot to do with it. If people can get the same or similar guns chambered in either 9mm or 40s&w they will more likely than not choose the 9mm because of cheaper ammo. Especially if they are choosing a range toy and not a defensive handgun. SO therefore 9mm's are selling out and the .40's are left in the stores.

IMO .40s get abandoned more often because newbs buy them (after their fudd buddies all tell them "9mm ain't good enough get a .40 son!" but aren't
really prepared to deal with the added recoil and muzzle flip. A lot of people that bought them have done so without firing one beforehand or
they buy it as a first gun and get frustrated with it faster. They say "I can't hit anything with this gun!" but they're just flinching and jerking like
mad, most of the time, because they haven't become acclimated to the way the thing works.

Another reason .40s are more popular in MA is because of the stupid AWB. .40s are proportionally "more full" even with crippled magazines, and many buyers think given a limit of 10, that 10 .40s is better than 10 9's and a bunch of dead space in their gun.

-Mike

Last edited:
Another reason .40s are more popular in MA is because of the
stupid AWB. .40s are proportionally "more full" even with crippled
magazines, and many buyers think given a limit of 10, that 10 .40s is
better than 10 9's and a bunch of dead space in their gun.

-Mike

+ 1 to that. If your limited in one apect make up for it in another. I think the m&p9c is a great choice but in MA if you can only have a 10 round magazine and the same gun will hold 10 rounds of .40 S&W, I'd go for the .40. Of course there are many other factors in that argument such as recoil management and shortbarrel performance etc. None of this do I claim to be an expert on.

I choose the government size 1911 platform for all my needs and am happy with a 9 round capacity.

cheap practice

I bought my M&P9 specifically for the cheap ammo costs.
Hope to get a .45c when they are available.
Bill

9mm all the way. Those who claim it's ineffective obviously have never shot anyone with it. It'll do the trick, just get that "one-shot stop" mentality way out of your mind and you'll be fine. I choose 9mm because it's cheap, less recoil, higher capacity, plus with some good 124grian HP it'll put BG down for good.

My first pistol buy was my Glock 22 40S&W. At first it was a little intimidating and I had someone comment something like, "That's a good amount of gun for your first." But now that I've shot it a decent amount I like it a lot. The only other pistol I have right now is my Glock 26 9mm. It's definitely a totally different animal for many reasons. Let's just say that it's not my 26 that I keep with a mag at the ready in case someone breaks in. I'd want the BG to go down the first time and not have a split second to do something that I wouldn't want him doing.

Well , I am one of those people who don't go in for new fangled things. I'll stick with 44's & 45's. ... I hear those new "ACP" .45's are kind of cool - been around a while now , too.

Reality is I don't want to add another collection of brass , dies , and time to the reloading bench. 22's for throw away brass , 38 , 44mag , 45acp , & .223 is already too much stuff to keep stocked up on ...

45truth.jpg

I'll take an accurately placed 9mm over badly placed .40 or .45 any day.

I like all three and shoot each at different times depending on mood but I can see no point or value in running down any of the three calibers as long as you hit what and where your shooting!

Anyone of the three will drop the perp and all three calibers have been used to do so in the past by LE and Military!

Well , I am one of those people who don't go in for new fangled things. I'll stick with 44's & 45's. ... I hear those new "ACP" .45's are kind of cool - been around a while now , too....
Uhhh, 9x19 has been around just about 106 years and counting.

Hardly newfangled. [wink]

I don't see a use for 40 for me. If I want cheap practice at the range 9 is the way to go. If, FSM forbid, I need to shoot someone in self defense, I'll take the 45. 40 falls in between, and doesn't excel at either power or price. Also, sorting out the damn 40 brass is a pain in the ass. Sorting 9 and 45 is easy, having 40 mixed in slows it way down.

I don't see a use for 40 for me. If I want cheap practice at the range 9 is the way to go. If, FSM forbid, I need to shoot someone in self defense, I'll take the 45.
Silly me, practice and carry ammo are the same.

38 Smith & Wesson Special: putting bad guys to sleep forever since 1899.

9 mm Luger: doing the same since 1902.

Back
Top Bottom