9 mm Kel-Tec SUB-2000

What do you guys think of the SUB-2000? It weighs 4lbs, fires the same ammo as my Glock, and folds to a closed length of 16" for easy storage. (Wait, is that even MA-legal?) Four Seasons' website says it goes for $340.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/sub2000.htm

I think it falls in the category of "wicked cool", but I've never fired it. There have been positive reviews in the firearms section if you do a search. If I were going to commit to keeping a long arm in the car, I'd seriously consider it with magazines to match whatever pistol I was going to keep with it. I like that you could slip it in your backpack easily for low profile transport.

I had one and I thought it was kind of cool but also kind of cheaply made. The front sight seemed fragile and prone to breaking off or cracking. The ergonomics were not very good either, you had to squash your cheek hard into the stock to get a proper line of sight through the rear and front sight. I also had stovepipes when ejecting fairly often.

Evergreen,
I have one in .40 S&W and it works well with any ammo that I have tried so far.
It is reasonably accurate and entirely satisfactory for defensive purposes out to at least 100 yards.
I have trouble warming up to it though. It just doesn't inspire much pride of ownership for some reason.
I like my Win '94 .347 or my Marlin '94 .44 mag better.
The fact that the Keltek folds up and fits into a briefcase would probably make it first choice for a road trip though.
The only falut that I've found with it is that I keep loosing the goofy little key that locks the barrel folded.

Jack

I have a 9mm one with a few hundred rounds thru it. When I first got it I had some FTE and FTF's. After pulling it apart and giving it a bath in solvent it shot perfectly. The front sight does not inspire much confidence but it does work.

I have the S&W mag version, but I would recommend getting the Glock version since you can get some very large pre-ban mags for it. I bought the stock mounted magazine holder which is pretty nice. I also mounted a laser/light combo on the front which makes short range shooting pretty fun....bet it would be great for killing pumpkins.

I don't know why I bought the thing in the first place and I don't know what I would ever use it for other than pumpkin hunting...guess I just thought it was cool and it took a caliber that I reload so why not.

It just doesn't inspire much pride of ownership for
That really says a lot. Why buy/keep something you aren't proud of?

But I keep going back to the strengths of the SUB-2000:
1. It uses my Glock mags.
2. It folds up small.
3. It is the lightest of all carbines.
4. It is the least expensive to purchase and feed.

I think I'll mull this over some more before I make any decisions.

Here's a review that maybe puts this cabine in the right context:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/keltecmpblue.htm

Conclusions

The Sub 2K is NOT my go to arms rifle. What it is, however, is a very compact platform capable of firing a good pistol cartridge in times where I do not have access to my normal rifles.

Beyond that, it is a fun carbine and for me, very reliable, sturdy and practical for my hike home.

Has anyone fired the Kel Tec RFB? I haven't seen anything on the forum about this gun.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/rfb.htm

What do you think of the design? Are they making a MA-legal version?

I read about this in a gun mag a while back, I have interest in it, but iirc it was quite expensive.

Make that in 5.56 with USGI mags, and I may pick that up as a small grab bag rifle.

The High Point also takes various pistol magazines, and gets pretty good reviews. The only thing is the High Point isn't collapsible.

How about that one that folds into a little rectangle with carrying handle?

Either sounds like something for those of you who have a "bug out" bag thing.

related posts:

Last edited:
How about the Beretta CX4 Storm? It doesn't fold but is still fairly compact relative to most other rifles, and will make use of your 9mm ammo and Beretta mags. I love mine.

I'm not a fan of any bull pup designs; maybe its me but I have a difficult time with mag changes. I find that I have to take the weapon out of my shoulder to drop the mag and replace it with a freshy. ***only bull pup's I've shot are the SA80 and the AUG***

The KelTec is pretty cool but the sights on it kinda suck. If they improved the sights it would probably work somewhat better.

The gun will fit in a laptop bag when folded up. [laugh] That's the coolest
part about the whole thing.

-Mike

I have a sub 2000 in 9mm glock. Its never stovepiped or ftf'ed. The ergonomics are pretty bad. I hear a different front sight is available aftermarket. Its just a cool rifle for its light weight and compactness, perfect for BOB, car or backpack when carrying an AR15 would just be impractical.

Do you need to "Fluff and Buff" the rifles like you do the pistols?

It won't help!! [thinking]

I bought one in G17 style back when they came out.

My comments on this gun:

- Super light, too much so for me to be comfortable with it as a rifle.

- Front sight is a total loss wrt adjusting it. There is no way to accurately make adjustments to it, so don't touch it or you will be sorry!!

- Someone mfd a steel front sight for this gun, cost was $80+. Not sure if it is still available or not, but I thought it too expensive for such a cheap gun. Thoughts of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear came to mind when I read about these sights.

I sold mine to another NES'r.

I have one....I always thought of it as a toy....until....well, until December of this year....that ugly ice storm we got...quoting myself on another forum:

"I've been without power since Thursday night/ Friday morning. I have a small collection at home. It's interesting to see, four days later, what I have close at hand while camping out at a buddies house...

I have a J-Frame, which is with me when I have pants on...I grabbed my 9mm P99 and my Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9MM....Why? Easy to move, easy to transport and dead nuts reliable...it made me think about what I have always considered my SHTF guns...you know, the 12GA and the few others are perfect for at home, but the Kel-Tec is serving a real purpose other than a "fun gun" for the first time....interesting, I'd never thought of it as a SHTF gun, it was always a backpacking gun, and used primarily for Carbine matches....made me think and reconsider it's role in my life...."

For me, there is something to be said for lugging around a gym bag that had a carbine in it in case something went bad...it was a lot easier than transporting a rifle case...it's ugly, cheaply built, but mine goes bang every time...

I've never owned one, but I've heard lots of people claim their gun is 'reliable' and goes 'bang everytime I pull the trigger' a lot, and been on the range when they start to put the gun tryly through its paces it starts to malfunction.

Easy range shooting is one thing, where your life depends on it is another. You try whacking the front on something and see if it still holds zero? I ask this because I have heard this part can be a point of failure on it and banging the front sight can be seen as a common occurance, hell, I sometimes bang the front sight on my AR carbine from time to time by accident.

I wish someone would make a semi-automatic carbine in 10mm that uses Glock 20 Magazines. The 10mm round makes much better use of a 16" barrel than a 9mm does.

I just wish Ruger would bring back a new and improved PC9 and PC40 carbine! Also have them bring back the .44 Deerfield, and also come out with a .357 Deerfield. For that matter, redo the PC9/PC40 and come out with those in wood stocks as well.

Last edited:
I love my 10mm. I have 165grain golden sabers and 180 grain gold dots for it. The GS's come out of the standard 10mm pipe between 1400-1500fps. The 180grain gold dots are pushing 1200-1300fps. (These are not Remingon or Speer loads but full-house 10mm loads)

I would really like to see what you could get out of a 16" pipe. Just wish someone would build the platform.

Anyone have any experience with this conversion kit: http://www.mechtechsys.com/ ? I'm not sure buying another glock 20 to built a carbine is the best solution, but it's an option. Ensure magazine compatibility. I think the fixed stock version without a flash-hider would be MA legal.

For a compact carbine , my friend has a nice solution, a Winchester 94AE in 44 magnum (which goes with the 44 magnum Ruger revolver).

That's what I'm looking for a Carbine/Pistol combo in the same caliber. I have the Glock 20 and like the 10mm cartriage. Plus a 15rd magazine capacity ads a nice touch.

Add inter-changeable magazines so you only need one set and it works for both weapons, and you minimize over-head.

For me, there is something to be said for lugging around a gym bag that had a carbine in it in case something went bad...it was a lot easier than transporting a rifle case...it's ugly, cheaply built, but mine goes bang every time...

It would've been great to have one of those in the ice storm, all I had with me was two pistols.

Unfortunately it's made out of blued steel, which corrodes in my hands in a matter of hours. [crying] If they made one in hard chrome I'd buy it.

I wish someone would make a semi-automatic carbine in 10mm that uses Glock 20 Magazines. The 10mm round makes much better use of a 16" barrel than a 9mm does.

Or even the .357Sig.

That sounds like an AMAZING idea!

I'd also like to see Glock make super-high cap G18 style mags in 10mm, .357 SIG, .40, etc.

Back
Top Bottom