782 Gear or Fatboy ?

Twigg

NES Member
Decision time for me. I'll be taking some training this year for carbine & pistol. I'm not sure of what to use for gear. Part of me wants to go with old school 782 gear like I used in the service similar to this:
alice_fighting_load.jpg

Except without the entrenching tool and adding a small buttpack.

Either that or I'll get back in on the Maxpedition group buy for a Fatboy pack;
0403k_1784_general.jpg

My thoughts are;
1. 782 gear is more familiar to me (OK I haven't used any in about 30 years) but I know how it works, how to set it up and realistically its better for shooting prone and moving. If the zombies ever do come, I'll be ready. Disadvantage is it'll stay home most of the time.

2. Fatboy looks like it'll hold a Ton O' Crap but flop about and be awkward to retrieve mags from. I really can't see myself using one of these things for "casual" use, so it'll stay home most of the time too.

I figure either one has to be better than trying to stick a couple of thirty round mags in my pockets. I've ruled out "assault" vests and Com-block style chest rigs as too awkward (IMO anyway.).

I've found US Cavalry has a great selection of 782 gear and am tempted to make a purchase today.

I'd like to know what you guys use and your opinions on this gear please.

Last edited:
Wear what works for you. I don't think the Versipak is going to much help in a carbine course.
I wear a 511 tactical vest. It has pockets for 2 AR mags, plus pockets in the back for a water bottle. I've heard all the arguments about the 511 vest, how they make you look tacticool, "they scream gun" etc. I believe you should train in the gear you will most likely use in real life. If I get into a situation where I employ a carbine, I will more likely be grabbing my vest, then some super cool chest rig as seen on the internet.

Arktis 1642, (new designation M173) and be done with it. Best of both worlds with a ton of room and expandability, won't break the bank and will feel somewhat familiar to you. The problem I see with the Maxpedition is that though it would make a superb "grab and go", to use it tactically may present a challenge. Here's my thoughts on it - take it for what it's worth: It is not a small bag - you would have to make sure this puppy was secured to a belt - especially if you're on the run. Transitioning from carbine to pistol will be a feat and there are those of us, (perhaps you included), whom for having mags located strong-side could be a disadvantage. I don't see rapid mag changes as a benefit of a Maxpedition, even if you go for a weak side bag. A vest like an Arktis allows you to customize where you place your mags and other gear and won't be in the way during transition time. Think about one of the ways in which you will fight - on your belly. If you're right handed, you have your weapon on your shoulder, mag goes empty and it's time for a change. Dropping your right hand from your weapon and reaching to your strong side to fumble around in a bag, (flap and zipper) for a fresh mag may be cumbersome. Outside the Arktis, you could go for a plate carrier, (Molle) and add pouches and bags where you need them - this seems a popular way to go, but for me Arktis is the best of all worlds. Functional, modular and accessible. The link below is to a post written by a man named J. Boyette. This article, coupled with a plethora of PM's between us, helped me to change the way I think about tactical gear. Prior to my 1624, I had experimented with a variety of vests and plate carriers with mixed results. I have also seen folks with gear on that may look cool in photographs or on a static range, but would be nearly impossible to fight with. The advice from Mr. Boyette, (who uses his gear for a living), coupled with the subsequent Arktis 1624 purchase sealed it for me...Hope this helps.

http://www.m-14forum.com/upload/showpost.php?p=208012&postcount=7

http://www.arktisusa.com/AssaultRigs/ArktisRigs/

782 or Fatboy

Twigg,

I use both, the jumbo versipack (black) as my go-bag and the 782 as a standardized gear for training. What I find is that I need to train with BOTH. The Man-Purse is what winds up with me all the time, the 782 macrame's itself in the truck within 3 minutes making it truly IMPOSSIBLE to put on, the M-urse slides on quickly and sorta suffices.

Now...if you want something that is SUPERB, go here:

http://stractech.com/

I have watched this evolve since it's first incarnation and is a SUPERB piece of gear.

This might not be available yet (for the public) I know the .mil are getting the first batches. Do email the owner (I have known him for a while, good guy, good product) tell him I sent you!

Andy

Yeah it is

You need to use it to appreciate it.....talk about speedy loading! It's in use by some fairly high speed folks now in dusty, sand environments (unsure if I can divulge who, it might be on the web site).

I am in touch with the owner/inventor and will keep everyone apprised of this and his other items (no, I cannot mention them, DON'T ask!).

;)

Andy

You need to use it to appreciate it.....talk about speedy loading! It's in use by some fairly high speed folks now in dusty, sand environments (unsure if I can divulge who, it might be on the web site).

I am in touch with the owner/inventor and will keep everyone apprised of this and his other items (no, I cannot mention them, DON'T ask!).

;)

Andy

I hear ya - I'm in the same boat with Troy stuff...Mum's the word... [wink]

How about going the surplus route and buy a LBV88. The Arktis is around 200 dollars, you can find the G.I. LBV for 69 dollars new from Brigade Quartermasters. I'm sure at a good army/navy store you can find a used one on the cheap. Find a cheap ruck, pistol belt and add two mag pouches and you can comfortably carry 12 mags and have extra room in your buttpack for stuff. My 2 cents.

Now...if you want something that is SUPERB, go here:

http://stractech.com/

I have watched this evolve since it's first incarnation and is a SUPERB piece of gear.

Hey, you ain't kiddin there ! This is now in "Pre-Order" status. At 3 hunnered smackaroos it ain't cheap but then good gear never is.

If you click on the black "training video" you'll get a YouTube video showing everything about the system. Kind of a "magazine" for your magazines !

Ths definitely merits some serious consideration. Thanks ! [smile]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom