74-year-old golfer shoots man for walking his dog on Palm Beach course

Reptile

NES Member
There’s no mulligan for attempted murder.

A tranquil Palm Beach County golf course exploded in gunfire Sunday after a 74-year-old member allegedly shot a man for walking his dog on the greens — as other retirees gawked from their balconies, according to police.

Robert Levine, originally from New York and now living in Florida, is facing attempted murder raps after confronting Herbert Merritt, 64, at the Kings Point golf course in Delray Beach.

Levine was puttering along in his golf cart when he spotted Merritt walking a pooch close to the course grounds, according to a police report.

Levine sped his vehicle up to Merritt and began berating him for the offense before pulling out a black handgun, authorities said.

Merritt took off running and tried to take cover near a course tree while Levine gave chase on foot and squeezed off several rounds.

Merritt eventually went down at the 15th hole after being struck in the ankle, cops said.

Levine then allegedly returned to his golf cart, retrieved a club and began clobbering Merritt as he writhed on the ground, the report stated.

One witness saw the chaos unfold from his balcony overlooking the course and called the police. He told officers that he saw Levine kick Merritt in the head at one point.

Another woman said she was relaxing in bed when she heard the gunfire pop near the rear of her residence. She claimed she came out and saw Levine firing at Merritt.

The witness said she also saw Levine bashing his victim with a club in one hand and the firearm in the other.

Continues...

Didn’t we have a member moving to Kings Point? I warned against it — my grandparents had a place at deaths sunny waiting room. Spent many a January down there.

I was a short order cook at a Golf Club back in the 80’s (high school). I hated the golfers. Bunch of entitled f-cks.

The dogwalker should have been carrying. Put a round right in grandpa’s face.

Agreed. Hope the old bastard has a heart attack while servicing his new prison room mates.

Doesn't it sound like the dog walker was not on the course? "near the course grounds" and was chased onto the course by the old guy?

YEah. So that first sentence of hte article is totally incongruent to the remainder of hte article. Never again does it say the guy was walking his dog on the greens. Maybe the journalist has never swung a golfs or something.

They may need to update their rules.

Rules

Metal Spikes Allowed: no
Play Fives: yes
Guest Policy Rules: Open
Dress Code Policy: No tank tops or cutoffs
Advance Tee Time Notice: 1 days
When walking a dog please carry a pistol with a capacity of more than 10 rounds. This isn't Massachusetts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom