7.62x39 shortage

I have been giving some serious thought about getting a SKS. The only real reason I'm having doubts about picking one up is no one seems to have any 7.62x39 in stock. Last month I was at 3 different gun stores and none of them had any 7.62x39 in stock. The answer I got from all of them was it will come in sooner or later we are looking for some now. But I got the feeling that even if it came in I would be lucky to get any it would go so fast.

The way it looks to me is there more 7.62x39 rifles being sold than any other caliber causing a real demand for it.

The more I think about it I wonder if I would be better off just getting a Bushmaster or even one of the Savage package deals with the scope in either .223 or 308. I just want some thing to sit down and shoot at the range every once in a while. . There never seems to be a shortage of .223. Or for that matter any American caliber.

Any one got any thoughts about this?

I have heard that 7.62x39 will be coming back soon. I doubt this shortage will last forever - just too many rifles chambered for this to end production.

But if you are considering a Savage package deal I just put a Model 16 (with scope) in .223 up for sale in the classfieds.

Supply and demand, I think. It's probably the most used military rifle round in the world. Right now, the a lot of it is being used in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other countries. I'd guess the US is buying a lot of it to supply the Iraqi and Afghanistan armies. I know there's probably a lot of it in those countries already, but the armies can't depend on finding it to keep supplied.

Production will start to catch up with demand and supply won't be a problem. Cost will probably go up, but how much is anyone's guess.

Gary

I have seen lots of it around lately, but it's at $3-$4/box vs $2-$3/box
a couple of years ago. Still waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than any other
.30 cal rifle ammo out there (tried pricing .308 lately ? [frown] )

F

Its coming back around at about $30 more per case. Several companies are getting it in now and since most have bought it all up and are sitting on what they have, the prices will stabilize and more will be available soon as people stock up or have already stocked up. Try some gun shows that have more than just the NY brothers selling ammo. The $200 a case they were asking is just plain stupid. I'd say fair price is $130, with $150 being the most i'd ever pay. Even at that price, a case will last you a long time and is still the same price if not cheaper than most semi auto rifle ammo.
Try seeing of some local gun store owners can get you a case. Best thing is to bring an add from a place out of Shotgun News advertising it at the usual $130 price and see if you can have it sent to them. Of course if they're selling it for $5 a box or you don't know them too well, your chances of having them do it for you are slim.

Back
Top Bottom